Budget First time build gaming pc

Hello I'm asking for help on making a gaming pc because this is going to be my first, also im on a budget of 500-750 dollars or a little more
I'm hoping it will be able to run battlefield or skyrim as close as ultra settings. So like i said this is going to be my first and i need help, and i have no clue on parts but im sure i can build it. thanks.

Approximate Purchase Date: the month or next
Budget Range: $500-750

System Usage :mainly gaming and movies

Parts Not Required: monitor, keyboard, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none as long as it is good.

Country: usa

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: maybe

SLI or Crossfire: maybe
59 answers Last reply
More about budget time build gaming
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078 - $124.99
    Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157246 - $69.99
    ASRock H61ICAFE LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311 - $39.99
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233 - $49.99
    COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767 - $84.99
    Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151233 - $17.99
    SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-222AB - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094 - $59.99
    SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161382 - $309.99 - $10MIR
    HIS IceQ Turbo H697QT2G2M Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

    Total: $757.92 - $10MIR
  2. I'd probably drop down to a 6950 2gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161388(OC it to the same performance as the 6970) which will save you $80 and upgrade to the 2500k.
  3. * sorry my link didn't work and it will save you $50, so you could grab the i5 2400 if you're tight on budget, or get the 2500k. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161372
  4. how much would it benefit and what do you mean by
    Quote:
    I'd probably drop down to a 6950 2gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 4161388(OC it to the same performance as the 6970) which will save you $80 and upgrade to the 2500k
  5. do you need OS?
    also I'd get 560Ti it can OC to performance of 570
  6. i don't need an os i got mine, what do you mean performance of 570
  7. I mean fps in games will almost equal GTX 570
  8. so what drunkducki wrote would be good except performance and would it be better to get a i5 2500
  9. Why do you need 2 GB of Video memory? Won't 1 GB be enough?
  10. You can always drop the optical drive and just install from usb if you have another computer(Which i'm guessing you do). Will save you a bit of money
  11. if ur resolution is 1080p max then 1Gb is enough especially if u don't plan on cf or sli
    I don't think they make Hd6970 1gb
    yes performance be better with i5
    but remember that only H67, P67 and Z68 will be able to support Ivy bridge .. so u'll need to change mobo too.
    Also if you need OS that's another 100
  12. imbrawler said:
    how much would it benefit and what do you mean by
    Quote:
    I'd probably drop down to a 6950 2gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 4161388(OC it to the same performance as the 6970) which will save you $80 and upgrade to the 2500k

    I mean drunkducki recommended an i3 and a 6970 gpu, and I would recommend upping the processor to the 4 core i5 2500k (which gives you 2 more cores, and lots of overclockability), and drop the graphics card down to the 6950 2gb, which is basically the same card as the 6970 (and when you overclock it, it can be even faster).
  13. Oh and if you can, drop the cd drive and pick up a z68 or p67 motherboard to utilize the 2500k's ability to overclock.
  14. elayman said:
    Oh and if you can, drop the cd drive and pick up a z68 or p67 motherboard to utilize the 2500k's ability to overclock.

    so everything seems good and up the to i5 and down to a 6950 2gb, and it should work with the motherboard you said? Another thing would it fit in the case and would the power supply still be fine.
  15. 6950 is not the same as 6970. It doesn't overclock much (compared to 560ti) and the only way you can make it perform like 6970 is to unlock shaders if u lucky enough and have the right card
  16. what do you mean unlock shaders and the right card are there different types of the same one.
  17. another thing what would do you guys think would be the overall best build
  18. some of the cards could be unlocked .. it's not certain manufacturer it's just some cards .. so if you r lucky u get extra $100 performance for free
    I'd go for intel i3-2100 on a H67 board and 560Ti
  19. so the i5 would be better for future proof.
  20. just for performance
  21. madchemist83 said:
    some of the cards could be unlocked .. it's not certain manufacturer it's just some cards .. so if you r lucky u get extra $100 performance for free
    I'd go for intel i3-2100 on a H67 board and 560Ti

    which 560Ti would your be speaking of because i typed it in in newegg and it game me a bunch
  22. either evga, asus or msi
  23. here is what u want for a good gaming pc

    processer

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 - $209
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

    motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130629- $79.99
    MSI H61MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

    psu

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028- $69.99 or 49.99 with rebate
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    ram

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231421- $18.99
    G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT

    or

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178333
    PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model MD8192KD3-1333

    gpu

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125372- $239.99
    GIGABYTE GV-R695UD-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

    hard drive

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840- $119.99
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    dvd drive

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136236- $18.99
    LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS70 - OEM

    this all will cost u about $750 or maybe 755 this all i would like to buy for a gaming pc and its ur choise what u want 2 buy for a good gaming pc in that budget i i have given my suggestion in the link and i have written down what i would like to buy.
  24. sunnk said:
    here is what u want for a good gaming pc

    processer

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 - $209
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

    motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130629- $79.99
    MSI H61MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

    psu

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028- $69.99 or 49.99 with rebate
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    ram

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231421- $18.99
    G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT

    or

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178333
    PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model MD8192KD3-1333

    gpu

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125372- $239.99
    GIGABYTE GV-R695UD-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

    hard drive

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840- $119.99
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    dvd drive

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136236- $18.99
    LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS70 - OEM

    this all will cost u about $750 or maybe 755 this all i would like to buy for a gaming pc and its ur choise what u want 2 buy for a good gaming pc in that budget i i have given my suggestion in the link and i have written down what i would like to buy.

    some of the links you gave me said they were deactivated. i liked to see them.
    the motherboard,psu,ram,gpu,harddrive,and hard drive,
  25. Why would you get 2500k and h61 mobo? Also that psu will not allow you to sli/cf
  26. so this is what i got

    processer
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K $219.99
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077
    Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120 $119.99

    motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711
    ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel $114.99

    power supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094
    SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $59.99

    ram
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL $39.99

    hard drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767
    Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $84.99

    dvd drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151233
    SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-222AB - OEM $17.99

    gpu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130683
    EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $279.99
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102954
    SAPPHIRE 100312-3L Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $259.99 (plan to overclock)

    for the case i have no clue so still need help there and please tell me whats the better setup.
  27. imbrawler said:
    some of the links you gave me said they were deactivated. i liked to see them.
    the motherboard,psu,ram,gpu,harddrive,and hard drive,


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013- $69.99 - $54.99 after rebate
    XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    or

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171038- $59.99
    COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

    both psu are good and from well knon company and i m using cooler master cooler and psu from 2 years i didn't get any problems with it and they both are good.well xfx psu are also good with strong power in it so i will say u 2 buy xfx psu if u want.

    motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130598- $79.99

    or with usb 3.0

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130569#top- $84.99
    MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

    the ram u have choosen is correct

    gpu

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125385#top- $239.99
    GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

    hard drive

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840#top- $119.99
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

    now this is the perfect config from the previus one and if u r a serious gamer so i think u should buy an core i5 2500k to see benchmark just click on the link below

    http://www.anandtech.com/Bench/CPU

    and amd ati radeon hd 6950 is one step ahead of gtx 560 ti that u can see on the bench mark

    http://www.anandtech.com/Bench/GPU11
  28. True but 56 ti can be oced well past 6950
  29. ok so i been looking around and saw this
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=93094&CatId=7005
    XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 Video Card - 2GB, DDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), HDMI, Dual DVI, 2x Mini DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready
    so this one is cheaper than the sapphire and was wonder which on is better
    Also the motherboard sunnk shows
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130569 top- $84.99
    MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    could it work with an overclock i5
    or this one
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=93474&CatId=6978
    MSI P67A-G43 B3 Intel P67 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel P67 Express, DDR3 2133MHz (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH HD Audio, Gigabit LAN, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, CrossFireX Ready
    and still looking for a case and a power supplier that would support overclock and i5
  30. Sapphire is better.
    H67 will not let you oc ur cpu. I would step up on mobo.
    If you don't plan on sli/cf then 600w psu is good.
    For case go with fractal design arc midi. Hands down best midi tower
  31. madchemist83 said:
    Sapphire is better.
    H67 will not let you oc ur cpu. I would step up on mobo.
    If you don't plan on sli/cf then 600w psu is good.
    For case go with fractal design arc midi. Hands down best midi tower

    so what mobo would be best and as well as psu just in case.
  32. Gigabyte z68 x-ud3
  33. would this one do good
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=344432&CatId=7212
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Intel Z68 Motherboard - Micro ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z68 Express, 1333MHz DDR3, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, CrossFire/SLI Ready
  34. Not really
  35. yes madchemist83 is right the Gigabyte z68 x-ud3 is the best motherboard and it has pcie gen 3 but it will cost u more out of ur budget. let come to the gpu sapphire graphics cards are good enough and it will cost u at low price and good performence.

    if u want that motherboard u should choose

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502#top - $129.99 that will cost u little bit more
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    or

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271#top (same price)
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  36. u have 2 good choises 1 is hd 6950 2gb which is good for gaming and one is gefroce 560 ti which is good for both gaming and overclockingso i have 2 choises of mine for u

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102945#top- $279.99.or with rebate $259.99

    SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

    or

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130683#top- $279.99.or with rebate 269.99

    EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

    this both are good for gaming that u want dont be confuse just took one of that.
  37. So this should be what im going to get
    the graphics
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=754336
    Sapphire 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Video Card - 2GB, DDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), HDMI, Dual DVI, DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, CrossFireX Ready, FREE Dirt3 Game Download Coupon 259.99
    then the mobo is
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 129.99
    as for the case this is what i found
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007 $99.99
    would there be anything cheaper that would fit all this?
  38. There is but that case is very well build, superb cable management and will last u for future upgrades
  39. How about a psu that would handle oc for the radeon and i5?
  40. would this be a good psu
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=899124&Sku=T925-6000
    Thermaltake TR-600 TR2 ATX Power Supply - 600W, 120mm Fan, Cable Managment Optimized
  41. Its allright check pc power and cooling and seasonic
  42. heres another one i just found much cheaper with 680w

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1899444&CatId=1483
    Apevia / Beast Power / 680-Watt / ATX / Triple Fan / Aluminum / SLI-Ready / SATA Ready / Blue Sleeve / Power Supply
  43. Definetly no. bad psu
    Here is little list for reference http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showthread.php?104334-Power-Supply-Ranking-Phase-I
    Pc power and cooling mk iii 600w is a good one
  44. madchemist83 said:
    Definetly no. bad psu
    Here is little list for reference http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showthread.php?104334-Power-Supply-Ranking-Phase-I
    Pc power and cooling mk iii 600w is a good one


    im lost does the list go from 1-5 tier one being best or worst?
    and if you can provide a like for good one that would be cheap yet support oc,and / or sli because I cant seem to find a good one thanks.
  45. i must say u if u want 2 buy an psu with cf and sli i think u should go with cooler master psu it is good one and a good company also.
  46. this one will be ok for u with 600 watt and low noise.


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036#top - $ 94.99 and $64.99 with rebate.
  47. and how would you run cf on Hd 6950 with only 2 pcie power connectors?
    don;t listen to him 600W is not enough to power cf of those two
  48. madchemist83 said:
    and how would you run cf on Hd 6950 with only 2 pcie power connectors?
    don;t listen to him 600W is not enough to power cf of those two


    i mention upper sli and cf cooler master and which i have given there is without cossfire ok. i m not a ideot to tell that any one to take an 600 watt psu for cf because cf minimum requirment is of 750 to 800 watts of the newer graphic card .i have written there 600watts of psu without cf because u have already given the links of the gaming psu.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product