Which upgrade path should I take for next 1-2 years?

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hi guys/girls, what are your suggestions on how I should go about future upgrades for the next 1-2 years?

My motherboard is the ASUS M4A785-M, which is DDR2 1033 and can support up to the Phenom II X6 1100T. Right now, I've got 6GB DDR2 800 and an Athlon II X4 635.

First Path: I've been considering upgrading my board to one with DDR3/AM3+ so that way I can keep the Athlon II 635 for at least the next 6 months while being able to take advantage of the super cheap, reliable name brand 8GB DDR3 RAM you can get right now. Then later, I can go to the X6 when it drops in price or get whatever better AM3+ CPU comes out.

Second Path: Ditch AMD path and go with a new Intel CPU & board with DDR3 off the bat. I have little to no experience with Intel processors, and this looks more expensive to me.

What should I do? I don't really know what's coming up in the future for these products, so I want to think it through before I buy. Much thanks & happy holidays.

You need to tell us your system uses (favorite games for example). You may not need to upgrade yet. I'm on my second ssd, and will never go back to a regular hardrive, since I don't need alot of storage space. But your needs may be different. Video card or onboard video?

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I'm not the biggest gamer, but I do play games like GTAIV and CoD. Looking to get LA Noire and F3AR soon. I want faster responsiveness in everyday computing, esp when I have multiple things like photoshop, internet, and itunes open.

I'm sticking with mechanical HD space since I don't want to pay $100+ for 60GB (bought an OCZ SSD but am now returning it). And I'm gonna keep my GTX 460 for the next year.

I've recommended the newegg shellshocker specials since they come with a hardrive and 25% discount. Todays includes a great antec case and power supply, but you may not like the board or cpu. The hardrive included is what makes it a bargain, since prices are so high right now.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Then you do want an SSD. You have plenty of memory already, and faster memory will be barely noticeable. Since I got an SSD, I boot in about 30 seconds, and shut off in about 10. Word opens instantaneously. Huge things unzip in the blink of an eye.

You also want at least a quad-core CPU. That's where the multitasking is.

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

I would get a SSD, though I can't help but see a bunch of people talking about how their TRIM-enabled SSDs slow down after a while, and how a few months to a year the drive gives out all-together. I also hear a lot about SSDs not liking Win7 sleep. I like Win7 sleep and put my computer in it all the time. I really just wanna give the SSD market a little more time before investing money into one.

The 635 is a quad-core.

Edit---
I don't really mind the current loading times on such programs that I mentioned, or even the Win7 login time (30s is good enough for me). I'm just talking about like my comp handling a bunch of programs at once. I've been noticing that chrome starts to lag when I have +15 tabs open.