Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Power supply connection questions

Last response: in Systems
December 22, 2011 9:04:32 PM

First time builder a bit confused about the cables connecting various components to the power supply. Not sure what to call the various connectors so I will just describe them. Specific questions are below and any help with proper terminology would be appreciated.

Components of interest:
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case
Corsair 650W PSU
ASROCK Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 MotherBoard
GigaByte 6850 GPU

-Case front fan has a white connection with 2pins going into 3 hole connector. That cable continues to a pair of four prong connectors. It appears that the white connections can be detached and plug into the MotherBoard, while one or both four prong connectors can plug into the PSU. Am I supposed to plug the fan directly to the motherboard, or use the other set of connectors to PSU? Why are there two different four prong connectors on such a cable?

-I connected the PSU cable labeled PCI-E to my GPU six prong connection. There is a short, two-prong wire tail also connected to that PCI-E cable. Is that two-prong tail supposed to be connected to anything?

-Several of the PSU cables have several four-prong connectors spaced about four inches apart, with a smaller type of four-pin connector at the end. Why are there duplicate connections on the same cable and why a different connector at the end? Do you attach multiple components to each cable? If I'm only attaching one component, it is better to attach to the connector closest to PSU, or farther out?

thank for any help

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 22, 2011 9:33:05 PM

vabuilder said:
First time builder a bit confused about the cables connecting various components to the power supply. Not sure what to call the various connectors so I will just describe them. Specific questions are below and any help with proper terminology would be appreciated.

Components of interest:
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case
Corsair 650W PSU
ASROCK Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 MotherBoard
GigaByte 6850 GPU

-Case front fan has a white connection with 2pins going into 3 hole connector. That cable continues to a pair of four prong connectors. It appears that the white connections can be detached and plug into the MotherBoard, while one or both four prong connectors can plug into the PSU.
1) Am I supposed to plug the fan directly to the motherboard, or use the other set of connectors to PSU?
2 ) Why are there two different four prong connectors on such a cable?

-I connected the PSU cable labeled PCI-E to my GPU six prong connection. There is a short, two-prong wire tail also connected to that PCI-E cable.
3 ) Is that two-prong tail supposed to be connected to anything?

-Several of the PSU cables have several four-prong connectors spaced about four inches apart, with a smaller type of four-pin connector at the end. 4 ) Why are there duplicate connections on the same cable and why a different connector at the end?
5 ) Do you attach multiple components to each cable?
6 ) If I'm only attaching one component, it is better to attach to the connector closest to PSU, or farther out?

thank for any help

1. Your choice
2. It's a pass thru connector, let's you plug in other periphs.
3. Not unless the card needs an 8 pin connection.
4. It's just the way they were set up, assuming drives wouldn't be spread around the case, the different connector is for the FDD
5. You can
6. I prefer using the closest when I can, but it really doesn't matter a whole lot
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 80 ) Power supply
December 22, 2011 10:01:09 PM

You should have a little more experience in building s computer if you don't know how to make connections fron the power supply , this is important stuff as you do want the computer to turn on and work correctly.
The video card that you have has one 6 pin connector but there are other cards that require one 6 pin and one 8 pin power connectors and that is what that two pin wire that is hanging next to the 6 pin is for. I n order to not clutter the inside of the case needlessly a lot of the cables have multiple connectors on them to consolodate the connections. The power connectors distribute the power through the cable and it makes no differenc where on that cable you connect , you just try to coordinate the connections so all the components are connected without the cables running every which way , the objective is to connect everything and make it look neat. Especially if you have a side Window.
Score
December 22, 2011 11:05:19 PM

Best answer selected by vabuilder.
Score
!