Halo 3 to debut at the same time as the PS3

Last response: in Video Games
May 15, 2005 7:59:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Direct from the horse's mouth...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.ht...

More about : halo debut time ps3

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:00:05 PM

Strychnine wrote:

> A bold move in my opinion, quite ballsy..

Ballsy? I don't think they had any choice. Gotta have *something* to try to
counteract the PS3 hoopla when it comes out.

Man, that is gonna be a crazy time. Which do you play first, Halo 3 or your
PS3 launch games? Aieeee! :)

-Z-
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:22:16 PM

Zackman wrote:

> Ballsy? I don't think they had any choice. Gotta have *something* to
> try to counteract the PS3 hoopla when it comes out.
>
> Man, that is gonna be a crazy time. Which do you play first, Halo 3
> or your PS3 launch games? Aieeee! :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft slashes the price of Xbox360 just
before the PS3 is released, too.
May 15, 2005 11:11:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Oh yeah that's gonna matter, *YAWN*.
What's the point, really?
When you pick up a new console chances are you are going to pick up a couple
titles with it.
Most people that already own a 360 will just add Halo 3 to the list of games
they gotta grab while they're picking up their shinny new PS3.
Personally I could care less about Halo anymore, I am more into the Tom
Clancy games.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:46:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Gates has that quiet bloodlust common amongst people of English
descent.

"'The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into
Halo 3."

Too cruel, Gates!
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:29:04 PM

massivegrooves wrote:
> Hank the Rapper wrote:
> > Mattinglyfan wrote:
> >

> >>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3
by
> >>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
> >

> > Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the
same time.*

> > *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
> >

> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
them.
> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
they
> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new

> console coming out...

You're saying a price drop is bad?
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:52:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

>>I have never heard anyone in my life say I'm not going to purchase
the new <insert console name here> right now because an awesome title
is coming out on a system I already own.<<

No, but it will cut into the Sony hype machine that will be ramping up
for the launch. And, while it won't hurt PS3 sales with hardcore
gamers, it could hurt them with marginal players and average consumers
who are swayed by hype. If Sony lets MS keep it from generating a
critical mass of hype at that critical moment, sales will be hurt.

-Eric
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:00:22 PM

<elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message
> >>I have never heard anyone in my life say I'm not going to purchase
> the new <insert console name here> right now because an awesome title
> is coming out on a system I already own.<<
>
> No, but it will cut into the Sony hype machine that will be ramping up
> for the launch. And, while it won't hurt PS3 sales with hardcore
> gamers, it could hurt them with marginal players and average consumers
> who are swayed by hype. If Sony lets MS keep it from generating a
> critical mass of hype at that critical moment, sales will be hurt.

The same can be said about "Sony's hype machine" (your words) going into
over drive way before the XBox 360 is even lanuched to get their already
satisfied customers to be content to wait nothor year for their (Sony's)
next offering.
1 game will not deter sales away from a systems launch.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:24:40 PM

Scream wrote:
> Direct from the horse's mouth...
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.ht...

While I understand it from a marketting point of view, isn't it kind
of a slap in the face of fans?

Either they are going to rush Halo 3 out in order to make the date, or
they are going to have it finished and simply sit on it until the PS3
comes out. Either way, basically the fans get screwed. Which is
basically Microsoft's motto admittedly, but...

Anyway, I'd rather see them release Forza 2 on that day.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 8:53:35 PM

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Scream wrote:
> > Direct from the horse's mouth...
> >
> > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.ht...
>
> While I understand it from a marketting point of view, isn't it kind
> of a slap in the face of fans?
>
> Either they are going to rush Halo 3 out in order to make the date, or
> they are going to have it finished and simply sit on it until the PS3
> comes out. Either way, basically the fans get screwed. Which is
> basically Microsoft's motto admittedly, but...
>
> Anyway, I'd rather see them release Forza 2 on that day.

I'd rather see them lower the price and include a year free live or a killer
app as a pack-in.
That would actually cause a stir in sales of launching console.
A single game won't even cause a lil dent in sales.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 11:19:17 PM

Tommy Stenberg wrote:
> "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <7x%he.5425$Fe7.58753@news000.worldonline.dk>,
> > nobodysfool@dont.exist says...
> >> If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention
from the
> >> PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame
already. It's
> >> yesteryears news.
> >>
> >> Tommy
> >
> > You can't really be that ignorant, can you? Halo 2 had the largest
> > single day opening of any MEDIA event in history. That includes
movies,
> > DVD releases, CDs, etc. Halo 3 *WILL* screw up the PS3 launch.
>

> Yes, and it was also one of the biggest dissapointments of last year,

> remember? Halo have lost a lot of it's fanbase because of a rushed
sequel

Do you have any idea how popular Halo 2 is online?

> (that weren't really rushed, they had plenty of time to do it right -
the
> just didn't start working until it was too late). And regardless of
how
> popular a single game can be, it won't take the limelight of an
entirely new
> console of this proportion, this is the Playstation 3 we're talking
about.
> Not some unknown wannabe console-maker trying to make a buck. I'm
just being
> realistic here.

I don't think either of you are being realistic. No way is Halo
"yesteryears news" like you claimed, nor do I think it can screw up the
PS3 launch like Rob suggested.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 11:38:47 PM

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> massivegrooves wrote:
>> Hank the Rapper wrote:

> by
>> >

>> > Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the
> same time.*
>> >

>> > *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
>> >

>> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
>> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
> them.
>> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
> they
>> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
>
>> console coming out...
>
> You're saying a price drop is bad?

Hell no, not for us at least. Actually yes now that I think about it. I
plan on getting a 360 before the PS3. If I shell out full price and then
these jerk offs turn around and sell it for lower to compete with Sony, I
will be pissed. On top of that, it would make me wait for the system if I
thought I could get if for cheaper later. We aren't talking the price
difference between new and used games here. The figure would be somewhere
around 100 bones theoretically.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:25:10 AM

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
>> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
>> diverted to the PS3.
>>

> People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a $60-$70
> game.

Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage from
the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:25:11 AM

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
>>> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
>>> diverted to the PS3.
>>>

>> People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
>> $60-$70 game.
>

> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
> from the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.

If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
yesteryears news.

Tommy
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:25:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
> >> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
> >> diverted to the PS3.
> >>

> > People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
$60-$70
> > game.
>

> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
from
> the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.

You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the 360?
WOW! Gates is a genius.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:25:12 AM

--
Rob Berryhill
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Wrong, dong
"Tommy Stenberg" <nobodysfool@dont.exist> wrote in message

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
>>> $60-$70 game.
>>

>> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
>> from the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
>>

> If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
> PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
> yesteryears news.
>
> Tommy

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:25:13 AM

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>

>>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
>>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
>

> Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same time.*
>

> *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)

IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>
>> In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
>> having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
>
> Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
> time.*
>

> *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)

Now THAT would be ballsy!
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:25:14 AM

massivegrooves wrote:

> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
> to be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
> them. Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them
> believeing they have to do something drastic just to be able to
> compete with this new console coming out...

You mean like Sony dropping the price of the PS2 one day before Microsoft
announced the price cut for the Xbox? I don't think it would be seam like
that at all. The 360 would have been a year old already where the PS3 would
be more. It would be a bold move for sure.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:25:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

wrong, dong

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Hank the Rapper wrote:
>> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>>

>>>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
>>>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
>>

>> Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
>> time.*
>>

>> *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
>>

> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
> console coming out...

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:19:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <7x%he.5425$Fe7.58753@news000.worldonline.dk>,
> nobodysfool@dont.exist says...
>> If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
>> PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
>> yesteryears news.
>>
>> Tommy
>
> You can't really be that ignorant, can you? Halo 2 had the largest
> single day opening of any MEDIA event in history. That includes movies,
> DVD releases, CDs, etc. Halo 3 *WILL* screw up the PS3 launch.

Yes, and it was also one of the biggest dissapointments of last year,
remember? Halo have lost a lot of it's fanbase because of a rushed sequel
(that weren't really rushed, they had plenty of time to do it right - the
just didn't start working until it was too late). And regardless of how
popular a single game can be, it won't take the limelight of an entirely new
console of this proportion, this is the Playstation 3 we're talking about.
Not some unknown wannabe console-maker trying to make a buck. I'm just being
realistic here.

Tommy
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:19:43 AM

> I'm just being realistic here.

There is your big mistake.
Yah can't be realistic and use common sense while on usenet.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:50:39 AM

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
> $60-$70
>> > game.
>>

>> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
> from
>> the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
>
> You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
> Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the
> 360?
> WOW! Gates is a genius.

Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your product
in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by being a
stupid.

If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for its
product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of the
worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that needs to
be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from the
borderline buyers.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:50:40 AM

> the possible capture of market share from the
> borderline buyers.

You're missing the point entirely.
Exactly which of the 100+ million userbase of Sony will be border line
buyers?
Simply put. There is NO WAY in hell you are going to pass up purchasing an
entire system because of "1" title on another system. That is just plain
ass silly of you to imply otherwise.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:50:40 AM

The Don wrote:
> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

>>$60-$70

>>>Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
>>
>>from
>>
>>>the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
>>
>>You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
>>Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the
>>360?
>>WOW! Gates is a genius.
>>

> Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your product
> in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by being a
> stupid.
>
> If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for its
> product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of the
> worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that needs to
> be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from the
> borderline buyers.

"worlds biggest game ever"...you need to rethink that one.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 2:50:40 AM

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message news:4288971b$0$8120

> If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for its
> product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of the
> worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that needs
> be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from the
> borderline buyers.

"The sequel to the world's biggest ever game"? You mean the Xbox 360 is
launching Super Mario Bros. 2 on the same day as the PS3 launch? Wow.

Or did you mean Solitaire 2? I guess that makes more sense...at least
Microsoft owns the rights to Windows Solitaire.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:20:44 AM

Robert P Holley wrote:
> massivegrooves wrote:
>
>>Hank the Rapper wrote:

> by

>>>Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the
>>
> same time.*
>

>>>*There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
>>>

>>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove

>>be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
>
> them.
>
>>Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
>
> they
>
>>have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
>

>>console coming out...
>

> You're saying a price drop is bad?

There are instances where it can be...
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:23:33 AM

news:D tednflGXuelBRXfRVn-2A@suscom.com...

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>> the possible capture of market share from the
>> borderline buyers.
>
> You're missing the point entirely.
> Exactly which of the 100+ million userbase of Sony will be border line
> buyers?
> Simply put. There is NO WAY in hell you are going to pass up purchasing an
> entire system because of "1" title on another system. That is just plain
> ass silly of you to imply otherwise.

Halo 2 helped surge Xbox purchases in 2004, it also helped double
subscriptions to Xbox Live.

You also need to re-read my post, I clearly said 'borderline buyers' I did
not mention existing owners of PS2 would switch because of the dual
launch......... you need to relies that capturing market share is not just
about existing console owners........ but also about new entrants into the
console market, this strategy helps put Xbox360 in the limelight AGAIN at
the same time as PS3 which will reinforce the choice available to those
borderline buyers.

The Don

PS - stop being so defensive about a piece of plastic with
wires.............. My points are based on the merits of the Halo 3 launch
and is no way based on some mindless loyalty to a company that at the end of
the day gets richer from what I spend (Sony and MS)!!!

PSS - I own both consoles now and intend on doing so with the next
generation, so NO, I am not making a point based on blind loyalty to Xbox.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:23:34 AM

> PSS - I own both consoles now and intend on doing so with the next
> generation, so NO, I am not making a point based on blind loyalty to Xbox.

Oh yeah, P.S. - There is no such thing as "PSS", its PPS
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:23:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

And my point is based on the fact that a game no another system won't take
sales away from a new console system launch.
I own 3 XBox systems, 3 PS2's and we even have *cough* 1 GameCube in our
home. I am not basing my opinion on bias, if I was I would be in favor of
your argument since the XBox is my system of choice. I have never heard
anyone in my life say I'm not going to purchase the new <insert console name
here> right now because an awesome title is coming out on a system I already
own.

All this back and forth is a waste of time.
If anything Bungie and MS are going to hurt sales for Halo 3 and possibly
cause the game to be imcomplete or plagued with bugs from it being rushed to
meet that date. I doubt it will debut when the PS3 is released. Games
rarely ever hit their 1st release date. Just look at Halo 2 (delayed for
over a year plus) or Raibow Six 3 Lockdown (now it's pushed back to
September - originally slated for March)
Halo 2 was delayed forever and it still felt like it wasn't finished.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:25:40 AM

Tommy Stenberg wrote:
> "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <7x%he.5425$Fe7.58753@news000.worldonline.dk>,
>>nobodysfool@dont.exist says...
>>
>>>If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
>>>PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
>>>yesteryears news.
>>>
>>>Tommy
>>
>>You can't really be that ignorant, can you? Halo 2 had the largest
>>single day opening of any MEDIA event in history. That includes movies,
>>DVD releases, CDs, etc. Halo 3 *WILL* screw up the PS3 launch.
>

> Yes, and it was also one of the biggest dissapointments of last year,
> remember? Halo have lost a lot of it's fanbase because of a rushed sequel
> (that weren't really rushed, they had plenty of time to do it right - the
> just didn't start working until it was too late). And regardless of how
> popular a single game can be, it won't take the limelight of an entirely new
> console of this proportion, this is the Playstation 3 we're talking about.
> Not some unknown wannabe console-maker trying to make a buck. I'm just being
> realistic here.
>
> Tommy

Yep, Halo2 while a good game just didn't and couldn't live up to the
hype and expectations. Halo3 is likely to have a buzz going for it but
many will be less likely to go quite so far over the edge about it as
they did with the last one and then being letdown.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:30:05 AM

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> massivegrooves wrote:
>

>>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
>>to be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
>>them. Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them
>>believeing they have to do something drastic just to be able to
>>compete with this new console coming out...
>

> You mean like Sony dropping the price of the PS2 one day before Microsoft
> announced the price cut for the Xbox?

That is not quite the same, I think they both knew what the other was
going to do ;)

>I don't think it would be seam like
> that at all. The 360 would have been a year old already where the PS3 would
> be more. It would be a bold move for sure.

Yes it could/would be, but it also can be seen by the average
joe/consumers that it is a desperation type move just to stay in the
game...whether it is true or not. Most folks don't read newsgroups or
stay as up to date on gaming news and understand what may really be
going on. Perception could be that lowering the price with this others
arrival is a sign of weakness.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:30:06 AM

massivegrooves wrote:

> Yes it could/would be, but it also can be seen by the average
> joe/consumers that it is a desperation type move just to stay in the
> game...whether it is true or not. Most folks don't read newsgroups or
> stay as up to date on gaming news and understand what may really be
> going on. Perception could be that lowering the price with this others
> arrival is a sign of weakness.

It all depends on how you view the glass of water. ;)
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 3:32:16 AM

Mattinglyfan wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>
>>massivegrooves wrote:

>>by

>>same time.*

>>>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove

>>>be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
>>
>>them.
>>
>>>Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
>>
>>they
>>
>>>have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
>>
>>>console coming out...
>>
>>You're saying a price drop is bad?
>>

> Hell no, not for us at least. Actually yes now that I think about it. I
> plan on getting a 360 before the PS3. If I shell out full price and then
> these jerk offs turn around and sell it for lower to compete with Sony, I
> will be pissed. On top of that, it would make me wait for the system if I
> thought I could get if for cheaper later. We aren't talking the price
> difference between new and used games here. The figure would be somewhere
> around 100 bones theoretically.

Then there is that also, forgot about that. How many people are you
going to piss off royally when you drop your price who paid full price
at launch just a year ago...another negative outcome from doing it.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:30:55 AM

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>>

>> PSS - I own both consoles now and intend on doing so with the next
>> generation, so NO, I am not making a point based on blind loyalty to
>> Xbox.
>>

> Oh yeah, P.S. - There is no such thing as "PSS", its PPS

ROFLMAO - the old argument resorting to grammer, spelling etc...............
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:30:56 AM

The Don wrote:
> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>
>>"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>>

>>>PSS - I own both consoles now and intend on doing so with the next
>>>generation, so NO, I am not making a point based on blind loyalty to
>>>Xbox.
>>>

>>Oh yeah, P.S. - There is no such thing as "PSS", its PPS
>>

> ROFLMAO - the old argument resorting to grammer, spelling etc...............

You spelled "grammar" wrong.

Swi
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:32:11 AM

> The Don wrote:
>> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

>>>$60-$70

>>>from

>>>You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
>>>Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the
>>>360?
>>>WOW! Gates is a genius.
>>>

>> Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your
>> product in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by
>> being a stupid.
>>
>> If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for
>> its product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of
>> the worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that
>> needs to be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from
>> the borderline buyers.
>>

> "worlds biggest game ever"...you need to rethink that one.

rethink or requote............. this has been referenced in many
publications and during media coverage at its launch, for a current
reference please refer to this months edition of Time magazine.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:32:12 AM

The Don wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>

>>The Don wrote:
>>
>>>"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your
>>>product in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by
>>>being a stupid.
>>>
>>>If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for
>>>its product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of
>>>the worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that
>>>needs to be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from
>>>the borderline buyers.
>>>

>>"worlds biggest game ever"...you need to rethink that one.
>>

> rethink or requote............. this has been referenced in many
> publications and during media coverage at its launch, for a current
> reference please refer to this months edition of Time magazine.

Whats used to measure that it's the worlds biggest game??

Profit?
Units sold?
Scale of the game?
etc
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:32:12 AM

The Don wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>

>>The Don wrote:
>>
>>>"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your
>>>product in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by
>>>being a stupid.
>>>
>>>If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for
>>>its product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of
>>>the worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that
>>>needs to be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from
>>>the borderline buyers.
>>>

>>"worlds biggest game ever"...you need to rethink that one.
>>

> rethink or requote............. this has been referenced in many
> publications and during media coverage at its launch, for a current
> reference please refer to this months edition of Time magazine.

So this game is bigger than any of the GTA games?
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:39:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Hank the Rapper wrote:
>> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>>

>>>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
>>>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
>>

>> Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
>> time.*
>>

>> *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
>>

> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
> console coming out...

Not really, it would probably demonstrate to many that MS is using its
finacial clout to gain a competitive edge over its competitors. It is well
documented that the current Xbox system came at a financial loss to MS but
was essential for them enterining the market at such a late stage of the
game.

I can see no reason why the same strategy couldn't be deployed by MS in
order to either gain market share while competitors prices were still high
or alternativly hurt the back pocket of its competitors if they too decided
to match the price and wear the loss.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:39:50 AM

The Don wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>

>>Hank the Rapper wrote:

>>>Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
>>>time.*
>>>

>>>*There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
>>>

>>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
>>be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
>>Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
>>have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
>>console coming out...
>>

> Not really, it would probably demonstrate to many that MS is using its
> finacial clout to gain a competitive edge over its competitors. It is well
> documented that the current Xbox system came at a financial loss to MS but
> was essential for them enterining the market at such a late stage of the
> game.

The PS and PS2 both came out with Sony taking a loss on them.

> I can see no reason why the same strategy couldn't be deployed by MS in
> order to either gain market share while competitors prices were still high
> or alternativly hurt the back pocket of its competitors if they too decided
> to match the price and wear the loss.

Dumping the price that soon after release would very likely be a
negative. Granted MS has the money to do it, but in the eyes of
consumers it would be seen more as a desperation move.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:44:21 AM

"USAF LM" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> The Don wrote:
>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>>>"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

>>>Oh yeah, P.S. - There is no such thing as "PSS", its PPS
>>>

>> ROFLMAO - the old argument resorting to grammer, spelling
>> etc...............
>
> You spelled "grammar" wrong.
>
> Swi

It's important that mattinglyfan does not feel redundant
May 19, 2005 7:28:37 AM

The Don wrote:
> > So this game is bigger than any of the GTA games?
> >

> Popular opinion as drawn on by many publications appears to direct us
> that conclusion.

Yeah, Surely GTA : SA has sold more units than Halo 2?

I mean the Halo series is just another rubbish FPS for people who can't
play a proper one on a PC.

If we're talking about games series.....

The Sims
Final Fantasy
GTA
Zelda

I Imagine all of those have shifted more copies than Halo.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:59:01 PM

> The Don wrote:
>> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

>>>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
>>>be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
>>>Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
>>>have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
>>>console coming out...
>>>

>> Not really, it would probably demonstrate to many that MS is using its
>> finacial clout to gain a competitive edge over its competitors. It is
>> well documented that the current Xbox system came at a financial loss to
>> MS but was essential for them enterining the market at such a late stage
>> of the game.
>
> The PS and PS2 both came out with Sony taking a loss on them.
>

>> I can see no reason why the same strategy couldn't be deployed by MS in
>> order to either gain market share while competitors prices were still
>> high or alternativly hurt the back pocket of its competitors if they too
>> decided to match the price and wear the loss.
>>

> Dumping the price that soon after release would very likely be a negative.
> Granted MS has the money to do it, but in the eyes of consumers it would
> be seen more as a desperation move.

But consumers will still buy them at the reduced price would they not?????
Hence the strategy to gain market share and the associated press that will
come with being the number one next generation console would prove an
effective strategy should MS decide to go that path.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:59:02 PM

The Don wrote:
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>

>>The Don wrote:
>>
>>>"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

>>>Not really, it would probably demonstrate to many that MS is using its
>>>finacial clout to gain a competitive edge over its competitors. It is
>>>well documented that the current Xbox system came at a financial loss to
>>>MS but was essential for them enterining the market at such a late stage
>>>of the game.
>>
>>The PS and PS2 both came out with Sony taking a loss on them.
>>

>>>I can see no reason why the same strategy couldn't be deployed by MS in
>>>order to either gain market share while competitors prices were still
>>>high or alternativly hurt the back pocket of its competitors if they too
>>>decided to match the price and wear the loss.
>>>

>>Dumping the price that soon after release would very likely be a negative.
>>Granted MS has the money to do it, but in the eyes of consumers it would
>>be seen more as a desperation move.
>>

> But consumers will still buy them at the reduced price would they not?????
> Hence the strategy to gain market share and the associated press that will
> come with being the number one next generation console would prove an
> effective strategy should MS decide to go that path.

I kinda left something out of that, sorry. I meant to add (and thought I
had) that if they were to dump the price then it could be seen
negatively and push more people towards avoiding the 360 and waiting for
the PS3. Dumping the price would likely get some more buyers, but it
also could have this other impact of people shying away from it.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 7:02:57 PM

> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> massivegrooves wrote:

>> by

>> same time.*

>>> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
>>> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
>> them.
>>> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
>> they
>>> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
>>
>>> console coming out...
>>
>> You're saying a price drop is bad?
>>

> Hell no, not for us at least. Actually yes now that I think about it. I
> plan on getting a 360 before the PS3. If I shell out full price and then
> these jerk offs turn around and sell it for lower to compete with Sony, I
> will be pissed. On top of that, it would make me wait for the system if I
> thought I could get if for cheaper later. We aren't talking the price
> difference between new and used games here. The figure would be somewhere
> around 100 bones theoretically.

All techonology drops in price...... its the risk you take it when you buy
it upon release.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 7:02:58 PM

> All techonology drops in price...... its the risk you take it when you buy
> it upon release.

It should'nt drop $100 just a couple months after it's released, which is
what Nintendo and MS did with the XBox and GameCube.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 7:02:59 PM

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>

>>All techonology drops in price...... its the risk you take it when you buy
>>it upon release.
>

> It should'nt drop $100 just a couple months after it's released, which is
> what Nintendo and MS did with the XBox and GameCube.

Exactly...that in a lot of eyes would be a bad thing.
!