Halo 3 to debut at the same time as the PS3

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Direct from the horse's mouth...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.html
58 answers Last reply
More about halo debut time

    Strychnine wrote:

    > A bold move in my opinion, quite ballsy..

    Ballsy? I don't think they had any choice. Gotta have *something* to try to
    counteract the PS3 hoopla when it comes out.

    Man, that is gonna be a crazy time. Which do you play first, Halo 3 or your
    PS3 launch games? Aieeee! :)

    -Z-

    Zackman wrote:

    > Ballsy? I don't think they had any choice. Gotta have *something* to
    > try to counteract the PS3 hoopla when it comes out.
    >
    > Man, that is gonna be a crazy time. Which do you play first, Halo 3
    > or your PS3 launch games? Aieeee! :)

    I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft slashes the price of Xbox360 just
    before the PS3 is released, too.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Oh yeah that's gonna matter, *YAWN*.
    What's the point, really?
    When you pick up a new console chances are you are going to pick up a couple
    titles with it.
    Most people that already own a 360 will just add Halo 3 to the list of games
    they gotta grab while they're picking up their shinny new PS3.
    Personally I could care less about Halo anymore, I am more into the Tom
    Clancy games.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Gates has that quiet bloodlust common amongst people of English
    descent.

    "'The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into
    Halo 3."

    Too cruel, Gates!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    massivegrooves wrote:
    > Hank the Rapper wrote:
    > > Mattinglyfan wrote:
    > >

    > >>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3
    by
    > >>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
    > >

    > > Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the
    same time.*

    > > *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
    > >

    > IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
    > be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
    them.
    > Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
    they
    > have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new

    > console coming out...

    You're saying a price drop is bad?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    >>I have never heard anyone in my life say I'm not going to purchase
    the new <insert console name here> right now because an awesome title
    is coming out on a system I already own.<<

    No, but it will cut into the Sony hype machine that will be ramping up
    for the launch. And, while it won't hurt PS3 sales with hardcore
    gamers, it could hurt them with marginal players and average consumers
    who are swayed by hype. If Sony lets MS keep it from generating a
    critical mass of hype at that critical moment, sales will be hurt.

    -Eric
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    <elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message
    > >>I have never heard anyone in my life say I'm not going to purchase
    > the new <insert console name here> right now because an awesome title
    > is coming out on a system I already own.<<
    >
    > No, but it will cut into the Sony hype machine that will be ramping up
    > for the launch. And, while it won't hurt PS3 sales with hardcore
    > gamers, it could hurt them with marginal players and average consumers
    > who are swayed by hype. If Sony lets MS keep it from generating a
    > critical mass of hype at that critical moment, sales will be hurt.

    The same can be said about "Sony's hype machine" (your words) going into
    over drive way before the XBox 360 is even lanuched to get their already
    satisfied customers to be content to wait nothor year for their (Sony's)
    next offering.
    1 game will not deter sales away from a systems launch.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Scream wrote:
    > Direct from the horse's mouth...
    >
    > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.html

    While I understand it from a marketting point of view, isn't it kind
    of a slap in the face of fans?

    Either they are going to rush Halo 3 out in order to make the date, or
    they are going to have it finished and simply sit on it until the PS3
    comes out. Either way, basically the fans get screwed. Which is
    basically Microsoft's motto admittedly, but...

    Anyway, I'd rather see them release Forza 2 on that day.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Scream wrote:
    > > Direct from the horse's mouth...
    > >
    > > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.html
    >
    > While I understand it from a marketting point of view, isn't it kind
    > of a slap in the face of fans?
    >
    > Either they are going to rush Halo 3 out in order to make the date, or
    > they are going to have it finished and simply sit on it until the PS3
    > comes out. Either way, basically the fans get screwed. Which is
    > basically Microsoft's motto admittedly, but...
    >
    > Anyway, I'd rather see them release Forza 2 on that day.

    I'd rather see them lower the price and include a year free live or a killer
    app as a pack-in.
    That would actually cause a stir in sales of launching console.
    A single game won't even cause a lil dent in sales.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Tommy Stenberg wrote:
    > "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <7x%he.5425$Fe7.58753@news000.worldonline.dk>,
    > > nobodysfool@dont.exist says...
    > >> If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention
    from the
    > >> PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame
    already. It's
    > >> yesteryears news.
    > >>
    > >> Tommy
    > >
    > > You can't really be that ignorant, can you? Halo 2 had the largest
    > > single day opening of any MEDIA event in history. That includes
    movies,
    > > DVD releases, CDs, etc. Halo 3 *WILL* screw up the PS3 launch.
    >

    > Yes, and it was also one of the biggest dissapointments of last year,

    > remember? Halo have lost a lot of it's fanbase because of a rushed
    sequel

    Do you have any idea how popular Halo 2 is online?

    > (that weren't really rushed, they had plenty of time to do it right -
    the
    > just didn't start working until it was too late). And regardless of
    how
    > popular a single game can be, it won't take the limelight of an
    entirely new
    > console of this proportion, this is the Playstation 3 we're talking
    about.
    > Not some unknown wannabe console-maker trying to make a buck. I'm
    just being
    > realistic here.

    I don't think either of you are being realistic. No way is Halo
    "yesteryears news" like you claimed, nor do I think it can screw up the
    PS3 launch like Rob suggested.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

    > massivegrooves wrote:
    >> Hank the Rapper wrote:

    > by
    >> >

    >> > Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the
    > same time.*
    >> >

    >> > *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
    >> >

    >> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
    >> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
    > them.
    >> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
    > they
    >> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    >
    >> console coming out...
    >
    > You're saying a price drop is bad?

    Hell no, not for us at least. Actually yes now that I think about it. I
    plan on getting a 360 before the PS3. If I shell out full price and then
    these jerk offs turn around and sell it for lower to compete with Sony, I
    will be pissed. On top of that, it would make me wait for the system if I
    thought I could get if for cheaper later. We aren't talking the price
    difference between new and used games here. The figure would be somewhere
    around 100 bones theoretically.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
    >> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
    >> diverted to the PS3.
    >>

    > People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a $60-$70
    > game.

    Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage from
    the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
    >>> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
    >>> diverted to the PS3.
    >>>

    >> People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
    >> $60-$70 game.
    >

    > Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
    > from the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.

    If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
    PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
    yesteryears news.

    Tommy
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
    > >> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
    > >> diverted to the PS3.
    > >>

    > > People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
    $60-$70
    > > game.
    >

    > Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
    from
    > the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.

    You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
    Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the 360?
    WOW! Gates is a genius.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Mattinglyfan wrote:

    > In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
    > having it launch against a "system to top all systems."

    Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same time.*

    *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    --
    Rob Berryhill
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Wrong, dong
    "Tommy Stenberg" <nobodysfool@dont.exist> wrote in message

    > "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
    >>> $60-$70 game.
    >>

    >> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
    >> from the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
    >>

    > If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
    > PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
    > yesteryears news.
    >
    > Tommy

  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Hank the Rapper wrote:
    > Mattinglyfan wrote:
    >

    >>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
    >>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
    >

    > Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same time.*
    >

    > *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)

    IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
    be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
    Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
    have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    console coming out...
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Mattinglyfan wrote:
    >
    >> In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
    >> having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
    >
    > Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
    > time.*
    >

    > *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)

    Now THAT would be ballsy!
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    massivegrooves wrote:

    > IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
    > to be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
    > them. Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them
    > believeing they have to do something drastic just to be able to
    > compete with this new console coming out...

    You mean like Sony dropping the price of the PS2 one day before Microsoft
    announced the price cut for the Xbox? I don't think it would be seam like
    that at all. The 360 would have been a year old already where the PS3 would
    be more. It would be a bold move for sure.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    wrong, dong

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    > Hank the Rapper wrote:
    >> Mattinglyfan wrote:
    >>

    >>>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
    >>>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
    >>

    >> Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
    >> time.*
    >>

    >> *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
    >>

    > IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
    > be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
    > Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
    > have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    > console coming out...

  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <7x%he.5425$Fe7.58753@news000.worldonline.dk>,
    > nobodysfool@dont.exist says...
    >> If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
    >> PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
    >> yesteryears news.
    >>
    >> Tommy
    >
    > You can't really be that ignorant, can you? Halo 2 had the largest
    > single day opening of any MEDIA event in history. That includes movies,
    > DVD releases, CDs, etc. Halo 3 *WILL* screw up the PS3 launch.

    Yes, and it was also one of the biggest dissapointments of last year,
    remember? Halo have lost a lot of it's fanbase because of a rushed sequel
    (that weren't really rushed, they had plenty of time to do it right - the
    just didn't start working until it was too late). And regardless of how
    popular a single game can be, it won't take the limelight of an entirely new
    console of this proportion, this is the Playstation 3 we're talking about.
    Not some unknown wannabe console-maker trying to make a buck. I'm just being
    realistic here.

    Tommy
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > I'm just being realistic here.

    There is your big mistake.
    Yah can't be realistic and use common sense while on usenet.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> >>

    >> > People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
    > $60-$70
    >> > game.
    >>

    >> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
    > from
    >> the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
    >
    > You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
    > Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the
    > 360?
    > WOW! Gates is a genius.

    Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your product
    in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by being a
    stupid.

    If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for its
    product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of the
    worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that needs to
    be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from the
    borderline buyers.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > the possible capture of market share from the
    > borderline buyers.

    You're missing the point entirely.
    Exactly which of the 100+ million userbase of Sony will be border line
    buyers?
    Simply put. There is NO WAY in hell you are going to pass up purchasing an
    entire system because of "1" title on another system. That is just plain
    ass silly of you to imply otherwise.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    The Don wrote:
    > "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

    >>$60-$70

    >>>Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
    >>
    >>from
    >>
    >>>the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
    >>
    >>You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
    >>Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the
    >>360?
    >>WOW! Gates is a genius.
    >>

    > Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your product
    > in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by being a
    > stupid.
    >
    > If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for its
    > product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of the
    > worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that needs to
    > be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from the
    > borderline buyers.

    "worlds biggest game ever"...you need to rethink that one.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message news:4288971b$0$8120

    > If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for its
    > product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of the
    > worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that needs
    > be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from the
    > borderline buyers.

    "The sequel to the world's biggest ever game"? You mean the Xbox 360 is
    launching Super Mario Bros. 2 on the same day as the PS3 launch? Wow.

    Or did you mean Solitaire 2? I guess that makes more sense...at least
    Microsoft owns the rights to Windows Solitaire.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Robert P Holley wrote:
    > massivegrooves wrote:
    >
    >>Hank the Rapper wrote:

    > by

    >>>Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the
    >>
    > same time.*
    >

    >>>*There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
    >>>

    >>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove

    >>be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
    >
    > them.
    >
    >>Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
    >
    > they
    >
    >>have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    >

    >>console coming out...
    >

    > You're saying a price drop is bad?

    There are instances where it can be...
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
    >> the possible capture of market share from the
    >> borderline buyers.
    >
    > You're missing the point entirely.
    > Exactly which of the 100+ million userbase of Sony will be border line
    > buyers?
    > Simply put. There is NO WAY in hell you are going to pass up purchasing an
    > entire system because of "1" title on another system. That is just plain
    > ass silly of you to imply otherwise.

    Halo 2 helped surge Xbox purchases in 2004, it also helped double
    subscriptions to Xbox Live.

    You also need to re-read my post, I clearly said 'borderline buyers' I did
    not mention existing owners of PS2 would switch because of the dual
    launch......... you need to relies that capturing market share is not just
    about existing console owners........ but also about new entrants into the
    console market, this strategy helps put Xbox360 in the limelight AGAIN at
    the same time as PS3 which will reinforce the choice available to those
    borderline buyers.

    The Don

    PS - stop being so defensive about a piece of plastic with
    wires.............. My points are based on the merits of the Halo 3 launch
    and is no way based on some mindless loyalty to a company that at the end of
    the day gets richer from what I spend (Sony and MS)!!!

    PSS - I own both consoles now and intend on doing so with the next
    generation, so NO, I am not making a point based on blind loyalty to Xbox.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > PSS - I own both consoles now and intend on doing so with the next
    > generation, so NO, I am not making a point based on blind loyalty to Xbox.

    Oh yeah, P.S. - There is no such thing as "PSS", its PPS
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

    And my point is based on the fact that a game no another system won't take
    sales away from a new console system launch.
    I own 3 XBox systems, 3 PS2's and we even have *cough* 1 GameCube in our
    home. I am not basing my opinion on bias, if I was I would be in favor of
    your argument since the XBox is my system of choice. I have never heard
    anyone in my life say I'm not going to purchase the new <insert console name
    here> right now because an awesome title is coming out on a system I already
    own.

    All this back and forth is a waste of time.
    If anything Bungie and MS are going to hurt sales for Halo 3 and possibly
    cause the game to be imcomplete or plagued with bugs from it being rushed to
    meet that date. I doubt it will debut when the PS3 is released. Games
    rarely ever hit their 1st release date. Just look at Halo 2 (delayed for
    over a year plus) or Raibow Six 3 Lockdown (now it's pushed back to
    September - originally slated for March)
    Halo 2 was delayed forever and it still felt like it wasn't finished.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Tommy Stenberg wrote:
    > "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <7x%he.5425$Fe7.58753@news000.worldonline.dk>,
    >>nobodysfool@dont.exist says...
    >>
    >>>If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
    >>>PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
    >>>yesteryears news.
    >>>
    >>>Tommy
    >>
    >>You can't really be that ignorant, can you? Halo 2 had the largest
    >>single day opening of any MEDIA event in history. That includes movies,
    >>DVD releases, CDs, etc. Halo 3 *WILL* screw up the PS3 launch.
    >

    > Yes, and it was also one of the biggest dissapointments of last year,
    > remember? Halo have lost a lot of it's fanbase because of a rushed sequel
    > (that weren't really rushed, they had plenty of time to do it right - the
    > just didn't start working until it was too late). And regardless of how
    > popular a single game can be, it won't take the limelight of an entirely new
    > console of this proportion, this is the Playstation 3 we're talking about.
    > Not some unknown wannabe console-maker trying to make a buck. I'm just being
    > realistic here.
    >
    > Tommy

    Yep, Halo2 while a good game just didn't and couldn't live up to the
    hype and expectations. Halo3 is likely to have a buzz going for it but
    many will be less likely to go quite so far over the edge about it as
    they did with the last one and then being letdown.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Hank the Rapper wrote:
    > massivegrooves wrote:
    >

    >>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
    >>to be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
    >>them. Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them
    >>believeing they have to do something drastic just to be able to
    >>compete with this new console coming out...
    >

    > You mean like Sony dropping the price of the PS2 one day before Microsoft
    > announced the price cut for the Xbox?

    That is not quite the same, I think they both knew what the other was
    going to do ;)

    >I don't think it would be seam like
    > that at all. The 360 would have been a year old already where the PS3 would
    > be more. It would be a bold move for sure.

    Yes it could/would be, but it also can be seen by the average
    joe/consumers that it is a desperation type move just to stay in the
    game...whether it is true or not. Most folks don't read newsgroups or
    stay as up to date on gaming news and understand what may really be
    going on. Perception could be that lowering the price with this others
    arrival is a sign of weakness.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    massivegrooves wrote:

    > Yes it could/would be, but it also can be seen by the average
    > joe/consumers that it is a desperation type move just to stay in the
    > game...whether it is true or not. Most folks don't read newsgroups or
    > stay as up to date on gaming news and understand what may really be
    > going on. Perception could be that lowering the price with this others
    > arrival is a sign of weakness.

    It all depends on how you view the glass of water. ;)
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Mattinglyfan wrote:
    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>massivegrooves wrote:

    >>by

    >>same time.*

    >>>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove

    >>>be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
    >>
    >>them.
    >>
    >>>Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
    >>
    >>they
    >>
    >>>have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    >>
    >>>console coming out...
    >>
    >>You're saying a price drop is bad?
    >>

    > Hell no, not for us at least. Actually yes now that I think about it. I
    > plan on getting a 360 before the PS3. If I shell out full price and then
    > these jerk offs turn around and sell it for lower to compete with Sony, I
    > will be pissed. On top of that, it would make me wait for the system if I
    > thought I could get if for cheaper later. We aren't talking the price
    > difference between new and used games here. The figure would be somewhere
    > around 100 bones theoretically.

    Then there is that also, forgot about that. How many people are you
    going to piss off royally when you drop your price who paid full price
    at launch just a year ago...another negative outcome from doing it.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
    >>

    >> PSS - I own both consoles now and intend on doing so with the next
    >> generation, so NO, I am not making a point based on blind loyalty to
    >> Xbox.
    >>

    > Oh yeah, P.S. - There is no such thing as "PSS", its PPS

    ROFLMAO - the old argument resorting to grammer, spelling etc...............
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    The Don wrote:
    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >
    >>"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>PSS - I own both consoles now and intend on doing so with the next
    >>>generation, so NO, I am not making a point based on blind loyalty to
    >>>Xbox.
    >>>

    >>Oh yeah, P.S. - There is no such thing as "PSS", its PPS
    >>

    > ROFLMAO - the old argument resorting to grammer, spelling etc...............

    You spelled "grammar" wrong.

    Swi
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > The Don wrote:
    >> "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

    >>>$60-$70

    >>>from

    >>>You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
    >>>Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the
    >>>360?
    >>>WOW! Gates is a genius.
    >>>

    >> Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your
    >> product in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by
    >> being a stupid.
    >>
    >> If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for
    >> its product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of
    >> the worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that
    >> needs to be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from
    >> the borderline buyers.
    >>

    > "worlds biggest game ever"...you need to rethink that one.

    rethink or requote............. this has been referenced in many
    publications and during media coverage at its launch, for a current
    reference please refer to this months edition of Time magazine.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    The Don wrote:
    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>The Don wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your
    >>>product in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by
    >>>being a stupid.
    >>>
    >>>If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for
    >>>its product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of
    >>>the worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that
    >>>needs to be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from
    >>>the borderline buyers.
    >>>

    >>"worlds biggest game ever"...you need to rethink that one.
    >>

    > rethink or requote............. this has been referenced in many
    > publications and during media coverage at its launch, for a current
    > reference please refer to this months edition of Time magazine.

    Whats used to measure that it's the worlds biggest game??

    Profit?
    Units sold?
    Scale of the game?
    etc
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    The Don wrote:
    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>The Don wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your
    >>>product in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by
    >>>being a stupid.
    >>>
    >>>If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for
    >>>its product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of
    >>>the worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that
    >>>needs to be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from
    >>>the borderline buyers.
    >>>

    >>"worlds biggest game ever"...you need to rethink that one.
    >>

    > rethink or requote............. this has been referenced in many
    > publications and during media coverage at its launch, for a current
    > reference please refer to this months edition of Time magazine.

    So this game is bigger than any of the GTA games?
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    > Hank the Rapper wrote:
    >> Mattinglyfan wrote:
    >>

    >>>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
    >>>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
    >>

    >> Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
    >> time.*
    >>

    >> *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
    >>

    > IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
    > be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
    > Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
    > have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    > console coming out...

    Not really, it would probably demonstrate to many that MS is using its
    finacial clout to gain a competitive edge over its competitors. It is well
    documented that the current Xbox system came at a financial loss to MS but
    was essential for them enterining the market at such a late stage of the
    game.

    I can see no reason why the same strategy couldn't be deployed by MS in
    order to either gain market share while competitors prices were still high
    or alternativly hurt the back pocket of its competitors if they too decided
    to match the price and wear the loss.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    The Don wrote:
    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>Hank the Rapper wrote:

    >>>Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
    >>>time.*
    >>>

    >>>*There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
    >>>

    >>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
    >>be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
    >>Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
    >>have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    >>console coming out...
    >>

    > Not really, it would probably demonstrate to many that MS is using its
    > finacial clout to gain a competitive edge over its competitors. It is well
    > documented that the current Xbox system came at a financial loss to MS but
    > was essential for them enterining the market at such a late stage of the
    > game.

    The PS and PS2 both came out with Sony taking a loss on them.

    > I can see no reason why the same strategy couldn't be deployed by MS in
    > order to either gain market share while competitors prices were still high
    > or alternativly hurt the back pocket of its competitors if they too decided
    > to match the price and wear the loss.

    Dumping the price that soon after release would very likely be a
    negative. Granted MS has the money to do it, but in the eyes of
    consumers it would be seen more as a desperation move.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "USAF LM" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > The Don wrote:
    >> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

    >>>Oh yeah, P.S. - There is no such thing as "PSS", its PPS
    >>>

    >> ROFLMAO - the old argument resorting to grammer, spelling
    >> etc...............
    >
    > You spelled "grammar" wrong.
    >
    > Swi

    It's important that mattinglyfan does not feel redundant
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    The Don wrote:
    > > So this game is bigger than any of the GTA games?
    > >

    > Popular opinion as drawn on by many publications appears to direct us
    > that conclusion.

    Yeah, Surely GTA : SA has sold more units than Halo 2?

    I mean the Halo series is just another rubbish FPS for people who can't
    play a proper one on a PC.

    If we're talking about games series.....

    The Sims
    Final Fantasy
    GTA
    Zelda

    I Imagine all of those have shifted more copies than Halo.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > The Don wrote:
    >> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    >>>IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
    >>>be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
    >>>Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
    >>>have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    >>>console coming out...
    >>>

    >> Not really, it would probably demonstrate to many that MS is using its
    >> finacial clout to gain a competitive edge over its competitors. It is
    >> well documented that the current Xbox system came at a financial loss to
    >> MS but was essential for them enterining the market at such a late stage
    >> of the game.
    >
    > The PS and PS2 both came out with Sony taking a loss on them.
    >

    >> I can see no reason why the same strategy couldn't be deployed by MS in
    >> order to either gain market share while competitors prices were still
    >> high or alternativly hurt the back pocket of its competitors if they too
    >> decided to match the price and wear the loss.
    >>

    > Dumping the price that soon after release would very likely be a negative.
    > Granted MS has the money to do it, but in the eyes of consumers it would
    > be seen more as a desperation move.

    But consumers will still buy them at the reduced price would they not?????
    Hence the strategy to gain market share and the associated press that will
    come with being the number one next generation console would prove an
    effective strategy should MS decide to go that path.
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    The Don wrote:
    > "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>The Don wrote:
    >>
    >>>"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    >>>Not really, it would probably demonstrate to many that MS is using its
    >>>finacial clout to gain a competitive edge over its competitors. It is
    >>>well documented that the current Xbox system came at a financial loss to
    >>>MS but was essential for them enterining the market at such a late stage
    >>>of the game.
    >>
    >>The PS and PS2 both came out with Sony taking a loss on them.
    >>

    >>>I can see no reason why the same strategy couldn't be deployed by MS in
    >>>order to either gain market share while competitors prices were still
    >>>high or alternativly hurt the back pocket of its competitors if they too
    >>>decided to match the price and wear the loss.
    >>>

    >>Dumping the price that soon after release would very likely be a negative.
    >>Granted MS has the money to do it, but in the eyes of consumers it would
    >>be seen more as a desperation move.
    >>

    > But consumers will still buy them at the reduced price would they not?????
    > Hence the strategy to gain market share and the associated press that will
    > come with being the number one next generation console would prove an
    > effective strategy should MS decide to go that path.

    I kinda left something out of that, sorry. I meant to add (and thought I
    had) that if they were to dump the price then it could be seen
    negatively and push more people towards avoiding the 360 and waiting for
    the PS3. Dumping the price would likely get some more buyers, but it
    also could have this other impact of people shying away from it.
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> massivegrooves wrote:

    >> by

    >> same time.*

    >>> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
    >>> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
    >> them.
    >>> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
    >> they
    >>> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
    >>
    >>> console coming out...
    >>
    >> You're saying a price drop is bad?
    >>

    > Hell no, not for us at least. Actually yes now that I think about it. I
    > plan on getting a 360 before the PS3. If I shell out full price and then
    > these jerk offs turn around and sell it for lower to compete with Sony, I
    > will be pissed. On top of that, it would make me wait for the system if I
    > thought I could get if for cheaper later. We aren't talking the price
    > difference between new and used games here. The figure would be somewhere
    > around 100 bones theoretically.

    All techonology drops in price...... its the risk you take it when you buy
    it upon release.
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    > All techonology drops in price...... its the risk you take it when you buy
    > it upon release.

    It should'nt drop $100 just a couple months after it's released, which is
    what Nintendo and MS did with the XBox and GameCube.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
    >

    >>All techonology drops in price...... its the risk you take it when you buy
    >>it upon release.
    >

    > It should'nt drop $100 just a couple months after it's released, which is
    > what Nintendo and MS did with the XBox and GameCube.

    Exactly...that in a lot of eyes would be a bad thing.

Console Gaming Video Sony Games PlayStation Xbox Video Games Product