Halo 3 to debut at the same time as the PS3

Strychnine wrote:

> A bold move in my opinion, quite ballsy..

Ballsy? I don't think they had any choice. Gotta have *something* to try to
counteract the PS3 hoopla when it comes out.

Man, that is gonna be a crazy time. Which do you play first, Halo 3 or your
PS3 launch games? Aieeee! :)

-Z-

Zackman wrote:

> Ballsy? I don't think they had any choice. Gotta have *something* to
> try to counteract the PS3 hoopla when it comes out.
>
> Man, that is gonna be a crazy time. Which do you play first, Halo 3
> or your PS3 launch games? Aieeee! :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft slashes the price of Xbox360 just
before the PS3 is released, too.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Oh yeah that's gonna matter, *YAWN*.
What's the point, really?
When you pick up a new console chances are you are going to pick up a couple
titles with it.
Most people that already own a 360 will just add Halo 3 to the list of games
they gotta grab while they're picking up their shinny new PS3.
Personally I could care less about Halo anymore, I am more into the Tom
Clancy games.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Gates has that quiet bloodlust common amongst people of English
descent.

"'The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into
Halo 3."

Too cruel, Gates!

massivegrooves wrote:
> Hank the Rapper wrote:
> > Mattinglyfan wrote:
> >

> >>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3
by
> >>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
> >

> > Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the
same time.*

> > *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
> >

> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
them.
> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
they
> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new

> console coming out...

You're saying a price drop is bad?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

>>I have never heard anyone in my life say I'm not going to purchase
the new <insert console name here> right now because an awesome title
is coming out on a system I already own.<<

No, but it will cut into the Sony hype machine that will be ramping up
for the launch. And, while it won't hurt PS3 sales with hardcore
gamers, it could hurt them with marginal players and average consumers
who are swayed by hype. If Sony lets MS keep it from generating a
critical mass of hype at that critical moment, sales will be hurt.

-Eric

<elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message
> >>I have never heard anyone in my life say I'm not going to purchase
> the new <insert console name here> right now because an awesome title
> is coming out on a system I already own.<<
>
> No, but it will cut into the Sony hype machine that will be ramping up
> for the launch. And, while it won't hurt PS3 sales with hardcore
> gamers, it could hurt them with marginal players and average consumers
> who are swayed by hype. If Sony lets MS keep it from generating a
> critical mass of hype at that critical moment, sales will be hurt.

The same can be said about "Sony's hype machine" (your words) going into
over drive way before the XBox 360 is even lanuched to get their already
satisfied customers to be content to wait nothor year for their (Sony's)
next offering.
1 game will not deter sales away from a systems launch.

Scream wrote:
> Direct from the horse's mouth...
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.html

While I understand it from a marketting point of view, isn't it kind
of a slap in the face of fans?

Either they are going to rush Halo 3 out in order to make the date, or
they are going to have it finished and simply sit on it until the PS3
comes out. Either way, basically the fans get screwed. Which is
basically Microsoft's motto admittedly, but...

Anyway, I'd rather see them release Forza 2 on that day.

"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Scream wrote:
> > Direct from the horse's mouth...
> >
> > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124592.html
>
> While I understand it from a marketting point of view, isn't it kind
> of a slap in the face of fans?
>
> Either they are going to rush Halo 3 out in order to make the date, or
> they are going to have it finished and simply sit on it until the PS3
> comes out. Either way, basically the fans get screwed. Which is
> basically Microsoft's motto admittedly, but...
>
> Anyway, I'd rather see them release Forza 2 on that day.

I'd rather see them lower the price and include a year free live or a killer
app as a pack-in.
That would actually cause a stir in sales of launching console.
A single game won't even cause a lil dent in sales.

Tommy Stenberg wrote:
> "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <7x%he.5425$Fe7.58753@news000.worldonline.dk>,
> > nobodysfool@dont.exist says...
> >> If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention
from the
> >> PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame
already. It's
> >> yesteryears news.
> >>
> >> Tommy
> >
> > You can't really be that ignorant, can you? Halo 2 had the largest
> > single day opening of any MEDIA event in history. That includes
movies,
> > DVD releases, CDs, etc. Halo 3 *WILL* screw up the PS3 launch.
>

> Yes, and it was also one of the biggest dissapointments of last year,

> remember? Halo have lost a lot of it's fanbase because of a rushed
sequel

Do you have any idea how popular Halo 2 is online?

> (that weren't really rushed, they had plenty of time to do it right -
the
> just didn't start working until it was too late). And regardless of
how
> popular a single game can be, it won't take the limelight of an
entirely new
> console of this proportion, this is the Playstation 3 we're talking
about.
> Not some unknown wannabe console-maker trying to make a buck. I'm
just being
> realistic here.

I don't think either of you are being realistic. No way is Halo
"yesteryears news" like you claimed, nor do I think it can screw up the
PS3 launch like Rob suggested.

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> massivegrooves wrote:
>> Hank the Rapper wrote:

> by
>> >

>> > Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the
> same time.*
>> >

>> > *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)
>> >

>> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
>> be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
> them.
>> Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing
> they
>> have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
>
>> console coming out...
>
> You're saying a price drop is bad?

Hell no, not for us at least. Actually yes now that I think about it. I
plan on getting a 360 before the PS3. If I shell out full price and then
these jerk offs turn around and sell it for lower to compete with Sony, I
will be pissed. On top of that, it would make me wait for the system if I
thought I could get if for cheaper later. We aren't talking the price
difference between new and used games here. The figure would be somewhere
around 100 bones theoretically.

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
>> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
>> diverted to the PS3.
>>

> People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a $60-$70
> game.

Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage from
the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
>>> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
>>> diverted to the PS3.
>>>

>> People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
>> $60-$70 game.
>

> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
> from the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.

If anyone thinks Halo 3 is going to steal much of the attention from the
PS3, they're pretty naive. Halo had it's 15 minutes of fame already. It's
yesteryears news.

Tommy

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> >> Very smart move. That will definitely get the attention of a lot of
> >> gamers right around the time Sony is clammoring to get their attention
> >> diverted to the PS3.
> >>

> > People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
$60-$70
> > game.
>

> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
from
> the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.

You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the 360?
WOW! Gates is a genius.

--
Rob Berryhill

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Wrong, dong

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>

>>In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
>>having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
>

> Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same time.*
>

> *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)

IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove to
be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help them.
Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them believeing they
have to do something drastic just to be able to compete with this new
console coming out...

Strychnine

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>
>> In comparison to a whole SYSTEM? If anything, MS is screwing Halo3 by
>> having it launch against a "system to top all systems."
>
> Not if MS drops the price of Xbox360 and releasing Halo 3 at the same
> time.*
>

> *There is not truth to this. I'm just trying to start the rumor. :)

Now THAT would be ballsy!

massivegrooves wrote:

> IF, and that is a HUGE if they did something like that it could prove
> to be more of a negative than a positive and hurt them more than help
> them. Dropping the price likely would be seen by many as them
> believeing they have to do something drastic just to be able to
> compete with this new console coming out...

You mean like Sony dropping the price of the PS2 one day before Microsoft
announced the price cut for the Xbox? I don't think it would be seam like
that at all. The 360 would have been a year old already where the PS3 would
be more. It would be a bold move for sure.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

wrong, dong

> I'm just being realistic here.

There is your big mistake.
Yah can't be realistic and use common sense while on usenet.

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > People getting the PS3 will not divert their purchase because of a
> $60-$70
>> > game.
>>

>> Your missing the point, they will take away some of the media coverage
> from
>> the PS3 launch which may impact on borderline buyers.
>
> You mean a handful of people out of the nearly 100 million userbase of
> Sony's console might not get a PS3 because of one title released on the
> 360?
> WOW! Gates is a genius.

Whether you like it or not, he is a genius....... you don't get your product
in the hands of 90% of your chosen demographic (PC Owners) by being a
stupid.

If the PS3 launch was on its own then Sony would have free airplay for its
product, however, many pages will now be taken up with the sequel of the
worlds biggest ever game.............. that is also an impact that needs to
be acknowledged beyond the possible capture of market share from the
borderline buyers.