Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power cord fails, now computer won't POST.

Last response: in Systems
December 22, 2011 10:10:28 PM

This build was working fine for months. Only one issue- when I would restart the computer windows would not start to load. Just a blinking __. When this would happen the power button would be non responsive even for a hard shutdown. So I would have to resort to the PSU power button on the back.

One time when I had to restart for a program I installed I went through this process but the computer would not turn back on. No power, no lights. After some troubleshooting I found out that the power cord was dead. I replaced it and now I get all lights, fans, and hard drives to turn on but the computer will not post. I get no error codes, even when booting with one or no sticks of RAM. The power button is responsive (if that's at all relevant). I have performed all steps in this thread already.

Is it possible to have a bad PSU and still get everything to power on inside the system? Is there any way to tell if it's the motherboard instead? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

PC SPECS:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Thuban 3.3GHz
PSU: Sigma 500W Power Supply (came with the tower)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512MB PCI Express x16
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2011 10:33:49 PM

You have a bad PSU
m
l

Best solution

December 22, 2011 11:01:24 PM

Agree one of the rails is gone. In a general way you have a 12v, 3.3v and 5v output in the PS. One has gone bad. Probably "took some heat" from the bad cord. Here is a suitable replacement (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). It has gotten vg reviews and is efficient. It will give you a bit of power headroom so if you upgrade a video or othe item you will be covered. There is a 750 also if you think you are going big in the future (like a complete system build replacement). This is the OCZ "budget" line but is a good choice.
December 23, 2011 7:59:38 AM

Best answer selected by crazyforsw.
m
l
!