Sign in with
Your question

Parted Magic Secure erase running for 4 hours?

Last response: in Systems
December 22, 2011 10:42:17 PM

Well I'm returning a used hard drive with a lot of files back to Best Buy and I don't want them to have access to any files. I called them and they claim to "throw out" returned used hard drives but honestly, I doubt they'd throw out a perfectly working $250 hard drive. So, I downloaded and ran Parted magic Enhanced Secure Erase and it says the approx time is 306 minutes.

It's been running right now for 4 hours. I know it says it'll take around 5 hours but I've read on forums that it only took people like 30 seconds or something now. There's no "time left" clock thing, It's just a window that says a Secure Erase was issued and the approx. time.

Anyone know whether or not this is normal?

It's a 2 TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive.

I know this is a repost but I think this section is appropriate too as this is a new build.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 23, 2011 2:28:35 AM

Be patient. A true secure erase must actually write data at least once to EVERY sector on the HDD, and that does take quite a bit of time. For example, the last time I set up a machine from scratch I let the Windows Install process do a Full Format on a 1.5 TB HDD, and that involves writing and reading to every sector on the drive as a test for bad sectors. It took well over 3 hours to do that. Your drive is 33% bigger than mine was.

Anyone who claims to have done a secure erase in 30 seconds is REALLY wrong! You can do a Quick Format almost that fast on a drive that has already been formatted. You also could Delete all the Partitions on a drive in that time. But neither of those operations would actually write new data to any sectors - it all would still be there. That is how software tools can help people recover from accidentally Formatting or Un-Partitioning a drive!
September 24, 2012 12:08:23 AM

kandon said:
Well I'm returning a used hard drive with a lot of files back to Best Buy and I don't want them to have access to any files. I called them and they claim to "throw out" returned used hard drives but honestly, I doubt they'd throw out a perfectly working $250 hard drive. So, I downloaded and ran Parted magic Enhanced Secure Erase and it says the approx time is 306 minutes.

It's been running right now for 4 hours. I know it says it'll take around 5 hours but I've read on forums that it only took people like 30 seconds or something now. There's no "time left" clock thing, It's just a window that says a Secure Erase was issued and the approx. time.

I know this is a repost but I think this section is appropriate too as this is a new build.

September 24, 2012 12:36:19 AM

kandon said:

!