Sign in with
Your question

Are these temperatures okay for a Core 2 Duo?

Last response: in CPUs
March 28, 2012 11:43:05 AM

Hello,

I have a quick question, I used to have these kind of temperatures for the Core 2 Duo @3.06 GHz at idle: Core 1= 36c Core 2= 38c
Than I started to play games like Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.
After that I saw that the temperatures of the Core 2 Duo @3.06 GHz were on these temperatures at idle: Core 1= 37c Core 2= 38c
Now here is my question, is this a sign that I am ''stressing'' my CPU way to hard? Will these temperatures get higher on idle if I keep playing these games?
Or can I just keep playing these games without harming the CPU.

Thank you for reading.

PS: Raising the amount of RPM on the CPU fan is not a option, because I cannot stand a noisy computer :??: 

More about : temperatures core duo

March 28, 2012 12:03:58 PM

I'm just checking, you have a 1c deviation on Core 1? This could be down to any number of reasons, like a small shift in ambient temperature or nothing more than a tolerance issue which means it's simply rounded up now it has tipped from 36.49 to 36.50

That deviation level wouldn't worry me personally. What about temps of the CPU under load?
March 28, 2012 12:08:43 PM

chinchilla_bob said:
I'm just checking, you have a 1c deviation on Core 1? This could be down to any number of reasons, like a small shift in ambient temperature or nothing more than a tolerance issue which means it's simply rounded up now it has tipped from 36.49 to 36.50

That deviation level wouldn't worry me personally. What about temps of the CPU under load?

Well, maybe you are right it is getting warmer here because of the summer, though it is not really that warmer that the CPU will be raised by 1c.
And when I am playing Battlefield 3, wich pushes the Core 2 Duo to the limit the temperatures are around: Core 1= 52c Core 2= 48c
Related resources
March 28, 2012 12:12:45 PM

those temps aren't bad, but your main focus should be the temps while in game. idle temps are important too, if you want your temps lower all the time, consider a better cooler. get one that isn't noisy.
March 28, 2012 12:27:36 PM

Scaleo said:
Well, maybe you are right it is getting warmer here because of the summer, though it is not really that warmer that the CPU will be raised by 1c.
And when I am playing Battlefield 3, wich pushes the Core 2 Duo to the limit the temperatures are around: Core 1= 52c Core 2= 48c

Nothing looks out of place to me. No dust deposits around the CPU? Fans aren't running that marginally slower than before, still the same space around the case fans (PC not pushed further against the wall for instance). Given there is 1 degree deviation and your are quoting round numbers for the temps I think there is nothing more than a slight drift in tolerances. A tolerence movement from 36.49 to 36.50 degrees on core one measurment reading could have been the only thing to have made it artificially look like a whole degree change. The actual temp of Core 1 could well be the exact same temperature it always has been but if the means to measure the temperature has a tolerence of 0.5 degrees and it rounds up then this could be nothing more than tolerances at play.

I'd sleep easy if I were you :)  If you still have niggles in your mind just ensure your system is dust free otherwise you could go looking for a phantom problem that isn't there.
March 28, 2012 12:38:07 PM

Okay, thank you!
!