travismontana

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I have the iris 8 motherboard that has a socket am2, I want to know if a socket fm1 (AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) Socket FM1 65W Triple-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3500OJGXBOX) would fit since it has the same power usage as my dual core 4450e processor, which I have overclocked from 2.3 to 2.7
now it runs mass effect 3 at high res and all like clock work, and battlefield 3 and the new games just fine but wanted to know for the extra cpu muscle.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Compatibility has nothing to do with power usage, but rather the pins that connect the CPU to the motherboard. Each configuration is called a socket. Socket FM1 does not have a compatible configuration with Socket AM2, so you cannot put an FM1 processor in an AM2 socket.

travismontana

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
thats what I thought, but everytime I look it up it doesnt tell me other than am2 am2+ am3 so thats why I wanted to know, I want to upgrade my computer or just get a new rig but when I saw the cpu for 70.00 and at 65 watts for a triple core, I just wanted to be sure. I put in alot in this computer and it runs great but I want to upgrade.

popatim

Titan
If its running mass effect 3 a t high res then you must have a decent graphics card already so I would look up the cpu support list for your motherbd and just upgrade the cpu you have. Odds are it will support many of the phenom II's which is a better processor than the one on the AMD APU's. The APU's have decent graphics but you already have that...so why buy a gpu twice. My opinion for what its worth.