Psu fan really loud after installing graphic card

manohar_62

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
hi
i just bought a new galaxy gts 250 1gb ddr3 graphic card and a new 550 watt psu with dual fan having 30A on +12 volt rail named Speed.
before i installed the graphic card the psu fan was very quite but after i installed the card the psu is really lound except when computer is idle.
the games run fine but the sound of psu's fan buzzing is very loud.
is there any problem with psu ?

my specifications are
pentium d 3.2gz processor
intel 945GCCR board
Speed 550 watt psu with dual fan
seagate sata hdd
sony dvd rw
galaxy gts 250 1gb ddr3 graphic card

If you get a quality PSU there will be less noise. If you get an 80+ rated Bronze, silver, gold, platinum the efficiency will be higher and create less heat for equal power delivered. There are many good quality PSUs Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Silverstone.... You can check out jonnygru.com - more info ther than you can imagine!!!!
-Bruce

ram1009

Distinguished
I agree completely with the comments so far however I seem to be the lone voice around here extolling the virtues of oversize PSUs. Personally, I never want my PSU running over 50% of capacity. The benefits are far reaching and the cost is low. It's the cheapest insurance policy you'll ever buy for your rig. In short, buy the biggest quality PSU you can afford.

manohar_62

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

my processor tempreature is also very high around 70 to 75C can it be the cause?
can underclockin the graphic card reduce the strain on psu. is it safe to underclock graphic card?
here a decent brand psu is hard to find in a market. best brand i found in market was goldkist 550watt which cost slightly more buks but it has only 16amp on +12v rail should i exchange current with goldkist one?

manohar_62

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
i bought 550watt psu with dual 12v with 19amp but the sound still existed. the problem was solved when i put a rear fan at the back of the case which just cost $1.5. It means the problem was cause due to overheating of my system temp(ambient temp not CPU) which used to be around 45-50c before rear fan was installed, now it is at 31-32c and the spinning noise of psu fan is negligible.