Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard doesnt recognise memory

Last response: in Memory
February 4, 2013 5:50:44 PM

Hello ,I have 8 GB of ram but my system memory shows 8GBram (4GB usable ) so I went into bios checked system memory it shows 4094 gb ??

I tried taking out the ram switching it but that didn't change anything , any ideas how to fix this ?

note - I recently went from windows vista 64 bit to windows 8 64 bit

motherboard - maximus formular 111
ram - corsair dominator

I don't know much about computing so please try to keep it simple if possible step by step walk through

Thanks n advanced :) 
a b } Memory
a c 557 V Motherboard
February 4, 2013 6:59:01 PM

Hi, Try unplugging the power cord and removing the CMOS battery for few minutes. Look for a video on youtube if unsure how to remove the CMOS battery.
Score
February 4, 2013 8:07:33 PM

I gave that a go didn't do anything, still in my bios setting shows 4094 GB of memory

and in my desktop settings still shows 8GB (4GB usable)
Score
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 557 V Motherboard
February 4, 2013 8:25:20 PM

Check in msconfig / Boot / Advanced Options. Maximum memory has to be unchecked.
Also in BIOS /Advanced Chipset settings / North Bridge, Remap Memory has to be enabled.
Score
February 5, 2013 4:11:02 AM

Check in msconfig / Boot / Advanced Options. Maximum memory has to be unchecked.
Also in BIOS /Advanced Chipset settings / North Bridge, Remap Memory has to be enabled.

both of these are as they should be, still didn't fix the problem I think my bios is out dated but the only updates are for windows vista / windows 7 but im running windows 8 not sure if that has any cause to the problem
Score

Best solution

a c 85 } Memory
a c 471 V Motherboard
February 5, 2013 4:59:52 AM

bios is not os depent it not a driver. the last bios file for your mb is Version 2202. if your bios is less that that download the file to a usb stick do into the bios and use the mb bios updater tool. if the memory still shows 4g you may have a bad memory stick or a dead ram slot. take out both dimms. try each dimm by itself. if you have a bad dimm them one of them wont read/system wont post. if you have a bad slot in the mb moving the dimm to another bank may work. the issue to is if the ram is 2 sided ram the mb may be only reading 1/2 the ram.
February 5, 2013 6:37:56 AM

SMORIZIO thanks for your help, I pulled out all the ram tested it individually it all worked

then I reinserted ram firstly into red slots ( 2 sticks ) and then black slots (2 sticks ) turn pc back on

and all ram is now present.

Strange thing is I pulled out the ram yesterday and switched it around but it didn't solve the problem but today is all good ??

only thing I done different is place ram as pairs in each colour slot.

My bios is still 2104 don't think I will update it as im not comfortable with that process in the past I used auto update but now that software is not compatible with this op system.

PROBLEM SOLVED :) 
Score
February 5, 2013 6:38:54 AM

Best answer selected by Jadewarrior.
Score
!