Is this a good price for a pre-built rig?

Didn't really know where to post this, so I just went for the components section.

So this guy at know that is in my IT class builds computers and sells them as a side job. He does pretty decent work from what I've seen and a few of my friends have bought from him, his website is "valkyriecreations.webs.com" Now my question is, whether or not I'm being charged way too much for this build. I know "Just build it yourself, save the money." but I honestly don't have time to do it and figured I'd let someone else do all the labor while I get to study.

Anyway, question being, is this a fair price for the parts/power?
CASE: Raven 01
PSU: Corsair TX650
CPU: AMD Zambezi 4100
GPU: PowerColor 6870
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock 970 Extreme4
RAM: 8GB G.Skill @ 1600MHz
HDD: WD caviar black 1TB
Total cost: $886
9 answers Last reply
More about good price built
  1. Not really no, You could get something like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229284 and then with the money left over get a 6870 and then you will have a far superior pc
  2. I agree with Seumas, you should be getting an i5 build for that price.
  3. CASE: Raven 01 $165
    PSU: Corsair TX650 $ 90
    CPU: AMD Zambezi 4100 $110
    GPU: PowerColor 6870 $160
    MOTHERBOARD: ASRock 970 Extreme4 $ 85
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill @ 1600MHz $ 47
    HDD: WD caviar black 1TB $140
    Total cost: $886 .....................................$797

Not a horrible markup for his labor IMO.

I have reservatiions that a fx4100 wouldn't hold back a 6870 GPU thou and you might want to jump up to 1866 speed ram.

The cyberpower referenced above is a much better bargain, not only is it $100 less, its significantly more powerful and comes with Windows which is not even included in your custom built rig. If it were a vote it would get mine.
  4. The FX CPU is horrible

Price seems highish but theres worse markup out there
  5. So it would be a better deal to maybe get a Phenom II x4 965 BE rather than the FX series?

Reason the OS isn't on there is because I have one already,
  6. Oh and where did you find a Raven 01 for 165? I did some looking online and found the lowest for 199 at tigerdirect
  7. They aren't charging too much for labor for building, however you would do much better to get the cyberpower one listed and buy a 6870 to replace the GPU it comes with. You may even be able to sell the GPU you replaced. Overall you get a better performing PC. The case isn't too bad for being a cheap apevia. The case lacks some features but overall is good for it's price.
  8. ezkill said:
    Oh and where did you find a Raven 01 for 165? I did some looking online and found the lowest for 199 at tigerdirect

Heartland discounts
    http://www.heartland-discounts.com/products/SilverStone-Full-Tower-Reinforced-Plastic-Outer-Case-RV01B%252dW-(Black)-%252d%252d-1AO001GUFESF3.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Components Product