What to do with a mounting hole which isn't?

Ulysses1337

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
The Cougar Volant comes with only a couple of traditional standoffs for atypical form factors. The mounting holes are elevated like so /-\. The middle point instead has what I can only describe as a permanently-attached threadless standoff.

What should I do? I want proper grounding for my mobo and I'd rather not solder the contacts. :p

34xoz8p.jpg

Pic of empty case

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's perfectly normal. Some cases use a guide at the center standoff point instead of a standoff with a threaded hole for a bolt. The idea is to help you guide the board into position. Since every other standoff hole has grounding traces around it, one less makes absolutely no difference. You are fine as is.

Ulysses1337

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

Over the weekend I read or heard that stability depends on every last point for grounding/dissipation. That's admittedly dubious but I don't know enough to dispute it. If I were supposed to use something more, it would have been included in the pack surely. Thanks for your input.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I would be very interested in reading that article. It makes little sense. Every mtg. bolt head is grounding the board's tiny grounding traces, as are every static 'finger' on the I/O plate at the back of the case, as is the ground wire from the PSU, and those are just the obvious places. Not to worry.