Sign in with
Your question

Some Doubts

Last response: in Systems
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 5:55:55 AM

Hey Tom's Hardware.

I asked earlier on building a gaming pc, however, I am starting to have doubts. Since I have not played a Console Game since the PS1 and Game Boy Advance times, should I really go on with building a gaming PC? I realize it would take forever to get in to PC gaming or any kind of gaming after MANY years and no clue on games out within the decade. The only games I've played are Emulator DS Games (don't ask) and Runescape, an online Java-based game. I have played some shooter games when my cousins from Georgia visit, but I don't think that truly counts.

What do you all think? Should I spend the $1150 on a gaming PC or not? Please provide an explanation of why not or, if I should, how I should start getting into the current "metagame" of PC Gaming and gaming in general. I have been deprived as a kid, so that stems from that. Anyway, all ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

More about : doubts

a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 6:05:56 AM

Why is it that you want to break into PC gaming now?

It sounds to me like you just don't play a lot of games in general.

If you really don't play a lot of games in general, why is it you are interested in starting to do so now?

In any event, I don't think you should get the $1150 computer in your situation.

If you aren't sure you even want to do this thing then I don't see any good reason to go all out like this.

Why not spec out a $600 budget PC and keep the other half? Then if you don't end up using it as much then you have only have half as much invested in it.

Comparing a generic $600 with a generic $1200 the 1200 is probably only about 50% better for 100% more cost so you do get a lot more but the cost scales up more quickly than performance does.

You can get the stuff listed in my signature (2 x 4GB instead) for about $600 I would say. You can consider that as a middle option along with your 1200 or nothing options.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 6:12:34 AM

I should link my other thread to here to describe my motives of making a gaming pc. Mainly, it is because since I have $ now, I would like to get into gaming, since I have always wanted to play games due to my deprived teenage-hood away from games.
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2011 6:25:11 AM

If you want to build a game machine at whatever price point, go for it. The good news is that if you decide that gaming is not for you, your new computer will last a long time before you need to upgrade.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 6:28:02 AM

How would I go about getting into gaming if I do so?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 6:31:19 AM

A $600 computer is more powerful than any console available right now (although quite a bit more expensive too), so you could still consider it for an entry level system.

The $1200 will give you a much better gaming experience so if the extra $600 isn't worth very much to you there is no reason not to go for it.

Anyway, I don't think I completely understand the absolute most basic question that is causing you to hesitate with all of this.

It sounds like you want to get into the gaming scene, but something is keeping you from pulling the trigger.

The most logical obstacle I see from my perspective is potential buyer's remorse. If the money wasn't a big deal then there would be no reason to just buy it and if you don't like it then it wouldn't really matter, so the money must be pretty significant.

Would it be fair to say that $1200 is a pretty big deal and you aren't sure you will get $1200 value out of it?

If so, I would again suggest a regular $600 computer and you can use that for a while to see how it all turns out and if you decide you would like to invest more in gaming then you can plan another better system for a year or two down the road when you are sure that gaming is something you would really like to get into over the long term.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 6:35:05 AM

I have explained the things that are giving my second thoughts, but I'll repeat them. I haven't had any game system in my life, except for a PS1 and Game Boy, so I am a complete novice to gaming. However, I started playing RS in 2005, but since I didn't have any money to build a gaming pc and get into gaming. Now that I have $, I want to build one. The main thing that is holding me back is lack of knowledge on gaming.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 6:35:22 AM

There is really no one way into gaming that works for everybody.

Everybody likes something different.

Madden xxxx (whatever year) is always a hugely popular gaming title, but I would never play it.

Some people like shooting games mostly, others like strategy games mostly, others like RPGs mostly, others like simulation games.

I could make a representative title with a game of each type and you could just get all of them, or you could pick out one or two categories you would be most interested in and I could just list those.

There are plenty of perfectly good games out there that are available for free or for $5 or less. Indeed I get most of the games I play for $5 or less through deals on www.steampowered.com or www.gog.com.

- Edit - You will have to forgive my difficulty getting into your mindset. I wasn't "deprived" you could say so I have never known what it is like not to game. I play anything people put in front of me. I can play Chess at a pretty high level, poker, spades, rummy, uno, a dozen other card games, battleship, basically anything that can be played without feeling any sort of intimidation from it. If I want to play a game I just do it.

Anyway, there is something that for you is like a wall and for me its more like a speed bump and I don't quite get it. I would like to so I can relate similar experiences or share insights, but its tough if all I have to go on is a lack of knowledge on gaming.

I don't think it takes a whole lot of knowledge to get into, just buy some cheap games and start playing. When you find one you really like then investigate that style of game a little bit more and try games similar to it.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 6:38:55 AM

I have gotten a liking into first-person shooter games. Played a few times MW2 with my cousins and Half-Life and Counterstrike. I like racing games like Need for Speed (played it once).
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 7:03:42 AM

I have personally played a lot of different arcade racing games (Need for Speed) but not very many simulation racing games (Forza or something?).

The main difference is that the arcade ones feel faster and more exciting whereas the simulation games feel more realistic and probably feel more like you are racing in NASCAR or something.

I prefer excitement over realism, so I stick with that kind personally.

Anyway, I can tell you that the game Need For Speed: Most Wanted was probably the highest acclaim game from the entire series and it comes with stuff like the police busting your race and your regular race turns into a race you still have to win, but even if you do you have to continue on until you lose the cops (potentially very difficult at the end of the game).

Another game (that you can get for free with AMD video cards) is Dirt 3. It is a new game, but also very promising. It is more of a simulation game I would say. The speeds are slower and mistakes you make can be much more harmful to your scores than they are in most arcade racing games.

That being said, I have been trying Dirt 3 a little bit since I indeed did get it for free with a video card and I can say that the Gymkana mode is a pretty cool one. It is basically just a big bowl with every potential style thing you can do (drifting under things, doing doughnuts around poles, smashing things, jumps, etc) and you just get released into it and told to go play (just do it better than your opponents too).

You could start with both of those titles.

As for shooting games, I know that Halo is a series that sells really well, so is Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, and Half Life has always had a strong audience even a decade after it came out.

If you want to try some crossover titles of those kinds that touch on other genres as well you could try Portal (puzzle game with FPS style gameplay) or Bioshock (FPS with RPG elements) or Flatout (Racing + derby) or Blur (Racing + RPG elements).
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 23, 2011 7:36:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I will be going for building this computer! :) 
m
l
!