Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Here is my specs.
Intel G630
4GB RAM
Sapphire HD 7770 OC
Seasonic SI2II 525w
Asus P8H61MLX

Everytime my GPU activity runs at 80% and above there will be a high pitch sound from the motherboard. Also in power options when i choose high performance a high pitch sound will also produce. im very sure its the motherboard because i stopped all the fans and the noise is still there. i even isolated the power supply from the motherboard by running it without the chasis and its really from the motherboard. the performance is alright but im worried if it is safe. can my whole computer blow? :eek:

Solution

If the noise is due to feedback loop instability, what you are hearing is the variations in magnetizing current between cycles and you would likely be able to change how it sounds at least to some extent by changing the VRM load but that requires either (or both) overclocking or under/over-volting, which would void your warranty. However, there is no guarantee that it will go away.

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
What you are experiencing is called coil whine. Coils vibrate at a high frequency sometimes when there is high current going through them. It is not dangerous, and it shouldn't be more than an annoyance. From my understanding it's a luck of the draw type of thing, some will do it, some won't. Can either be coming from your Mother Board or your GPU, either one can produce this sound sometimes. If it bothers you enough that it is distracting, you can always try the RMA process, but if it doesn't bug you that much, it isn't damaging anything. :)

InvalidError

Titan
RMA: Return Material Authorization

You call your manufacturer or file an online form to obtain an RMA# which manufacturers require that you include with your returned-for-warranty-service component(s) as proof that the return was approved before you shipped it.

InvalidError

Titan

Modern DC-DC converters operate at frequencies over 250kHz, they should not be producing any audible noise under normal circumstances. At least three things may cause them to make noise: bad caps (uncommon on modern motherboards) irregular load changes (harmless but annoying) and stability problem in the feedback loop (may or not be a problem depending on how much it affects load regulation. You would need a DSO or capture card with at least 20MHz of bandwidth to verify this.)

InvalidError

Titan

525W from a reasonably good PSU is enough for ANY mid-range PC.

A Pentium-G and HD7770 will use around 150W.
An overclocked i7-3960X with overclocked HD7970 use only ~350W.

A REAL 500W PSU is enough to power a lot more hardware than what most people think it can and Seasonic PSUs are usually among the best there is.

So a 525W Seasonic PSU should definitely be overkill for the OP's system.

dency45

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

wow. you do not know what you are talking about.

InvalidError

Titan

If the noise is due to feedback loop instability, what you are hearing is the variations in magnetizing current between cycles and you would likely be able to change how it sounds at least to some extent by changing the VRM load but that requires either (or both) overclocking or under/over-volting, which would void your warranty. However, there is no guarantee that it will go away.

Solution