Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD 970 vs 965 vs 960T?

Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2012 1:18:57 AM

BigMack70 said:
The 970 is the worst of the three, since I don't think it's a black edition so you can't easily overclock it. If you're absolutely dead-set against even touching overclocking, then it's the best of the three options. However, they're all terrible buys for the money unless you're willing to try to push them to 4.0 GHz

If you're willing to overclock, the 960T is the best chip. It will overclock as well as the 965, but you also get about a 50% chance that the extra cores will unlock and then you have a hexacore chip that can overclock to 3.8-4.2 GHz easily. I got the 960t a couple months ago and have loved it! Sadly, it doesn't have the juice needed to power CF 7970s, so I'll have to sell it off in favor of Ivy Bridge soon, despite my preference for AMD's CPUs.

do you think any one of the three will bottleneck a gtx 560? i have a 555 x2 phenom BE right now, and its bottlenecking my gtx 560. I tried unlocking it to four cores, no luck.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2012 3:17:24 AM

i dont think i will be able to overclock, because of my 400 watt psu. im having no problems so far with it, but overclocking i think will be too much. Which one is good without the overclock? Oh, id prefer the one with less power. Thanks guys for all the info.
m
l
March 29, 2012 3:38:33 AM

BigMack70 said:
The 960T has a 95W TDP as opposed to the 125W TDP on the other two. I'd say pick that one up, and then you can always bump the clock speed up to 3.4 or 3.6 GHz - it won't really increase power draw much. The thing that can really increase power draw is increasing the voltages (which you would need to do to get to 4 GHz, but not to 3.4 or 3.6). You could probably get away with a bump to 3.4 GHz on the stock heatsink just fine as well.

so performance wise, will it do better than a 965 BE?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 29, 2012 5:11:33 AM

My 970BE can hit 4.0Ghz easily. I can push it to 4.2Ghz but that requires a bump up the voltage a little to much for my liking. Highest I've gone was 4.4Ghz and that required some serious overvolting that I wasn't comfortable with.

Between those three go with the 965BE and Clock it to 4Ghz. You should be ok with your 400W PSU, but you really need to upgrade toa 450 or 500W quality PSU. Never ~EVER~ go cheap with a PSU (or motherboard), you'll thank yourself later.
April 5, 2012 1:34:56 AM

BigMack70 said:
If his PSU can't deliver stable, clean power, it will be dangerous for him to try to get to a clock like 4 GHz (even though it can deliver the watts needed)... basically all voltage tweaking should be avoided on a cheap PSU.

Yeah -_- i installed a HDD cause i needed to give the ssd back to my friend, (he lent it to me because my regular hard drive broke) and now, since my power supply needs to give out more power, my pc has been overgoing random shutdowns. Well, the computer is still running (fans on) but the display to the monitor disconnects. I restart it and everything is fine. Guess i need a new psu first.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2012 1:56:10 AM

grapez said:
Yeah -_- i installed a HDD cause i needed to give the ssd back to my friend, (he lent it to me because my regular hard drive broke) and now, since my power supply needs to give out more power, my pc has been overgoing random shutdowns. Well, the computer is still running (fans on) but the display to the monitor disconnects. I restart it and everything is fine. Guess i need a new psu first.

Don't go cheap when you buy a new PSU. Get one of the slightly more expensive modular ones from a known brand name, preferably one that's been reviewed and tested. Bad PSU's and bad MoBo components will cause all sorts of nightmares and system instabilities.
m
l
April 5, 2012 3:49:26 AM

Best answer selected by grapez.
m
l
!