GTX 560 with or without GTS250

Status
Not open for further replies.

obiwan8000

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hi All -

I've seen a lot about this specific topic, but would like a little more information with respect to my particular system.

I just bought the GTX 560 (it's fantastic) and have 2 x GTS 250's laying around now, so I figure why not use one as a dedicated physx card. All power cables are maxed out at this point, but it ran just fine last night.

My mobo is an Asus P5N-T Deluxe. Am I greatly benefitting from the dedicated gts 250 card or is it not even worthwhile?

Anyone have any data from a system with a standalone GTX 560 vs one with a 560 and a 250 as a physx card?

Thanks in advance.

- 0bi

Well, a PhysX card is, of course, only useful in games with GPU accelerated PhysX. There really aren't that many that use it to notable degree. The recent games in which it is a worthwhile feature are the Batman games and Mafia 2. Perhaps play through those if you are interested with a GTS 250 installed but personally I would not keep the GTS 250 in the system other than that. The card uses between 30-50w depending on the model just at idle. So except when actually running the rare game that uses it it will just be sucking down juice and raising your power bill.

obiwan8000

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Yeah - I've heard it's just a waste of power for the most part - though - I've got a 1200 watt PS so it's not all that bad and what's a few more bucks, lol

Was definitely bummed to find the 560's required 2 x 6 pin power. Had already bought 2 with the intent to bridge them, but I suppose as great a card as it is two may be overkill and bottlenecked by my mobo anyway right?

Might keep the 250 in for now and try out the new Batman game.

Given I decide it's not worth it and sell both 250's - is there a way to take the 8 pin power connectors to somehow use in powering a second 560 or are we talking mobo upgrade? ::dread::

Just because you have a 1200w PSU does not mean it is using 1200w. A power supply only delivers the amount of power your computer needs to run. How much it will use depends on that and its efficiency. For example if the PSU has an efficiency of 80% and the computer needs 300w then it will be taking 360w from the wall.
Your motherboard is fine for SLI. Not sure why you think it would be a bottleneck.
If you have a 1200w PSU it can surely handle two GTX 560s. The connectors don't really matter. There are cheap adapters that can turn either an 8-pin PCI-E connector or two 4-pin molex connectors into a 6-pin PCI-E.

Have you tried running them in SLi?

obiwan8000

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

I've not tried running them in SLI yet because I only have enough 6 pin power adapters to run the single GTX 560 and the one 250.

I may try going and getting an 8 to 6 pin adapter. I really wish they were the 6 + 2 pins so I could just split them apart, but they're not.

and jyjjy: Yeah I know, definitely not using all 1200. I'm just always worried one of these days I'm going to put it over the top, but I suppose that may be difficult until I get some ridiculous rig.

cps1974: 580 is way too expensive right now, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.