Power Supply Causing Red Flicker in Full Screen Games

JonesAddict

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I have just recently bought a new Alienware laptop. It has been working perfectly fine until I decided to play with the high contrast setting for Windows 7 themes. After doing so, Full Screen games got a flicker of red in the background whenever I play. If I unplug my laptop from the power supply, it goes back to normal. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? If anyone can tell me anything, it would be a huge help. Thanks!

JonesAddict

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Did you ever end up fixing it?

I'm having the same problem.

I haven't fixed it yet, though I may now know what the problem is. I believe something is wrong with the SLI chip inside of the laptop causing the graphics cards to become un-synced and thus causing the red flicker. I disabled the SLI function and that seems to have stopped the flickering though I have yet to get it fixed. Hope this helps!

xanoku

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I've been doing this too. Sadly this isn't a solution though, just a temporary workaround. I didn't pay this much for a laptop with SLI just to turn it off.

580Ms are expensive.

JonesAddict

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
My thoughts exactly. I have yet to contact Dell to see if I can get it sent in for fixing. I need it for my classes so I can't just let it go for any more than a few days. Hopefully I will be able to soon, or at the least open it up and take a look at it myself.