Sign in with
Your question

New Computer Freezing/Crashing very frequently

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2012 2:54:22 AM

I am about to melt into rage. I have had this brand new gaming rig crash THREE TIMES in the time it took me to write this, making me rewrite it each time.

This problem started happening straight out of the box, first time I plugged her in with nothing installed except Windows 7 64 bit. The computer will freeze during games/general application use. The mouse will freeze up, and the sounds will loop endlessly in this weird robotic-esque noise. The keyboard and mousee go completely null, and there isn't anything I can do but hard-reset it.
The one peculiar thing I have noticed is that the HDD light will go from flickering during regular use to staying completely on when it freezes. Now this could be the motherboard being a bitch and not responding, or could be the SSD not responding (A Crucial m4 128GB). I don't believe its my graphics cards as they worked fine in another computer. My HDD probably has nothing to do with it since it's being used solely as a data drive. My DVD drive works just dandy.

So, what's a man to do? These are the steps I've taken:
Ran Memtest86+ for 5 passes on 4GB of RAM, no errors. (Have tested with two other 'positive' 4GB sticks aswell)
Pop in the ASRock drivers disc, install all the drivers.
Update the SSD Firmware.
Update the BIOS.
Uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology as I read someone with my same problem uninstalled this and it worked fine.
Applied a registry fix to terminate the LPM feature that broke the Crucial 300 drives (just incase, don't need it anyways)
Drink a cup of tea since I'm about to freak out
Turn off Drive Caching and Defrag, as Crucial recommended when I called their Customer Support.

I also contacted the ASRock Customer Support and recieved some horribly wordsmithed sentance fragments on updating the BIOS and Pressing F9 or something, pretty useless.

Do you guys think its the SSD? Windows 7 just being dumb? ASRock making shoddy parts? Or they just don't like eachother? I'd like to return it as fast as possible since this is haulting many overdue papers.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme6/GB LGA 2011
CPU: Intel 3820 @ stock clock
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 LGA 2011 Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600Mhz, but using one stick at a time for debuggings sake
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SATA III
HDD 1 (used for Data): Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB
HDD 2 (used for Backup, nothing actually on it):WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
GPU's: Dual GTX 9800's in SLI
DVD Drive: A general Lightscribe discdrive I found at Goodwill.

Internet is via LAN.
2x 1080p monitors.
Case is a Obsidian 800D
March 29, 2012 3:06:05 AM

Do you get any BSODs and have you downloaded and run memtest86+?
m
l
March 29, 2012 7:27:51 PM

scottiemedic said:
Do you get any BSODs and have you downloaded and run memtest86+?

No, no BSOD's. Got one a long time ago before I installed graphics drivers, installed them, no more BSODs.
Ran Memtest86+ for 5 passes on each stick, no problems.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2012 7:37:24 PM

Ok, I've seen this happen before, and its usually a very low level memory related problem.

First and foremost: Run Prime95's blend test for several hours. If there is a problem anywhere in the memory subsystem [be it an underpowered northbridge, bad RAM, or whatnot], that will pick it up.

You get a BSOD within windows when you run into a double-fault [EG: An error when trying to handle an exception]. You totally freeze the CPU on a triple-fault, which means massive problems down within the Windows Kernel. Nothing will happen until you do a hard reset.
m
l
March 29, 2012 7:42:31 PM

Downloading Prime95 64 bit right now, I'm just scared that the computer will freeze up before Prime95 picks up anything.
Hair has been thoroughly ripped out.
m
l
March 29, 2012 8:26:48 PM

Just ran Prime95, got past the first 640K self test, all 6 passes. Went to the 8K self-test and it crashed halfway through. My ASRock Overclock Tuner program said my CPU was at 47C, but when it crashed it read it at 61C. My HDD light was still flickering on my PC case, though.

Just reinstalled Windows 7 after clearing the CMOS.. Still crashing :/ 
m
l
March 30, 2012 8:08:35 AM

I have noticed my new workstation having very similar freeze up behaviour several times a day (only had it for two days)
i7 3630K 32GB RAM x79 gigabyte MOBO quadro 4000 seasonic power supply 80+platinum lanboy air case
What can be going on here?
freaking me out having to turn this beast off at the wall all of the time?
Any suggestions?
cheers
Aaron
m
l
March 30, 2012 12:39:41 PM

Centruno said:
Just ran Prime95, got past the first 640K self test, all 6 passes. Went to the 8K self-test and it crashed halfway through. My ASRock Overclock Tuner program said my CPU was at 47C, but when it crashed it read it at 61C. My HDD light was still flickering on my PC case, though.

Just reinstalled Windows 7 after clearing the CMOS.. Still crashing :/ 

Define crash; did it detect an error, or did it physically crash the PC?

Also, to be really safe, remove any OC and any OC tools, incase they are screwing up something deep within the system.
m
l
March 30, 2012 1:18:05 PM

gamerk316 said:
Define crash; did it detect an error, or did it physically crash the PC?

Also, to be really safe, remove any OC and any OC tools, incase they are screwing up something deep within the system.

I gave a description of the crash in the OP, but basically the whole computer freezes up with no warning/no errors detected. I can't do anything at all and I have to hard reset it to do anything.

I have not had any OC tools installed. The only thing I had installed that was like that was my manufacturer-made hardware monitor, but it was crashing before I installed that.
m
l
March 30, 2012 1:22:06 PM

same symptoms for me and no OC attempted or software downloaded. only geekbench when I first got it home.
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:00:43 AM

subtlefly said:
same symptoms for me and no OC attempted or software downloaded. only geekbench when I first got it home.

I tried contacting my motherboard support people, they hinted that other people had this happen to them too.
Something else thats weird: My motherboard is only detecting 8GB of RAM. It isn't even picking up the other 8GB in the BIOS
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:02:50 AM

hey are you using norton anti virus? I am having forums tell me this could be the cause?
what do you think? This is totally stressing me out
sub
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:08:48 AM

hey scrap that uninstalled it and no joy, still locking up under any sort of pressure
m
l
March 31, 2012 4:06:25 PM

try removing your other RAM and try setting up the system with only 8g vs the other sitcks. Might do the trick. But it sounds like you have a faulty or BAD piece of hardware somewheres. Its Hard to Tell w/o BSOD...
m
l
March 31, 2012 6:09:10 PM

graebner101 said:
try removing your other RAM and try setting up the system with only 8g vs the other sitcks. Might do the trick. But it sounds like you have a faulty or BAD piece of hardware somewheres. Its Hard to Tell w/o BSOD...

Speaking of which I actually got a BSOD today after a really weird crash (my second monitor was turned on but my first one wasn't working, everything unresponsive)
I'm attaching the minidump file: http://www.filedropper.com/040112-12916-01
m
l
April 1, 2012 7:14:23 PM

Sill not sure whats up. Again reinstalled Windows 7, but onto the HDD. I took out the SSD completely.
Still the same crashes, wtf.
No idea what is up?
m
l
June 1, 2012 5:45:03 PM

Try replacing your ram mate, i had the same problem, lucky me had two desktops at home tried to isolate the problem and find the root cause,,not much of a techie but somehow replacing my corsair with another ram solved the problem. now it runs sesamlessly.
m
l
!