Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Desktop extends display on all sides

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2011 9:05:57 PM

I built myself a new PC, thanks to a little help I got here at toms. I connected it to my LCD monitor and all's well. But when I tried connecting this to my TV through an HDMI cable. It does work as a display for the PC, but the edges of the desktop extends beyond the TV screen. Even when the PC is started, the initial 'dos screen' also seems to extend the screen. Hence all the edges of my PC are not visible on TV. (Taskbar for instance - I cant see the bottom 60%-70%,... the left most icons has the initial left portion outside the screen.)
All I have done so far is install Win 7 & motherboard drivers (i5 2500K & ASUS V8Z68 V-Pro)

What is the problem here? Have I done something wrong with my setup? How can I fix this? It is a very nagging issue.
I have no display card yet. Have connected motherboard HDMI out to TV HDMI In.

Best solution

October 25, 2011 9:28:02 PM

Check your HDTV display settings for a "scale to aspect ratio" setting. This will scale your TV to fit the input source, and not the other way around. If your TV has an aspect ratio of 16:10, and your pc's aspect ratio is 16:9 your computer output will always be stretched to fit the 16:10 aspect ratio of your TV.
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b x TV
October 25, 2011 9:35:52 PM

This is a common issue when connecting a PC to a HDTV. Check to see if the control panel for the Intel HD 3000 has a scaling option.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2011 11:14:42 PM

thanks.
The TV had an enable overscan option which was the issue.

What does this do? I presume it is there for a reason :) 
m
l
October 26, 2011 8:16:57 PM

"The concept of overscan seems particularly difficult for geeks to comprehend -- normal people usually don't care to even understand it -- and some even get down right confrontational when they first learn that all TVs do it. But the fact is that even the latest LCDs and plasmas don't show all 2 million pixels of a 1080p signal out of the box. Instead about 3 percent of 'em are cropped off the edges (as illustrated by the red line in the image above) and the remaining pixels are scaled to fill in all the pixels of your HDTV. The real kick in the head is that the reason isn't a good one, especially when you consider the advanced technology that's available today. So in this HD 101 we're going to cover what overscan is, why it's there, and finally how to "fix" it."

taken from this article: http://hd.engadget.com/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-w...
m
l
November 3, 2011 9:40:21 AM

Best answer selected by ShaQBlogs2011.
m
l
!