SE t68i and Nextel US network

Hi.

I'd like to ask if my Sony Ericsson t68i will be working fine in american
Nextel network ?

Regards,
ABS
8 answers Last reply
More about t68i nextel network

    "abs" <abs_usuntoidwojki222@alpha.net.pl> wrote in message
    > I'd like to ask if my Sony Ericsson t68i will be working fine in american
    > Nextel network ?

    No. Not at all. Nextel uses a technology called iDEN which is only vaguely
    similar to GSM. They do have SIM cards, and in theory you can put a GSM SIM
    in a Nextel phone and roam. However, all (well 99.9% of) Nextel phones are
    locked to Nextel SIMs and won't work with your SIM. Nextel GSM roaming is an
    illusion. It really only works one way; for Nextel customers traveling
    overseas.

    You may be able to roam one or more of several GSM-1900 networks.

    --
    Donald R. Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    "abs" <abs_usuntoidwojki222@alpha.net.pl> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'd like to ask if my Sony Ericsson t68i will be working fine in american
    > Nextel network ?

    No, not on the Nextel iDEN network. It will work on the
    1900 MHz GSM networks of T-Mobile, Cingular, and ATTWS
    (and other minor nets). It won't work on the 850 MHz
    networks (larger portions) of Cingular and ATTWS.

    John C.

    Donald Newcomb wrote:
    > No. Not at all. Nextel uses a technology called iDEN which is only
    > vaguely similar to GSM. They do have SIM cards, and in theory you can
    > put a GSM SIM in a Nextel phone and roam. However, all (well 99.9%
    > of) Nextel phones are locked to Nextel SIMs and won't work with your
    > SIM.

    What a pity. I thought about buying used iDEN phone on ebay but if you claim
    that they are locked it can be difficult to start using it. I'd have to
    remove the lock first.

    > You may be able to roam one or more of several GSM-1900 networks.

    Thanks, I know. But only in Nextel I'd have SMS service to my country for
    free. Normally it's quite expensive in roaming.

    Regards,
    Pawel.

    abs wrote:
    > I'd have to remove the lock first.

    I've just found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43312&item=5700859609
    &rd=1 Does it really work ?

    Regards,
    Pawel.

    > abs wrote:
    > I've just found this:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43312&item=5700859609
    > &rd=1 Does it really work ?

    That is the first I've ever heard about anyone being able to unlock an iDEN
    phone.

    --
    Donald R. Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    Il giorno Sat, 22 May 2004 09:19:28 -0500, "Donald Newcomb"
    <drnewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> con una bandiera della rinata Fiorentina
    in mano e lo striscione "Meglio liberi all'inferno che schiavi in
    paradiso" nell'altra cosi' parlo':

    >Nextel GSM roaming is an
    >illusion. It really only works one way; for Nextel customers traveling
    >overseas.

    ehm... http://www.cellhire.net/wind/i2000.htm (in italian but maybe
    you can understand a little bit about the rent of unlocked i2000 :) )

    --
    Andrea de Florence ©, PrepaidGSM Staff
    - ISCF online: www.iscf.info - Know 3: www.mondo3.com

    AndreA wrote:
    > ehm... http://www.cellhire.net/wind/i2000.htm (in italian but maybe
    > you can understand a little bit about the rent of unlocked i2000 :) )

    So, if I buy used i2000 on ebay, it will work in roaming in Nextel network
    with my GSM card ?

    Regards,
    Pawel.

    > AndreA wrote:
    > > ehm... http://www.cellhire.net/wind/i2000.htm (in italian but maybe
    > > you can understand a little bit about the rent of unlocked i2000 :) )
    >
    > So, if I buy used i2000 on ebay, it will work in roaming in Nextel network
    > with my GSM card ?

    Remember I said that 99.9% of Nextel phones were SIM locked? The 0.1% I left
    out were those few sold to Cellhire to rent to foreign roamers, just so that
    they could say roaming works. As always, if you pay for a rental for two
    weeks, you could have bought the phone.

    --
    Donald R. Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net