Play sound without launching media player

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

How do I play a WAV file I have got in a folder *without* launching a media
player?

Most of the warning sounds XP uses do not need a media player to be
launched. How can I test my WAVs using the same method of playback?
6 answers Last reply
More about play sound launching media player
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    | "Peter Davis" <nomail@privacy.net>
    | Message news:9554A3FC05FFB5D4AM2@127.0.0.1
    | How do I play a WAV file I have got in a folder *without*
    | launching a media player?
    |
    | Most of the warning sounds XP uses do not need a media player
    | to be launched. How can I test my WAVs using the same method
    | of playback?

    If, for example, the WAV is named:

    e:\helpmeet.wav

    Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK:

    sndrec32.exe /embedding /play /close e:\helpmeet.wav

    Thanks to the Scripting Expert "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" for the
    above command.

    REFERENCE:

    From: "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com>
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    Subject: Re: Play sound in command prompt
    Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:27:42 +0100
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Peter Davis wrote:
    > How do I play a WAV file I have got in a folder *without* launching a
    > media player?
    >
    > Most of the warning sounds XP uses do not need a media player to be
    > launched. How can I test my WAVs using the same method of playback?

    You can also open Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Sounds Tab. Select
    any system event and click the Browse Button. Browse to the folder and
    select the .wav file. Click the small Srrow button next to the Browse button
    to play the file. You can make this file an option in the drop down list of
    sounds by placing it in the C:\Windows\Media folder.

    --
    Regards,

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

    > Peter Davis wrote:
    >> How do I play a WAV file I have got in a folder *without*
    >> launching a media player?
    >>
    >> Most of the warning sounds XP uses do not need a media player
    >> to be launched. How can I test my WAVs using the same method
    >> of playback?

    > You can also open Control Panel/Sounds and Audio
    > Devices/Sounds Tab. Select any system event and click the
    > Browse Button. Browse to the folder and select the .wav file.
    > Click the small Srrow button next to the Browse button to play
    > the file. You can make this file an option in the drop down
    > list of sounds by placing it in the C:\Windows\Media folder.

    That is ingenious, thank you, but it's not quite what I want.

    What I really want is to double click a WAV file and hear what it sounds
    like.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote:

    >| "Peter Davis" <nomail@privacy.net>
    >| Message news:9554A3FC05FFB5D4AM2@127.0.0.1
    >| How do I play a WAV file I have got in a folder *without*
    >| launching a media player?
    >|
    >| Most of the warning sounds XP uses do not need a media player
    >| to be launched. How can I test my WAVs using the same method of
    >| playback?

    > If, for example, the WAV is named:
    > e:\helpmeet.wav
    >
    > Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK:
    >
    > sndrec32.exe /embedding /play /close e:\helpmeet.wav

    This seems quite promising.

    What I would like to do is play the WAV file by double-clicking the file.

    I used file associations and associated WAV with "sndrec32.exe". But when
    I double click a WAV file then XP just launches sndrec32.exe. Then I need
    to press 'Play' to actually hear the sound.

    I don't really want the player to launch nor do I want to press anything.

    How can I get the file association to include the parameters you gave me so
    that I end up with:

    sndrec32.exe /embedding /play /close e:\helpmeet.wav

    Can anyone advise?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Windows Explorer
    Tools
    Folder Options
    File Types
    WAV
    New

    - - -New File Type- - -
    Action: Hear
    Application: sndrec32.exe /embedding /Play "%L" /Close
    [y] Use DDE
    DDE Message:
    Application: sndrec32
    DDE Application Not Running:
    Topic: System

    OK
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Set Default
    OK
    Close

    "Peter Davis" <nomail@privacy.net> wrote:
    | "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote:
    |
    | >| "Peter Davis" <nomail@privacy.net>
    | >| Message news:9554A3FC05FFB5D4AM2@127.0.0.1
    | >| How do I play a WAV file I have got in a folder *without*
    | >| launching a media player?
    | >|
    | >| Most of the warning sounds XP uses do not need a media player
    | >| to be launched. How can I test my WAVs using the same method of
    | >| playback?
    |

    | > If, for example, the WAV is named:
    | > e:\helpmeet.wav
    | >
    | > Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK:
    | >
    | > sndrec32.exe /embedding /play /close e:\helpmeet.wav
    |

    | This seems quite promising.
    |
    | What I would like to do is play the WAV file by double-clicking the file.
    |
    | I used file associations and associated WAV with "sndrec32.exe". But when
    | I double click a WAV file then XP just launches sndrec32.exe. Then I need
    | to press 'Play' to actually hear the sound.
    |
    | I don't really want the player to launch nor do I want to press anything.
    |
    | How can I get the file association to include the parameters you gave me so
    | that I end up with:
    |
    | sndrec32.exe /embedding /play /close e:\helpmeet.wav
    |
    | Can anyone advise?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,alt.comp.freeware (More info?)

    "anonymouse" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Windows Explorer
    > Tools
    > Folder Options
    > File Types
    > WAV
    > New
    >
    > - - -New File Type- - -
    > Action: Hear
    > Application: sndrec32.exe /embedding /Play "%L" /Close
    > [y] Use DDE
    > DDE Message:
    > Application: sndrec32
    > DDE Application Not Running:
    > Topic: System
    >
    > OK
    > - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >
    > Set Default
    > OK
    > Close

    I have been trying your method. Thwe firsth to get over is the lack of an
    ADVANCED button on the window for the WAV file type. Hewever, when i press
    restore default then my WMP8 takes over and the edit button is there.

    I can overwrite the WMP8 info with the path to sndrec32.dll and now I can
    add the parameters of /embedding and /play into the box which appears whe I
    press ADVANCED. i edit the entry for PLAY. So far so good and wear
    saynght same thing.

    Now we differ. I keep action as "&Play" (no quotes). I enable DDE. My
    application box entry is as follows:

    C:\WINDOWS\Sndrec32.exe /embedding /play /close %1

    anmd there is nothing in DDE Message, DDE application not running and in
    the Topic box is the word "system".

    All works very nicely.

    BTW I installed player called "1by1" (or One By One if you orfere) which is
    totally free and very small at 54KB. From http://www.mpesch3.de/. It
    advantage is that it will play individual WAV files but through its odd
    interface it will paly whole series of WAV files one after the other so you
    can hear what they are like.

    You will need to get some DLLs from WINAMP but that is easy enough even
    though it's an unconventional step to take.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Peter

    [groups widened to include freeware group whose website steered me to 1by1]

Configuration Microsoft Customization Media Player Windows XP