slee79

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Im new to this so sorry if I post in the wrong section or if I am not specific enough. I was curious as to what the AMD Overdrive Auto-tune mode did and i clicked on it. A few seconds later my computer dies and I cannot even get it to power on. The fan in the PSU will spin for a while and then die. I've gone through the troubleshoot checklist, reset my cmos, took out the battery for the mobo, and breadboarded my system and I've discovered that if I disconnected the 4volt connector on the cpu then the system will power up (but not boot-up any load screen, windows, etc.). If i leave the 20/4 pin connector then the PSU will spin and then shut off. I think I have a dead mobo but I am not sure yet. I don't have any secondary system to swap parts with nor do i have a case speaker for POST signals. My system specs are:
1) CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
2) MOBO: MSI GF615M-P33
3) 4 GB RAM
4) GPU: ATi HD 5540
thank you

slee79

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Actually even if I take all the components out and leave just the CPU with the 20/4 pin connected the PSU will start a little and then shutoff. I've tried it with the 4 pin off (and everything else off) and the PSU and HSF spin. So that is why I'm not sure if its the CPU that is dead or just a certain part of the mobo. Right after the comp crashed I opened the case but I didn't smell anything that would indicate if anything burnt.

sbogus

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Keep in mind that when you plug in the 4-pin CPU plug, you're pulling extra on the 12V rail.
It's very possible the PS overloaded and fried, and cannot maintain the voltage necessary to POST anymore.
Listen to scout, try a spare PS.

slee79

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

I figured that i might as well take it into a shop to look at since i don't have any spare parts to use right now. But thanks for all the help and ill post an update asap

slee79

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

I already put a new mobo in it so if I don't RMA the mobo ill just recycle it lol, thanks anyway though