Raid 10 plus 1 SSD & 3 DVD drives with P9X79 Deluxe

I hope some one has tried this on a P9X79 Deluxe -

I was trying to use the four Intel SATA 3.0 Gb/s connectors for a RAID 10 array, one of the Intel SATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors for a SSD boot drive, and the remaining three SATA connectors (including the two Marvell SATA connectors) for optical drives.

My problem is that although I have the RAID 10 up and running, I can't get the system to boot from the SSD in one of the Intel SATA 6.0 ports.

Then, I read the following in the manual (4-22):

"Due to chipset limitation, when set any of SATA ports to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode together."

Does this mean that it is not possible to use any of the other ports now or do I need to change back to ACHI or IDE mode?

Or should the other ports be usable even though the BIOS reports that they are in RAID mode?

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but my search of the forum didn't turn up anything exactly on point.
2 answers Last reply
More about raid drives p9x79 deluxe
  1. Hi, Was the SSD connected when configured the RAID array? Have you set it as non-RAID http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf ?
    And have you installed Windows on it in RAID mode? If, not you can switch to RAID by aopplying the Microsoft fix.
  2. Quote:
    Hi, Was the SSD connected when configured the RAID array? Have you set it as non-RAID and bootable?

Hi, thanks for the lightning reply!

Yes, it was bootable, but I disconnected it when I made the array.

I should add, that I have the SSD working (booting Win 7 64) through a SATA add-in PCIe card, since I had given up using it through one of the onboard ports.

Oddly, I just looked at the BIOS again and it has now reverted to AHCI, and all of the 4 drives that make up the RAID 10 array are listed as "disabled."

Despite this, the array is still accessible in Windows.

I really don't understand how these settings are supposed to work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards NAS / RAID SATA Intel SSD