Orlando_Elman

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hello to everyone out there!

I am having problems and doubts with regards to my upcoming assembly of a new rig. I am now suffering from an old system, a very old system. Having a Pentium 4 1.8GHz processor for nearly a decade now, I really cant help but envy those people who play modern games on their modern rigs. Hopefully, by the end April, I can finally end this 10-year-old agony.

I am planning on assembling a rig with these specs:

Processor: Intel i3-2100 3.10GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8H61M-LE
Memory: GSkill Ripjaws 2x2Gb DDR3 1333
HDD: 500GB SATA III
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 6770 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Corsair VX450W or Corsair CX430W (I would prefer the 430W one if it can power my system since it costs less)
Case: Aerocool Strike X One

Intel i3-2100 is not overclockable, so I don't need an aftermarket cooler nor a P67 board. I am wondering if the PSU could power the whole system without any problems. I've read many forums saying that an HD 6770 needs at least a 500W PSU. I would also want to play modern games in high settings. By the way, my monitor is a 17" one.

If you have any suggestions about my build, please do tell. After all, I don't know much about computer stuffs. :D Please help me put an end to my suffering. :) Your feedbacks would be highly appreciated guys!

Cheers and thanks!

Orlando_Elman

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the help! Oh by the way, I also read about this "memory timing" stuff. Looking back at my build, will the memory be compatible in the motherboard? Should I adjust the memory timings in the BIOS?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
if going with hd5770/hd6770 then what about this hawk for 100
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490

timings and speed are performance factor
voltage of ram can cause reliabilty issue.
links of your parts will help us to provide more accurate answer

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
a 6770 will play stuff like World of Warcraft or skyrim on quite high settings, but some of the demanding new games (that there are not that many of to be honest) will put you into medium settings probably.
If this PC is only for gaming, the i3 2100 would probably be best, it has shown so in tests. For other demanding things (fx encoding/editing of media) the 4 cores would be nice.