Sign in with
Your question

New Build not working properly (Slow, freezes, reboots)

Last response: in Systems
December 23, 2011 2:40:16 PM

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right category so please redirect me to the correct one if I'm wrong.....
Anyway, I just built my first computer, these are the specs:
Asus P8P67 (Rev 3.1) Motherboard
Intel i5-2500k Processor
Corsair Vengeance 8GB Low-Profile Memory
Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB
OCZ ZS-750 Watt Power Supply
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850
- All housed in an NZXT Phantom

So, this computer should be pretty fast right? Well, not so much. A few times now when I've booted it up, it will start to boot and then before the monitor can even turn on, it shuts off....then a few seconds later it will start up again and be fine.
I'm starting to think that this might be because of my 4.5ghz overclock on the processor (is that possible?) because it didn't start happening until afterwards......
Next everything is very slow and prone to freezing. Windows media player would freeze up every single time I opened it until just a few days ago. Web pages are horribly slow to load (my internet isn't very fast, but my laptop loads web pages faster than the new computer) and it's hooked up directly to the router with an ethernet cable...........
I don't know, it just seems like this should be faster.....
I've ran benchmarks on the processor and it's running up to speed and doing fine.....
What seems to be the problem here?
December 23, 2011 2:47:38 PM

I think it might be a faulty power supply. Go to you friends house, break into their computer, take his power supply, replacing it with yours. Put your friends power supply into your computer, and boot up. If its fast. As it should be, it's your power supply that is faulty.
m
l
December 23, 2011 3:02:00 PM

Andre2807 said:
I think it might be a faulty power supply. Go to you friends house, break into their computer, take his power supply, replacing it with yours. Put your friends power supply into your computer, and boot up. If its fast. As it should be, it's your power supply that is faulty.

Maybe......only problem is I don't have any friends that live close to me and they don't have computers..... (only laptops, and consoles for gaming).... Is there a different way to check if it's the power supply?
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2011 5:06:04 PM

Take the PC to a local PC shop, and ask them to test your rig with one of their PSU's. Then you can check :) 
m
l
December 30, 2011 6:46:03 PM

Andre2807 said:
Take the PC to a local PC shop, and ask them to test your rig with one of their PSU's. Then you can check :) 

Yeah, I'll probably do that... I also noticed that it's really slow after start up. I mean, I'll even leave it alone for 15 minutes after I boot it up and the first thing I press it freezes up. Any idea what causes that, it seems hard to understand that the power supply could cause the system to be slow, it would only explain the random shut downs but I haven't had any of those since I downclocked the cpu from 4.5 to 4ghz.
m
l
January 6, 2012 1:00:25 AM

Okay, so now it seems to be okay, but every single time I boot it up from a complete shutdown it's extremely fidgety. Even if I let it sit for 30 minutes, the very first thing I press freezes up and things pop up sometimes before that saying "windows explorer has stopped working" stuff like that, before I've even touched anything...
I have to press ctrl alt delete thirty times before I can properly use the computer and then I need to use it for about 15 minutes before it starts functioning properly and quickly.......any ideas....at one point I thought maybe the hard drive was faulty...

EDIT: I know I repeated some things, but I haven't gotten any answers yet...
m
l
!