Quick question on Cpu and motherboard compatibility.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I have a d4999z HP computer.

It has a am2+ processor slot. I currently have a Amd 96000tm quad core running at stock speed.(2.3 ghz)

Motherboard specs and type:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01421635&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3709474&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N125

So my question is: Can I upgrade to a Phenom II 1090t x6? Will I need a Bios flash?

It says in the HP support, that it can only upgrade to:

Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology 9xxx series (AM2+) up to 9700 (up to 125 watt)
Phenom with Triple-Core (Toliman) technology 8xxx series (AM2+) up to 8xxx (up to 125 watt)
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology (AM2) up to 6400+ (up to 125 watt)

Are these just the possible am2+ upgrades or are they the only types that I can put in this PC?

I mostly just need clarification that it is possible before I dump $140 dollars into a new processor.

Solution
The Phenom X4 quad-core (Agena) is the most recent processor line supported by the NVIDIA GeForce 8200 chipset. If you already have the latest BIOS revision, it's very unlikely that HP will release a new BIOS for that motherboard which now is several years old. If you really want a Phenom II 1090T X6, then buy a new mATX motherboard, DDR3 memory and possibly a new OS if yours is tied to an HP system. Hopefully your PSU is strong enough. You can reuse the same case if the front panel connector is standard or if you know how to rewire it. Honestly I'd recommend building a new system and selling the old one if you really want to upgrade.
The Phenom X4 quad-core (Agena) is the most recent processor line supported by the NVIDIA GeForce 8200 chipset. If you already have the latest BIOS revision, it's very unlikely that HP will release a new BIOS for that motherboard which now is several years old. If you really want a Phenom II 1090T X6, then buy a new mATX motherboard, DDR3 memory and possibly a new OS if yours is tied to an HP system. Hopefully your PSU is strong enough. You can reuse the same case if the front panel connector is standard or if you know how to rewire it. Honestly I'd recommend building a new system and selling the old one if you really want to upgrade.

Solution