How to build home theater using laptop and monitor???

aliasing

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hello,

I want to build a home theater experience, but I don't want to buy cable or satellite, etc.

What I want is to simply use a laptop attached to a 46" display. I use Hulu and other standard websites (CNN) to watch TV and video, so I simply want a large display for a laptop.

But clearly, once my small laptop screen gets displayed at 46" or more, the clarity will plummet. So, I assume I need to buy a laptop with the right graphics card, processor, memory card, ports, etc.

Does anyone know what those requirements are?

As a side note, I WANT to buy a new laptop/ultrabook/tablet that is as small as possible for travel purposes. I just want to be sure I know all the system requirements that will allow me to display a high-def video (e.g. Blue-Ray) on a 46" display or larger. In other words, it must have the right graphics card, processor speed, memory, ports, Blue-Ray DVD disc drive, etc. For example, I'd like to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so I can leave the laptop next to the display but sit 6-10 ft away on the couch.

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Kris

aliasing

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Haven't bought it yet, so I'm just curious what that translation is (e.g. 1080p = 1920x1080). I guess most large flat screens today are 1080p, so at least now I know the required laptop resolution for that type of TV. :)