Help! CPU fan reading faulty to death!!!

Hello there. I have a Biostar G31 M7 TE motherboard paired with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 with its stock fan cooler. This Mobo features Smartfan control in BIOS, I turned it on, then went to Smartfan Calibration where it detected my max CPU fan speed, which was ~2700 and lowest and then gave the suggested values to set. I set them, and everything went so silky.

Today I my video card suddenly stopped working (ATI 5770) so I went to the BIOS and "reset optimal defaults" to try to get the card working. This didn't change anything, so I replaced the video card with my old one (ATI 3450).

Now, the Smartfan configuration is reset since a reset optimal defaults, so I went back to the calibration, BUT IT NO LONGER DETECTS MAX SPEEDS PROPERLY!!! It detects 1900 as the cpu fan speed which is very low! Even when I turn off Smartfan, which is supposed to make my fan run at 100% speed all the time, the speed is only ~2000! My CPU is heating up as a result! What should I do?
9 answers Last reply
More about help reading faulty death
  1. Have you checked to see if there are any updates for your motherboard? maybe its an issue that got fixed.
  2. cylemmulo said:
    Have you checked to see if there are any updates for your motherboard? maybe its an issue that got fixed.

You mean bios updates? This board is pretty old 2008-2009, and it was working smoothly! Should I BIOS update? The bios release is pretty old (2006) I never updated it...
  3. finished bios update, still the same, max fan speed is only 2200! That's killing low!!! Any help?
  4. The fan used to max out at 3100 RPM, what did happen?
  5. any help? I really don't like my new silent cpu temps :'(
  6. Can you manually set the maximum fan speed?
  7. ammyt said:
    The fan used to max out at 3100 RPM, what did happen?

The original reading could have been wrong based upon the BIOS not recognizing what was connected.

I the fan properly connected ? Have you removed and reseated the connector ? Cleaned it ? Does the rpm feedback wire look damaged in any way ? Do you have or can you get your hands on an alternate fan ?

Biostar BIOS's are generally "limited" in the way of options and I am not familiar with their layout and features.

Another option would be to use an adapter to connect the fan directly to a Molex from the PSU. This would likely require that you turn off CPU fan monitoring in the BIOS and the fan would run full speed all the time.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1089/cab-04/3-pin_to_4-pin_Adapter.html?tl=g2c38s428
  8. Jim_L9 said:
    Can you manually set the maximum fan speed?

Nope, there is no such option in the bios...
  9. JackNaylorPE said:
    The original reading could have been wrong based upon the BIOS not recognizing what was connected.

I the fan properly connected ? Have you removed and reseated the connector ? Cleaned it ? Does the rpm feedback wire look damaged in any way ? Do you have or can you get your hands on an alternate fan ?

Biostar BIOS's are generally "limited" in the way of options and I am not familiar with their layout and features.

Another option would be to use an adapter to connect the fan directly to a Molex from the PSU. This would likely require that you turn off CPU fan monitoring in the BIOS and the fan would run full speed all the time.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1089/cab-04/3-pin_to_4-pin_Adapter.html?tl=g2c38s428

It is connected properly. al 4 pins firmly inside, no signs of errors. I don't have any other cpu cooler atm unfortunately, isn't there anything that could be possibly done? I tried clearing CMOS a lot, no use!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs