Sign in with
Your question

Help! CPU fan reading faulty to death!!!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2012 11:45:11 AM

Hello there. I have a Biostar G31 M7 TE motherboard paired with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 with its stock fan cooler. This Mobo features Smartfan control in BIOS, I turned it on, then went to Smartfan Calibration where it detected my max CPU fan speed, which was ~2700 and lowest and then gave the suggested values to set. I set them, and everything went so silky.

Today I my video card suddenly stopped working (ATI 5770) so I went to the BIOS and "reset optimal defaults" to try to get the card working. This didn't change anything, so I replaced the video card with my old one (ATI 3450).

Now, the Smartfan configuration is reset since a reset optimal defaults, so I went back to the calibration, BUT IT NO LONGER DETECTS MAX SPEEDS PROPERLY!!! It detects 1900 as the cpu fan speed which is very low! Even when I turn off Smartfan, which is supposed to make my fan run at 100% speed all the time, the speed is only ~2000! My CPU is heating up as a result! What should I do?
March 29, 2012 11:57:08 AM

Have you checked to see if there are any updates for your motherboard? maybe its an issue that got fixed.
March 29, 2012 11:59:34 AM

cylemmulo said:
Have you checked to see if there are any updates for your motherboard? maybe its an issue that got fixed.

You mean bios updates? This board is pretty old 2008-2009, and it was working smoothly! Should I BIOS update? The bios release is pretty old (2006) I never updated it...
Related resources
March 29, 2012 12:31:48 PM

finished bios update, still the same, max fan speed is only 2200! That's killing low!!! Any help?
March 29, 2012 12:33:51 PM

The fan used to max out at 3100 RPM, what did happen?
March 29, 2012 1:25:07 PM

any help? I really don't like my new silent cpu temps :'( 
March 29, 2012 1:58:24 PM

Can you manually set the maximum fan speed?
a c 180 à CPUs
March 29, 2012 2:17:49 PM

ammyt said:
The fan used to max out at 3100 RPM, what did happen?

The original reading could have been wrong based upon the BIOS not recognizing what was connected.

I the fan properly connected ? Have you removed and reseated the connector ? Cleaned it ? Does the rpm feedback wire look damaged in any way ? Do you have or can you get your hands on an alternate fan ?

Biostar BIOS's are generally "limited" in the way of options and I am not familiar with their layout and features.

Another option would be to use an adapter to connect the fan directly to a Molex from the PSU. This would likely require that you turn off CPU fan monitoring in the BIOS and the fan would run full speed all the time.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1089/cab-04/3-pin_to_...
March 29, 2012 3:01:34 PM

Jim_L9 said:
Can you manually set the maximum fan speed?

Nope, there is no such option in the bios...
March 29, 2012 3:04:04 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
The original reading could have been wrong based upon the BIOS not recognizing what was connected.

I the fan properly connected ? Have you removed and reseated the connector ? Cleaned it ? Does the rpm feedback wire look damaged in any way ? Do you have or can you get your hands on an alternate fan ?

Biostar BIOS's are generally "limited" in the way of options and I am not familiar with their layout and features.

Another option would be to use an adapter to connect the fan directly to a Molex from the PSU. This would likely require that you turn off CPU fan monitoring in the BIOS and the fan would run full speed all the time.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1089/cab-04/3-pin_to_...

It is connected properly. al 4 pins firmly inside, no signs of errors. I don't have any other cpu cooler atm unfortunately, isn't there anything that could be possibly done? I tried clearing CMOS a lot, no use!
!