Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Sabertooth or ASUS Maximus V Gene?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2013 10:36:23 AM

Hi,

I've narrowed the options down to 2 on which motherboard I should get. I will be gaming, and doing some light video editing with my 3770k. I'll also be overclocking it to 4GHz. I usually also surf the web. What would be better, the ASUS Sabertooth or ASUS Maximus V Gene? Money doesn't matter. The Sabertooth was an honoree and used in one of the new cases in CES 2013, however, the V Gene didn't win any honorees and also isn't awarded from any website. And also, I'll be using the on-board motherboard sound so that's one of the reasons why it's a hard choice. Let me know what you think would be better - as said, money's not an issue.
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2013 11:15:31 AM

Id buy the Asus Sabertooth. It has great warranty and high quality parts. Also its full ATX so adding 2 graphics cards and other accessories will not be an issue.

If you want to save money, Buy the Asus P8Z77 V Pro. Its almost the same as the Sabertooth but it doesnot have that plactic shield...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 5, 2013 7:42:06 PM

Im in same boat trying to choose a motherboard , after days of reviews I am most

probably going with asus p8z77-v pro for reasons stated above

Maximus Gene is tempting as it has Rog Exchange which is great for noobs like myself ( if you don't know what that is look on Asus Rod site )
m
l
Related resources
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 5, 2013 11:26:51 PM

niether of those boards. 4ghz is not really a overclock at all. its only 100mhz faster than a i7 at stock turbo

-a maximus v gene would be wasted with your super low overclock. and the fact that it costs a ton for a matx board
-the sabertooth wouldnt be a good choice due to its pretty high price and motherboard heating thermal armour. if thermal armor really worked, id see a ton of boards with it

go grab a z77-v LK board and it would satisfy your needs. has exactly enough fan connectors and IO options. and will overclock just as well. i have one and it takes my to 4.6ghz with ease
m
l
February 7, 2013 10:47:28 PM

If I decide to go with the Sabertooth, I can take off the Thermal Armour. However, I'm looking to buy any one of these boards. Any more thoughts?
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 7, 2013 10:50:52 PM

if you take off the thermal armor, you have just got yourself a brown z77-v pro. and in other words, is usually a waste if you cant use up all the ports
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2013 9:16:54 AM

but asus charge more because of the "thermal armor"... Its not worth it.. The V PRO is the same if not better but at a lower price...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2013 9:17:19 AM

yan can also consider the Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 8, 2013 9:24:13 AM

i also wouldnt recommend the ud5h if you cant use all the features on the board
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2013 9:54:29 AM

but you do get more features at the same price as a V PRO
m
l
February 8, 2013 12:19:41 PM

Which one of my choices should I get? Would the V Gene be better?
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 8, 2013 7:20:08 PM

timarp000 said:
but you do get more features at the same price as a V PRO

assuming you can use all the features
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 8, 2013 7:20:24 PM

storm slider said:
Which one of my choices should I get? Would the V Gene be better?

its better but its completely impractical
m
l
February 9, 2013 2:35:07 AM

TheBigTroll said:
its better but its completely impractical

I'm actually gonna take a look at ASUS's Z77 regular ATX boards. The Sabertooth is ugly and a bit overpriced, while the V Gene is micro-atx also making it look bad in a mid-tower. Gonna see what else ASUS has.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2013 3:29:38 AM

if you want asus, buy the p8z77 v pro or the p8z77 v...

The only difference between the two is that the V pro has 2 usb 3 headers while the regular v has only one...
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 9, 2013 10:27:57 AM

as i said, the asus z77-v LK is probably the best choice. has exactly enough ports for all your components and still comes with the asus software
m
l
February 12, 2013 11:10:52 PM

TheBigTroll said:
as i said, the asus z77-v LK is probably the best choice. has exactly enough ports for all your components and still comes with the asus software

Hi TheBigTroll (and All),

I'm in a similar situation, narrowing down on the ASUS Z77 Motherboards for a new i7 3770K Processor, MSI GeForce 660 Ti Video Card, and a Samsung SSD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main differences that I see between 4 ASUS MOBOs I'm looking at are:

* ASUS P8Z77-V LX: $130.
- Expansion Slot: 1x PCIe 3.0
- Lacks SLI Support.
- LAN: Realtek 2 Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
- Back I/O Ports: 2 x USB 3.0, *No* eSATA 6Gb/s
- Internal I/O: 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)

* ASUS P8Z77-V LK: $140.
- Expansion Slots: 2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) *3
- Has SLI Support
- LAN: Realtek 2 Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
- Back I/O Ports: 4 x USB 3.0, *No* eSATA 6Gb/s
- Internal I/O Ports: 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)

* ASUS P8Z77-V PRO: $200.
- LAN: Intel® 82579V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
- Audio: Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound, DTS Audio Options.
- Back I/O Ports: 4 x USB 3.0, *No* eSATA 6Gb/s
- Internal I/O Ports: 4 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
- WiFi Support

* ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE: $280.
- LAN: Intel® 82579V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s), Dual Gigabit LAN controllers- 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) appliance, Intel® LAN- Dual interconnect between the Integrated LAN controller and Physical Layer (PHY).
- Audio: Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound, DTS Audio Options.
- Back I/O Ports: 1 x HDMI, 2 x eSATA 6Gb/s, 2 x LAN (RJ45) port(s), 6 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x Bluetooth V4.0 connector(s) for ASUS Wi-Fi GO! card, 1 x USB BIOS Flashback Button(s)
- Internal I/O: 4 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
- Blu-Tooth 4.0 and WiFi Support

Given that I'll be doing No (or very Minor) Overclocking, and just want to make sure I have connectors for my new SSD, which Motherboard would you recommend?

Do I really need the Back I/O Port for the eSATA 6Gb/s? (I'm guessing that's for an... external SSD?)

I'm shocked that the ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE is a whopping $280 ($150 more than the baseline LX) seemingly for a few more ports and Blu-Tooth / WiFi support (which I don't need). So is that worth it?

I don't mind spending extra if I need it for future expandability.

Right now I'm leaning towards the LK (just $10 more than the baseline LX and I get an extra PCIe 3.0 and 2 more USB 3.0 slots).

But I don't mind spending more for the PRO or DELUXE if you all recommend it.

Thanks for the help! :) 
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 12, 2013 11:15:07 PM

i dont recommend really anything over the Lk (or the gigabyte ud3h) if you cant use all the features. for the price of a Lk (109.99 after MIR), i can get 2 of them instead of one deluxe board for not much gained in the process. if you are a professional and can make use of dual network cards and all that fancy stuff, go ahead, but if you are a average user that isnt going crazy, get the LK
m
l
February 12, 2013 11:19:06 PM

TheBigTroll said:
i dont recommend really anything over the Lk (or the gigabyte ud3h) if you cant use all the features. for the price of a Lk (109.99 after MIR), i can get 2 of them instead of one deluxe board for not much gained in the process. if you are a professional and can make use of dual network cards and all that fancy stuff, go ahead, but if you are a average user that isnt going crazy, get the LK

Hi TheBigTroll,

Thanks for the fast reply! Much appreciated! :) 

OK, the LK looks like the best cost-effective Motherboard! :) 

If I may ask, what is the eSATA 6Gb/s connector for? (only on the DELUXE) Is it basically for an External SSD or similar type device?
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 12, 2013 11:23:30 PM

its basically sata but on the outside of your case. for people who lug a hard drive around rather than a usb
m
l
February 12, 2013 11:28:26 PM

TheBigTroll said:
its basically sata but on the outside of your case. for people who lug a hard drive around rather than a usb

Cool. Thanks again for the help!

On a side note, since I'll be doing No Overclocking (or very little at most), do I need to buy any additional Cooling for this LK Motherboard or for the CPU? Outside of the standard fans? (I'll be getting an Intel Core i7 3770K and an MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti)

Thanks!
m
l
!