Can anyone check over my gaming computer build?

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Just get a Corsair TX series, or a BeQuiet System Power.
And games rarly use more than 4GB of ram, just get 8GB (2x4GB)

Other than that I would rate it like a 7. Only thing that would make it better would be a better gpu, but a 560ti is already a very good card.

And yeah anything faster than a 2500k is a waste of money. I own one and OCed it to 4.5ghz with a 30 buck air cooler, so thats also an opion.

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
you're spending way too much on a case. only high-end full tower cases are worth more than a hundred dollars, and i would only trust two brands with a case: antec and cooler master. this antec 300 is priced much better and is probably better quality than that NZXT. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129065

also, avoid the hitachi HDD. the only companies i trust for HDD's are seagate and western digital. for SSD's, OCZ is pretty good. a western digital caviar black 1 tb 7200 rpm will do you fine.

as for your CPU, it's pretty good. if you don't want to overclock, then don't get one of the k editions; however, if you are going to overclock, the 2500k is the best bet for a pure gaming machine. if you're doing multi-threaded applications like video rendering, a 2600k would be worth the extra money.

if you plan to overclock, get a better board. for your current cpu, the board you have picked out is fine. but for overclocking, i dont know intel boards too well but usually spending 150-200 $$ is a good bet.

for your PSU, don't use it. corsair PSU's are pretty good and you only need like 650 watts or so. maybe 750.

as for your graphics card, that's fine. although to make yourself futureproof i would bump up to a 570 or a 580. honestly, the amd radeon 6970 performs just as well as the gtx 580 and the 2gb version costs less than the gtx 580 3gb.

you were on the right track. i think with the addition of the psu and better gpu you might be spending like 150-200 more dollars but it will be worth it.

madchemist83

Distinguished
That's biggest bunch of horse crap I've heard. That nzxt case is awesome.
You only trust antec and cm cases then ur fool. Fractal design has best mid tower case. Also samsung hdd is better then wd or seagate. And I'm pretty sure op won't go for 570 and 580.

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

samsung HDD is not better than western digital or seagate. my dad runs a PC consulting business, works a lot with building PCs (builds and puts into the workforce about 5 pc's a month) and networking for clients. he has bought only WD and seagate for the past few months because whenever he put a samsung out in a machine it would either fail or run slowly. WD's and Seagates run fine. i use a WD for my programs and games and a seagate to record PC gameplay to (which is an extremely strenuous task) and it works beautifully.

as for the cases, i'm not saying the NZXT is crap. i'm saying he is paying too much for a case, and when i buy a case, i prefer only antec and cm because you can look up reviews from pros and from customers, and 99% of the time those two companies have the best durability and airflow for cases, which are the two most important things. one reviewer even said that at a fragapalooza he went to, over 30% of the cases he saw were antecs. obviously, the company is doing something right.

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
well 4 samsung HD's crapping out over the course of 3 months doesn't qualify as "every hard drive can have problems". and don't worry, he doesn't need your money as he has 12 clients already, with working PC's since we've been using WD and seagate hard drives. and between those two case manufacturers i have several options and if in ten years some other company is better and popular opinion + reviewer analysis prove it i could change my mind.

in any case, stephan has both of our suggestions. whichever he may choose is his decision.