Solved

Bday present

Approximate Purchase Date: this weekend

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) 800 to 1000 max

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming and surfing internet.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor 21in (I am thinking about getting a larger one), speakers, OS (windows 7 ultimate)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: new egg or fry's

Country: US

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Open mostly gaming computer

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution:

Additional Comments: This is a birthday present to me. The games I play are not that intensive eg starcraft, hommv and dragon age.
I having been lurking and reading and this is what I have come up with. Still out on which case to buy looking for one which will make build easy and lights ( I like flashy lights). So with that being said any and all advise is welcomed.


LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support
Item #: N82E16827106335
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$22.99

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148767
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$84.99

SAPPHIRE FleX 100314FLEX Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with ...
Item #: N82E16814102924
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
$184.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
$79.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
$39.99

•GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128507
•Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ...
Item #: N82E16819115074

$366.00 combo

Total $779.93
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bday present
  1. Get the i5-2500K and a CPU cooler
  2. First, I would like to say Happy birthday! and second, if you wish to go cheaper, you can check out this $600 build suggestion here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html
    Also, it seems you're missing a computer case...I would suggest this $40 case if you want to go cheap:
    http://www.amazon.com/GAMMA-Classic-Interior-Chassis-Black/dp/B002UDK9U6
    or this $50 one that is a little bit more expensive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Cooler+Master-_-11119233
  3. Best answer
    650W PSU is overkill if you are using only a single 6870. I'd drop down to a 500W. Hdds are expensive right now because of the flood. Do you have an old one you can limp along on until prices return to normal? If your budget range is <$1000, do yourself the favor and get the 2500k. See if it's in a combo as well.

    Other then that looks good once you get a case...
  4. r0aringdrag0n said:
    First, I would like to say Happy birthday! and second, if you wish to go cheaper, you can check out this $600 build suggestion here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html
    Also, it seems you're missing a computer case...I would suggest this $40 case if you want to go cheap:
    http://www.amazon.com/GAMMA-Classic-Interior-Chassis-Black/dp/B002UDK9U6
    or this $50 one that is a little bit more expensive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Cooler+Master-_-11119233



    Thank you. My friend is buying my a case for my bday. (I hope it is the one I saw at Fry's he won't tell me).
  5. gooseta said:
    Get the i5-2500K and a CPU cooler


    I was not going to OC, but you are saying I will still need a CPU cooler outside of what comes with the CPU.
  6. 4745454b said:
    650W PSU is overkill if you are using only a single 6870. I'd drop down to a 500W. Hdds are expensive right now because of the flood. Do you have an old one you can limp along on until prices return to normal? If your budget range is <$1000, do yourself the favor and get the 2500k. See if it's in a combo as well.

    Other then that looks good once you get a case...


    My old hdd died a very ugly death. Thank you for telling me about the PSU was not sure how much needed. Will try to find combo w/ 25k.
  7. newbie2011 said:
    I was not going to OC, but you are saying I will still need a CPU cooler outside of what comes with the CPU.


    yuhp
  8. Okay I retooled it with suggestion in mind. I found a combo w/ 6850 which is probably more than enough for the games I tend to play.

    HIS H685FN1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    Item #: N82E16814161384
    Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
    Item #: N82E16820233144
    Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

    -$10.00 Instant
    -$9.00 Combo
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

    $177.98



    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    $144.98



    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
    MSI P67A-C43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard


    $344.98

    Total: 637.48
  9. + COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
    Item #: N82E16835103065
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

    29.04

    Total 666.98

    I think I have everything. :(
  10. i think you're fine with these components. but what about games you buy 6 months to a year from now? wouldn't you want a newer graphics card? at least a more powerful one? the 6970 would add like 200 to your overall price, but it would only be about 50 dollars outside your range. it would make your PC more futureproof.
  11. Not a lot of people go for the P67s. You might want to keep looking for a z68, though to be honest I'm not sure of the difference.
  12. Depends on the games you play Paradox. I get by just fine with a 5750. (I now own Oblivion, GTA4, and Blur so I might need an upgrade.) Remember that the longer you wait, the cheaper and better performing everything will be. Might be wise to buy a 6850 now, and wait for the 7series and Kepler to roll out. Unless he already knows the 6850 won't be enough.
  13. Best answer selected by newbie2011.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product