Possible bottleneck

ScoutSGM

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I've just built a new machine and some of the components are older. Im just wondering if there are going to be any bottlenecks in the system (maybe graphics)

Here is the build

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
Thermaltake MK-1 Case
Thermaltake 850w Black Widow power supply
Asus P5n32-2 sli plus (older)
Kingston Hyper X DDR2 PC8500 @400mhz
Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66mhz (Stock)
1TB Seagate SATA HD
500GB Seagate Hybid (System)
300GB Seagate SATA HD

Solution
If your gaming experience is satisfactory, then stay with what you've got right now. Just realize where your bottleneck is and know the components you'll need to replace to open that bottleneck. When Ivy Bridge hits the street you could see some good drops on Sandy Bridge as they clear stock...might be a good time to upgrade.

ScoutSGM

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Sorry guys. Its been a while since I posted for help. Im in the Army and have been gone on and off for quite a few years. I know some of the parts are older but they are new to me, if you know what I mean. I have it up and running ... not really sure how to test it and get the full potential out of it. I do think that going from a duo core to a decent core 2 quad would improve it, but Im not sure. I'm Hoping some of you experts out there can help me out.

Here is the final build - up and running - playing some simple stuff - havent started to push on it.

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
Thermaltake MK-1 Case
Thermaltake 850w Black Widow power supply
Asus P5n32-e sli plus (Nvidia 680i chipset) (lastes Bios 1502)
Kingston Hyper X (blue) DDR2 PC8500 @400mhz (5.5.5.15 2T)
Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66mhz (Stock) oc's to 2.94 @ 35'C Idle.With 100% Load on both cores they get in the mid to high 50s
-- Overclocked with the built in AI Overclocker in the BIOS. If offers 5,10,15,20% overclock. Currently 10%. I had it a 15% and CPU idle was 43-45C. Not sure how to to vlotages and such. This board has a zillion options in the BIOS. Has to types of intergrated overcloking - AI and N.O.S.. I tried the N.O.S. and it really showed no gain in CPUIZ and Asus PC Probe II. Not sure ???
Games Im playing
SWTOR (MAXED - Looks VERY NICE) (CODMW3 MAXED, MASS EFFECT 3 MAXED (choppy here and there), Insane 2 maxed (very nice looking but gets it the hottest -65c)
2 X EVGA 560 ti SC (Factory Superclocked) in SLI (Right now 1 is in the 8 X white slot and the other is in 16 X blue slot
-- waiting for the longer SLI bridge cable to arrive so I can go 16x 16X
-- the cards look about half maxed on all three of these games (I have 3 x ASUS VH222H and monitor all specs while playing)
-- I do notice that both cores on the CPU stay full load the majority of the time on all the gaming (85-100% - probably the problem)
2 x 500GB Seagate Momentum X Hybrid Sata 3 in RAID 0 (1TB - SYSTEM)
1TB Seagate SATA 3 HD (Storage)
320BG Seagate SATA 3 HD (Storage)
1 x 500GB USB/SATA 3 Quick-Load for Back-up of the important things in life! ... the music, the pics, ect.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
I too think you will see an improvement by swapping the C2D for a C2Q. I had a similar system a few years back; Asus P5n-e sli board, Q9550 C2Q, and 2 GTX 460s @ x8 x8. The 2 cards in sli will need the benefit of more processing power. But an x8 PCIe slot won't be any drag on performance. From what I've read, most mid-range cards don't saturate even 8 lanes of the PCIe buss.

And, most importantly, thank you for your service.

Thank you for your service!

CPU is definitely the biggest bottleneck. Upgrading and sticking with LGA775 will be the hardest part...I haven't seen a lot of those parts out there recently. That could be because I haven't been looking for them intensely....your best bet for a good deal may be Ebay.

If it's going to cost you over $100, then I would consider moving up to a Sandy Bridge CPU. That would require upgrading mobo, memory, and CPU. Put some of that saved up tax-free money to work for you! It can be done relatively cheaply:
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157252
CPU (i3 2120): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148477
Total: $275.97

Or if you're interested in OCing in the future you can go for the i5 2500K (K means the multiplier is unlocked) but it costs about $100 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

If your gaming experience is satisfactory, then stay with what you've got right now. Just realize where your bottleneck is and know the components you'll need to replace to open that bottleneck. When Ivy Bridge hits the street you could see some good drops on Sandy Bridge as they clear stock...might be a good time to upgrade.

Solution