Biostar TH67 + problems.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I use this mobo in my home server. I decided to upgrade from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 8 (using an older but idled Windows XP license to upgrade) and ran into problems: The Windows 8 upgrade just wouldn't take. I tried some work arounds, and, after some frustration decided to restore the WHS 2011 installation before retrying to upgrade with Win 8.

During the restore OS process (I set it up and juist let it run) at some point the computer crashed. I don't know exactly where as I let the restore process run ovenight.

OK, I've dealt with this sort of thing before: so I reboot with the intent to check the BIOS and restart the restore. Here's where the problem arises: NO POST SCREEN for the BIOS. Nothing, nada, zip zilch, less than zero, B(lack)SOD.

OK, so I pull out the various components: CPU (i3 2105), RAM PSU, etc. and all test OK. So its down to the mobo. Problem with this mobo is the on board diagnostics are virtually nil.

The mobo powers up and runs the fans but no video. I am using rhe native GPU on the i3 2105 (FYI).

Other than an RMA can anone make any suggestions about further diagnostics.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
"No, you can't just upgrade. There is no upgrade path from any server os to a client OS, or vice-versa. You don't need to install XP though, you could just install Windows 8 overtop it... just make sure nothing important is on the system drive. "
Reference - http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/25997-upgrade-from-whs-2011-to-windows-8/