100C constantly without Thermal Paste

loxpox

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hi, I have a problem.
My CPU is way to hot. 80C in idle, and over 100C in load. This
means that I cannot play any games. Because the computer shuts itself
down at that temp.

I tried to remove the paste and the temperature went up to a constant 100C in idle. A few seconds later, well, it shuts down. I haven't even overclocked it yet.

So my first question, is it something very wrong with my CPU?
My system:
Intel i7 960 - CPU
GA-X58A-UD5 - Motherboard
GF 8800GT
12 Gb Ram (1600mhz)

First of all if you are using the stock HSF (heatsink/fan) most likely it isnt seated well. Here is a simple trick if you can reach in and pull any of the twist clips straight up than they aren't locked in place and you don't have good contact to for removing the heat.

With the Intel® Core™ i7-960 and the stock HSF I would expect that your temperatures would be around 40C if it was seated well. With a cooler like the Cooler Master hyper 212+ you would see temperatures in the mid to low 30's. With a cooler like the Notua NH-D14 you could see temperatures in the mid to high 20's. The big thing is to get your temperatures down to a reasonable level before you try to use it any more.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
when it happend did you put on thermal paste yourself?

too much thermal paste is just as bad as not enough.

instead of passing the heat through to the heatsink then cooler it will act like an insulator and make it hotter

loxpox

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Sorry, been away a few hours..
The stock fan was a bit tricky, it didn't instantly click in. I checked it several times until the fan was quite hard attached. Then I said to myself, it's good. Maybe it is as you said.. Too loose.

I must ask, the Cooler Master hyper 212+. Is that the same as 212 Evo?
Around 30 C sounds good for me. The price is almost the half of the Noctua DH 14 if I buy the 212'. Or was the 212 just the absolutely the worst you compared with the best DH14, heh?

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
on the 212+ the copper heats pipes are closer together and there's barely a gap between the pipes as it seem its been filed down to a smooth surface. On my i5 2400 it idles between 20-30c, I have even recorded a lowest temperature of 12c! that was in winter though and my room was about -5c.

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
The old 212 model has large gaps between the heat pipes and allot of thermal paste seems to get trapped inside so requires you to use extra paste to fill the gaps, it also means the surface area in contact with the CPU is smaller.

Sorry I did it in 2 parts I just thought this would give a bit more insight into the differences between the two.

loxpox

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Thank you..
That sounds good, evo is actually the only one left in a store not far away. And I don't have much time to spend on a 80C temperature before it goes. What do you say, a Arctic silver 5 paste with that?

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Well I used the coolermaster paste that came with the cooler and it seems ok. I'm not actually that experience to be honest, I just did allot of research into the parts I was getting for my build and the CM hyper 212+ had amazing reviews saying it had the same if not better performance of coolers double the price

Yea the Cooler Master Hyper 212 +/Evo are basically the same cooler and they work very well for the price. The only thing you really need to be mindful of with them is that the fan sits over the first memory slot so you have to be careful on the memory that you select or you are going to hit the bottom of the fan. The fan sits almost 1.8" over the board and some memory like the Corsair Vengeance can stand almost 2".

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

loxpox

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I got the fan and Ac silver 5, now its 45c in idle, and about 68c in load.
I think this one was really good. But maybe it can go even lower than this.
And if Im going to overclock it, the temp would rise about 5-6c for every new 0.2 ghz.

Yes, the whole thing was big but not so big that it touches the memory, it fits nicely.Instead im not sure
if it touches the cpu correctly. The cpu plate holder is a bit higher than the cpu which means the cooler may not reach down to touch the cpu. I'm going to recheck this tomorrow.

cmi86

Distinguished

Hello, this is somewhat aside from the OP but I was curious to ask is overheating quite common in the "i" line of CPU's from intel ?
I see at least 3-5 new posts every single day on here about peoples i5/i7's getting so hot they almost burst into flames. To your knowledge are the majority of theses issues architecturally related to the CPU or is it more of an intel not providing a sufficient stock cooler/ improper installation ?

What paste did u use to install?

Brand and how much?