Sign in with
Your question

System Crashed - 'Disk Boot Failure' but HDD boots in defferent PC

Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2013 1:40:45 PM

My PC crashed then would not boot, sending no signal to the monitor event though all fans, lights, hdd etc appears to start running normally.

So I removed all but one stick of RAM, inserted an older gfx card and got it to send a signal to the monitor but it displays the following message - 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'.

I then removed that HDD and replaced it with an older one, but it still displays the same message.

Next I took the original HDD to a different and fully working PC, and lo and behold the PC booted into Windows (Safe Mode). So I have managed to recover my data!

Anyone have ideas as to what may have happened - could it be a motherboard problem, in that the GTX8800 and the HDD are not being recognised?

I also took the GTX8800 card to a different PC but it would not post, though the PSU may be underpowered, but not altogether certain.

Anyone had a similar experience, or could shed any light on this? Need to figure out what exactly I need to replace, if anything, before spending the cash!

I have spent hours trawling forums and seeing many similar threads, but nothing that quite matches my case (specifically the HDD working inside a different PC).

Thanks in advance!

Spec as follows:

Windows 7
Intel Dual Core CPU
Asus P5n32-e sli
Geforce 8800GTX
8GB RAM
500 GB Samsung HDD
February 5, 2013 1:51:15 PM

Sounds Like your motherboard SATA controller is dead. The fact the video card isn't working too sounds like you took a power surge. Try using a different SATA port. If not, you might be able to get it to work with a cheap PCIe SATA card.

February 5, 2013 1:56:51 PM

Thanks for the reply spike. I'll give that a test and see what happens.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2013 2:00:03 PM

PSU
!