Sign in with
Your question

WIndows 8 and ultra fast boot

Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2013 2:25:24 PM

I have just upgraded to windows 8 and im trying to get the ultra fast boot to work but having problems with it on my z77 Pro4m motherboard.

I have a crucial M4 SSD drive connected to Sata 0 and my storage drive connected to Sata 3. The option is there in the bios with 3 caveats of needing windows 8, only being able to access the bios through a windows app (i have installed), and a driver is needed for discrete graphics cards.

I meet all the criteria and am using the onboard graphics of my 2500k.

I can enable fast boot and windows loads, the boot process is:

asrock logo comes up with press F2, F6, F11 etc.. various options
list of sata and pcie connections
asrock logo comes back up
windows loads.

Im sure the logo should only come up once but windows loads at least.

When i enable ultra fast boot it hangs for a minute then goes to the bios. I have to turn off ultra fast boot but the boot priorities are missing so i save and exit, and then go back in to the bios and save again.

am i missing something obvious in getting this to work?

my pc specs in case they are needed are:

cpu - 2500k
mobo - AS Rock Pro4m
GPU - onboard HD3000
PSU - Seasonic X660
RAM - 2* 4GB GSkill 1600MHz
Boot drive - Crucial M4 128GB
other Drive - WD green 2TB
Sound card - creative xfi fatality
DVDRW - Samsung
March 1, 2013 10:17:03 PM

preacher666 said:
I have just upgraded to windows 8 and im trying to get the ultra fast boot to work but having problems with it on my z77 Pro4m motherboard.

I have a crucial M4 SSD drive connected to Sata 0 and my storage drive connected to Sata 3. The option is there in the bios with 3 caveats of needing windows 8, only being able to access the bios through a windows app (i have installed), and a driver is needed for discrete graphics cards.

I meet all the criteria and am using the onboard graphics of my 2500k.

I can enable fast boot and windows loads, the boot process is:

asrock logo comes up with press F2, F6, F11 etc.. various options
list of sata and pcie connections
asrock logo comes back up
windows loads.

Im sure the logo should only come up once but windows loads at least.

When i enable ultra fast boot it hangs for a minute then goes to the bios. I have to turn off ultra fast boot but the boot priorities are missing so i save and exit, and then go back in to the bios and save again.

am i missing something obvious in getting this to work?

my pc specs in case they are needed are:

cpu - 2500k
mobo - AS Rock Pro4m
GPU - onboard HD3000
PSU - Seasonic X660
RAM - 2* 4GB GSkill 1600MHz
Boot drive - Crucial M4 128GB
other Drive - WD green 2TB
Sound card - creative xfi fatality
DVDRW - Samsung

I'm having the same exact problem with my Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. It boots normally with "Fast", but if I change to "Ultra Fast" it keeps sending me straight back to UEFI after boot. And then if I try to hit F11 and boot from USB, it says "No boot device detected". I'm also using integrated graphics from my i5 3570k.

Have you been able to resolve this?
March 2, 2013 5:33:44 AM

check that boot priority of ssd is set to first if not set it to first hopes that it solve your problem if not tell me
Related resources
March 2, 2013 1:38:23 PM

sadique59 said:
check that boot priority of ssd is set to first if not set it to first hopes that it solve your problem if not tell me

No, I can't even SEE the boot priorities after I try to boot in "Ultra Fast", all of them are missing. Before I change from "Fast" to "Ultra Fast" though, my SSD is set to first.
March 20, 2013 4:13:51 AM

I think you forgot this requirement from the asrock site:

- OS Windows 8 is installed on GPT format.

March 20, 2013 3:38:10 PM

Arjen421 said:
I think you forgot this requirement from the asrock site:

- OS Windows 8 is installed on GPT format.

How do I do that when I install from my USB key?

Does the USB key need to be formatted, or is that something I do to the partition? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I just have a really basic understanding of all this.
March 21, 2013 3:36:09 AM

The easiest way is to connect the hdd to another pc -> go to disk manager and delete the volume. Then right click the drive en convert to GPT. You will of course loose all the data that is on the drive and have to reinstall windows. I dont know if there is a way to keep data when converting a drive to GPT

It can also be done while installing windows with diskpart in cmd but im no expert on that.
March 21, 2013 7:59:45 AM

Arjen421 said:
The easiest way is to connect the hdd to another pc -> go to disk manager and delete the volume. Then right click the drive en convert to GPT. You will of course loose all the data that is on the drive and have to reinstall windows. I dont know if there is a way to keep data when converting a drive to GPT

It can also be done while installing windows with diskpart in cmd but im no expert on that.

Ok, when I right click and choose Format, the only options for file system are NTFS, FAT32, or exFAT. Is one of those the same as GPT? I don't see an explicit GPT format option.
March 21, 2013 11:03:33 AM

You are clicking in the wrong place

Right click the tile that says:

Disk 1(or whatever your disk is)
Basic
Size

For filesystem just use ntfs
!