HD Radeon 6850 install Display stopped working .. Please Help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pghboy99

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Hi everyone, I am in a panic mode right now . I built a system two weeks ago and everything was running fine until I decided I wanted to exchange my video card.

I exchanged the Sapphire HD 6770 with Sapphire HD 6850. I installed it tonight, and after install I am getting "Display Driver stopped working, but Windows has recovered...etc"

Does anyone know where i go from here and how I trouble shoot this problem? Is the Video card faulty?

I have uninstalled the Catalyst from my previous card and reinstalled it from the new DVD that came with the 6850. But every I restart, Win 7 , the screen gets pixalated and I get the message I mentioned earlier.

Here is my system
motherboard: Asus m5A99x
RAM G skill 8 GB
HD: 500GB WD
CPU: P II X6 1055T.
PPS: Antec EA-650 Earthwayys 650 Watts

Please help me as I am not sure what to do. Thank you so much!!

Solution
Download a Utility program called Driver sweeper. Uninstall the drivers, run driver sweeper, and delete all files and folders with CCC programs and install files.
Reseat the card properly, boot into bios and let the system feel the card.
Then boot into windows mode. Download the latest Drivers for the card, that means the latest CCC module, do not go the Beta ones or the previews.
Install the CCC and let it settle in.
Check for errors and report back to us.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

oh snap im having the exact same issue i had a 5670 512 and exchanged it with my a 5670 1gb. now im getting pixalted errors when i get to windows 7 start up can anyone explain why? i continue to get the message "Display Driver stopped working" how do i uninstall AMD drivers. maybe i just have redownload drivers.

Download a Utility program called Driver sweeper. Uninstall the drivers, run driver sweeper, and delete all files and folders with CCC programs and install files.
Reseat the card properly, boot into bios and let the system feel the card.
Then boot into windows mode. Download the latest Drivers for the card, that means the latest CCC module, do not go the Beta ones or the previews.
Install the CCC and let it settle in.
Check for errors and report back to us.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Solution

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
Click the Services tab.
Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
Click Disable All, and then click OK.
When you are prompted, click Restart.

Test it again

Pghboy99

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Thanks alyoshka, I will try your method and report back here....I just wanted to mention that the system worked for a half hour prior to the problem. Th problem started when I restarted the machine and right then I got the blue screen. When I restarted afraid I went into safe mode just in case....

In any case, I will try what you suggested and report back. I hope it is not the PSU.

Thanks again for the help.

Pghboy99

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Just to confirm, I delete all drivers called "CCC" with driver sweeper, then take the video card out, and install it again. Then start the machine and go into Bios, right?

Should I install the latest drivers from the CD that came with the GPU, or download from Amd web site?MD
not sure what you mean by Beta drivers? are those on the CD that came with the GPU?

Thanks, I just want to get this right the first time.

Pghboy99

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Ok, got it. So delete all ATI drivers. How would I know to delete these CCC's, would it be obvious or deleting all ATI drivers/folders would be sufficient?

One more question, where do I install the new drivers for the GPU, from the CD or from AMD web site?

thanks again, really appreciate this. My tech level is average, so please bear with me.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
^^ newer use the cd that comes with card, unless you in middle of north pole and got no Internet :)

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I had problem with CCC when i installed latest drivers few weeks ago.
The problem was that driver installer could not delete old ati folder
C:\Program Files\ATI
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies
*(C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI
*(C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies if you have 64bit windows as well)
the files wore locked by the windows and i was unable to delete them.
Thou i was able to rename them.
so
Uninstall Ati drivers
delete or rename the folders
install again
(delete renamed folders)

Pghboy99

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Ok, I will perform the steps you guys have described and report back tonight. I am @ work at the moment.
I downloaded the CCC from the AMD website last night, and finally got it to install properly.

Just a dumb question, does installing the Catalyst (CCC) supposed to automatically install the latest drivers?

thank you again. I will give you my findings this evening.

Pghboy99

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Well, I got the 6850 to work properly with Win 7. The weird part is that Win 7 didn't like the newest drivers from the "CatalystCC" which I downloaded from AMD support site (as you recommended).
I went into Safe mode and uninstalled the 6850 drivers, then uninstalled 'AMD Catalyst' from Add/Remove Programs. It was still showing in Add/Rem Programs. Restarted Win 7 and installed the new "CCC" and it failed.

2nd Try:
The second time I enabled to see 'hidden files' in the Control panel and then uninstalled the 6850 drivers again. Uninstalled the AMD Catalyst and restarted the machine. BUT this time I took your advise and went into the BIOS. In there, I just checked everything was ok, and started Win 7.
As soon as I restarted Win 7, it automatically installed the drivers for the 6850... It ended up installing Driver ver 8.850.0.0 from 4/19/2011. I was shocked and happy at the same time :)
So, I didn't need to install the latest "CCC". In fact, I don't have the Catalyst installed on my machine and I don't see it in Add/remove Programs.

All is working well now... but one LAST question, is it OK to not install the Catalyst Control Center? I am afraid I will run into issues if I do.

I even went into Device manager>Display Adapters> right clicked "AMD Radeon HD 6800 series">Properties> Update driver. a dialog pops up saying "The best driver software for your device is already installed"

Sorry for the long mail, but just wanted to explain what steps I took to get the drives to install properly.

No problem, even if you don't install CCC. It's pretty ok since it's a bundle of all the modules and customizations for the Radeon Cards. Which, can be done with quite a few other smaller programs too.
If you don't need anything in the CCC , then you don't need to install it. It will not have a negative effect on the rig, quit the contrary actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS