Sign in with
Your question

What's the best way to go about upgrading a store bought rig?

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2012 6:29:32 PM

Hey, I bought an HP elite desktop from best buy a year or two ago. It has incredible performance, but the video card seems to be the bottleneck. I only have a 350 watt psu. So my question is, what's the most work and cost efficient way to upgrade the video card and power supply? I heard from a friend that I should just buy a new case with motherboard and psu already installed, but I can't find anywhere that sells that. Can someone help me out?

PS: The reason I'm doing this is so I can have either three 32 inch monitors or six 20 inches. Help a nerd out!
March 29, 2012 9:28:21 PM

Bump. Fifty views and no replies?
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 12:43:05 PM

Zack_074 said:
Hey, I bought an HP elite desktop from best buy a year or two ago. It has incredible performance, but the video card seems to be the bottleneck. I only have a 350 watt psu. So my question is, what's the most work and cost efficient way to upgrade the video card and power supply? I heard from a friend that I should just buy a new case with motherboard and psu already installed, but I can't find anywhere that sells that. Can someone help me out?

PS: The reason I'm doing this is so I can have either three 32 inch monitors or six 20 inches. Help a nerd out!

What are your complete system specs? What GPU(s) do you plan on upgrading to? SLI/CF? What resolution will you be gaming at?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 30, 2012 2:52:46 PM

For those number of displays I would have definitely built a computer rather than buy one.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2012 10:56:48 PM

First you need to see if your motherbd can even support multiple gpu's and if it can and If your case is full size, cant look it up since you didnt specify a model #, then throw in a huge supply and add your gpu's.
m
l
March 31, 2012 12:04:17 AM

Sorry for delayed response. I probably should have specified, but I want to replace my current gpu, not add another one. My computer is the Elite HPE-410y from HP. I currently have the radeon 5570, but my overall goal is to run battlefield 3 across three monitors. Whatever can do that, at the cheapest is most likely what I'm going to get.
m
l
!