Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Not sure whats up??

Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2013 4:40:48 PM

Hello everyone,

I am having the worst luck here lately with my personal build. Here are the specs to start off.

MSI- 970A-G46 Motherboard
AMD FX-6100
Aftermarket CPU cooler nothing fancy
2x4GB GSkill DDR3 1600
XFX HD7850 2GB
2x 500GB Seagate HDD
LiteOn DVD burner
Antec 1000 watt PSU
5 case fans of various sizes and speeds

Had windows 7 64 bit running fine for months on a 650 watt psu and just recently upgraded to the 1000watt and a new case.
After migrating to the new case and psu, windows started fine. but the next day i turned it on it was about 25% slower on start up. next day 25% slower than the day before. Now windows will not load at all. I've tried two different hdd that i know work still no go.

Now here is what i really don't understand, One start up will post and start to load win7 then the pc will stop and reset and then no post no beeps.... nothing but fans spinning as normal and cpu phase lights working as normal.

When everything was working fine and i started up the pc, a few numbers and letters( B4, A9, 99...ect) would flash in the bottom right screen during post right before the MSI splash screen. now on start up with no post and just the number and letter B4 at the bottom right and a blinking cursor at the top..

I tried re-installing windows but it locks up and does the same restart and freeze thing

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

More about : whats

a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2013 4:52:56 PM

does it act the same when it's NOT in the new case?
m
l
February 5, 2013 4:57:43 PM

dingo07 said:
does it act the same when it's NOT in the new case?

Haven't had the time to take it out yet as i have just made it look so neat with the cables hidden. I was hoping to not take it out because it worked fine in the case for a few days and gradually got this bad.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 5, 2013 5:02:24 PM

The standard operating procedure here is to try remove/replace components one by one until you get a stable startup.

I would start by taking everything apart and putting it back together very carefully. Make sure you install your motherboard standoffs correctly so that the components aren't touching the case.

Assuming you still have the problem, try it with your 650W power supply to make sure it's not an issue with your new PSU.

Just try to get into BIOS/setup.
February 5, 2013 5:06:15 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
The standard operating procedure here is to try remove/replace components one by one until you get a stable startup.

I would start by taking everything apart and putting it back together very carefully. Make sure you install your motherboard standoffs correctly so that the components aren't touching the case.

Assuming you still have the problem, try it with your 650W power supply to make sure it's not an issue with your new PSU.

I turned it on and let it sit for a bit and after about 10 mins it posts and loads into the bios. I am now at the windows loading screen where i have been for and additional 10 mins. I will try the break down and reassembly with the older psu soon.
m
l
February 6, 2013 12:13:24 PM

eightdrunkengods said:

I took out the motherboard and tested is with both the 650 psu and the new 1000 watt psu and it works just fine out of the case. so i am under the assumption
there is a grounding issue somewhere in the case.

What do you all think?
m
l
February 6, 2013 3:17:31 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
Yeah, it's almost definitely a grounding issue then.

Are you using your the motherboard standoff screws? They look like this:
http://biorobots.cwru.edu/server/howto/buildcomp/mountm...

What case do you have?

I so have the brass screw risers installed and i am using the Antec 900 case with the big fan on the top.

But i am almost definitely sure I have pin pointed the problem. I kept adding different components each time i started up and every time it was working fine until.....

i hooked up the very last usb header to my card reader then it froze at post just like before. I then installed the mobo in the case and hooked everyhing back up except the card reader and so far it works flawlessly.

m
l
February 6, 2013 3:48:31 PM

Nice! Probably a bad Mobo header. Possibly a bad card reader.

This is kind of a long shot: Did you check how your IRQs are set up? It might be an IRQ conflict with another device. I sort of doubt it because you don't have that may devices installed. If you're able to reassign them, try to figure out if that USB header is on the same IRQ as another slot/header that you are using. If you need more IRQs, you can take them from your unused PCIe x1 slots.

If I had to guess, I'd say your header is bad.
m
l
February 6, 2013 3:59:10 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
Nice! Probably a bad Mobo header. Possibly a bad card reader.

This is kind of a long shot: Did you check how your IRQs are set up? It might be an IRQ conflict with another device. I sort of doubt it because you don't have that may devices installed. If you're able to reassign them, try to figure out if that USB header is on the same IRQ as another slot/header that you are using. If you need more IRQs, you can take them from your unused PCIe x1 slots.

If I had to guess, I'd say your header is bad.

I was thinking the same thing but i plugged my front panel usb ports in that header and it worked fine so i swapped out the card reader witb another i had laying around and its fine. So must be a faulty reader i guess.
m
l
February 6, 2013 5:00:44 PM

Oh, that's the best outcome, really. It's much more convenient to RMA the card reader than to RMA the motherboard.

I would have expected a faulty reader to simply not work (as opposed to causing boot failures). Maybe there's a short in it or something.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 7:18:39 PM

Usually when you swap out a component, the bios (manager) wants to check it out so it loads at startup so that you can check the PC health and other options however just a SAVE and Exit is all that is needed.

You might want to consider what else is on your powerboard perhaps a heater or air conditioner, printer, TV, amplifier etc as it might be that the 1000 watt PSU is not drawing its start up power. A PSU draws the total amount of watts at boot up so as to fill the capacitors to which then dispenses and allocates power to chardware. It only lasts about a second so make sure your powerboard is not overloaded. The psu will not use its maxcimum power it is not required.
m
l
February 13, 2013 11:23:48 AM

Best answer selected by kreatos.
m
l
!