Sign in with
Your question

New case for new gaming rig

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2012 6:34:37 PM

Hey.

I'm planning to build a Z77/GTX680 gaming computer and for that i need a new case :) 
It's gonna be an air cooled rig, but i would like the option to do some water cooling if i run into more time in the near future.

I've been looking at these:

Cooler Master HAF X
Cons
No filters
Very small CPU cutout

Cooler Master Storm Trooper
+ sidepanel with window (+ $19)
Cons
Weird HDD/SSD cages. To be explained.

What is important
It's has to be windowed :) 
Good airflow/cooling
USB 3.0 in front
"Sideways" mounted HDD/SSD
Removable/cleanable filters

My problem with the Storm Troopers HDD/SDD cages is that i would like to have sideways mounted HDDs/SSDs AND front intake, which as far as i know is not possible on this case. Altought i could mount all the HDDs/SSD (3-4) in one cage sideways and use the other one (the empty one) as intake... hmm...

For the HAF X i could just buy that set of custom made filter, but that is + $60.

I've also looked at Corsair 800D, but it's a little more expensive and i've heard that there sould be a lot of problem with the HDD/SDD docks not working. Also as far as i know it's not the best at air cooling

I've also looked at NZXT Switch 810 (White) but i'm allergic to cheap plastic (the top) and i know i will regret buying because of the clean look. The black version is a total on-go. I not like the glossy look.

I'm looking for suggestions (maybe i've missed a potential case), ideas, warnings, anything.

More about : case gaming rig

a b ) Power supply
March 29, 2012 7:10:34 PM

just went from haf x to storm trooper

its better than the haf x

i mounted one hard drive cage side on for tidier cable management and the other head on for air flow

and didnt get the windowed side panel so stuck 2 120mm silverstone air penetrator fans on there

they have some of the best leds i have seen on them--the leds are in the hub not the frame and the spread of

the led light is really even not just lines of light like other fans

only minor faults i found with the case--and they were only minor niggles

have to remove the ssd cage to install ssd

x dock doesnt support 3.5 drives only 2.5

and feet are very low if sitting the case on carpet if you want to put a 120mm in the bottom where the ssd

cage is
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
March 29, 2012 8:23:56 PM

Silverstone Raven ST-RV03B-WA Black Full Tower with USB 3.0 with Side Window

March 29, 2012 8:51:10 PM

@ mcnumpty23

Nice to hear. I'm leaning very much towards the Storm Trooper

@ Uther39

THX for the suggestion :) 
March 29, 2012 9:08:43 PM

I got the HAF 932. I got the first version they released, and I cant believe the dust issues have not been adressed. I used to have a thermaltake armour S I think it was called and It really convenient to just shake off the dust. and It really bugs having to open your case from time to time and find everything filled with dust, specially cpu and gpu cooling devices... yet I still recommend the HAF. I never ever ever had cooling problems and even in OC my cpu and GPU never went off temp. It is nice and big for upgrades and airflow, and it is aesthethically pleasing.

So heres my advice. Go for the HAF X or HAF 932. They are both very cost effective. HAF 932 a little more actually but anyway... Even pro gamers, you heard me right, people who earn a living by gaming, often have it. Because its not over priced and gets the job done perfect.

Second recomendation. Fix the dust problem. I used AC filters, and they worked out great catching dust and leaving your case interior perfect. You can also cut the ac filters in whatever shape you want. Option B go buy Pantyhose. They stretch and allow air flow and catch all dust no problems. I heard pantyhose work really well.

If you dont want to deal with this on a new computer fine, get a pc thats sufficiently big for upgrades and aesthethically pleasing so you dont feel the need to buy a new one after a couple of years when you want to change mobo and CPU
March 29, 2012 11:34:56 PM

pabloe168 said:
I got the HAF 932. I got the first version they released, and I cant believe the dust issues have not been adressed. I used to have a thermaltake armour S I think it was called and It really convenient to just shake off the dust. and It really bugs having to open your case from time to time and find everything filled with dust, specially cpu and gpu cooling devices... yet I still recommend the HAF. I never ever ever had cooling problems and even in OC my cpu and GPU never went off temp. It is nice and big for upgrades and airflow, and it is aesthethically pleasing.

So heres my advice. Go for the HAF X or HAF 932. They are both very cost effective. HAF 932 a little more actually but anyway... Even pro gamers, you heard me right, people who earn a living by gaming, often have it. Because its not over priced and gets the job done perfect.

Second recomendation. Fix the dust problem. I used AC filters, and they worked out great catching dust and leaving your case interior perfect. You can also cut the ac filters in whatever shape you want. Option B go buy Pantyhose. They stretch and allow air flow and catch all dust no problems. I heard pantyhose work really well.

If you dont want to deal with this on a new computer fine, get a pc thats sufficiently big for upgrades and aesthethically pleasing so you dont feel the need to buy a new one after a couple of years when you want to change mobo and CPU

THX for response and ideas :) 
March 31, 2012 6:55:34 PM

rufus_22 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Too conservative for some peeps but aluminum's a plus !

Yes that is true, but my current computer is in a silver Lian Li PC-A17 which is very simple and stylish and that is actually what i'm am running away from screaming right now xD. Really good build quality and some best customer service i have ever been in contact with (new I/O panel because the plastic thing in the eSATA port snaped off)... It's just too anonymous.

I want something big, rough and black ... ... .. :kaola: 
a b ) Power supply
March 31, 2012 10:04:18 PM

rufus_22 said:
very well then take that !!http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-sth10/ too big I know but WOW! happy hunting

nice link--very interesting

though its HUGE and expensive once you buy the case and the add ons you want their future plans include

smaller cases--so will be watching with interest to see what they come out with

the customisation options make them stand out from every other case i have seen

and if you are in to serious watercooling i bet we will see some amazing builds in that case soon
April 1, 2012 12:15:55 AM

rufus_22 said:
very well then take that !!http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-sth10/ too big I know but WOW! happy hunting

HAHAHA!!! Make i should just just buy a server rack xD

I have looked at CM Cosmos II. Damn nice case, buy a little expensive compared to cases like the HAF X and CMST
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
April 1, 2012 8:32:12 AM

I do so like the Corsair range of cases.
April 1, 2012 1:14:28 PM

rufus_22 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Ok I'm just gonna keep throwing stuff at ya till you agree not to get the haf lol .

Haha, keep it comming xD

I've been looking at the 800D, but don't they like suck big time at air cooling?

Now im curious. Why shouldn't i get the HAF X? :) 
a b ) Power supply
April 1, 2012 5:48:59 PM

lol ...theres nothing wrong with them to be honest . Its just that every other person has one and there are so many other options out there . Also , and this is strictly subjective , but I think there fugly
a b ) Power supply
April 1, 2012 5:59:42 PM

the 650 has a 200mm intake , a 200 mm roof exhaust , and a 120 mm exhaust . Also the 200 mm locations can take 140 mm x 2 if ya wanted and for the price not a bad rig
April 1, 2012 9:40:42 PM

Hmm, what about the BitFenix Shinobi XL. Apparently they plan to release a version with a window this month. But again i don't like the lag of dust filters. And maybe it's a bit too simple.

BitFenix Shinobi XL

Still leaning towards the CM Storm Trooper.
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
April 1, 2012 9:51:41 PM

But all the intakes on the Shinobi XL are filtered it says so on that link you gave and I have to say I love it, it looks great and ticks all the boxes.Buy it and come back and tell us all about it so I know if I should get it or not.
a c 111 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
April 2, 2012 1:24:15 AM

Corsair Obsidian 800D? Or the 650D, and 600T.
April 2, 2012 9:27:45 AM

I use the Cooler Master Storm Enforcer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It comes with front and bottom (PSU) dust filters
It has great cable management
It has a window
it's relatively cheap at $90 on newegg.
Allot of space inside the case for a larger cooler, I'm using CM 212+.
It has good airflow my temps are 20-48c with a i5 2400 and my GPU max temp is 55c.
April 2, 2012 9:33:28 AM

It has 2 front USB 3.0 and 2 front USB 2.0 aswell
April 2, 2012 11:01:13 AM

I would say go for a corsair carbide 400R or 500R, both are brilliant chassis for air cooled systems, with option for liquid cooling. The chassis comes with 3 fans (2 in front for intake and 1 in the back for exhaust, with option to fit atleast 5 more (or 6 if your PSU is not very large).

It also comes with 2 USB 3.0 ports in the front with backward compatibility with USB 2.0 (out of the box). The chassis is great for cable management. Comes with removable fan filters in the front and under the PSU intake.

The only issue is the retail version doesn't come with a windowed side panel, but Corsair keeps the windowed side panel for post purchase modifications. The cost is you loose on the 2 140mm fans that you can have on the side, but yes you do get a chassis with side panel. The chassis is minimal, functional, solid, heavy duty, great for cable management and easy to work on.

Did I mention it is all black and matte, pretty gorgeous to look at.
April 3, 2012 9:23:39 PM

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions, but i have chosen to go with a CM Storm Trooper + a windowed sidepanel for the new build.

I really only need to pick a CPU cooler now, but i will create a new thread for that :D 

Again, THX guys
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 9:43:44 PM

you wont regret it :D 

and here in the uk they have just dropped it to £99

which to me is a stunningly low price for a stunningly good case
April 3, 2012 9:51:18 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
you wont regret it :D 

and here in the uk they have just dropped it to £99

which to me is a stunningly low price for a stunningly good case

Yes, i've also noticed a small price drop here in Denmark. Definitely not a bad thing, although the price in Denmark is more like 1100 DDK (around £120) xD
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
April 3, 2012 9:55:55 PM

To go with your coolermaster case why not buy a coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler.
a b ) Power supply
April 3, 2012 10:08:42 PM

Xdreamer said:
Yes, i've also noticed a small price drop here in Denmark. Definitely not a bad thing, although the price in Denmark is more like 1100 DDK (around £120) xD

i paid £130 three or 4 weeks ago--i thought that was a very good price

so to see it drop another £30 in such a short period of time was quite surprising

i did a lot of research on a lot of cases before going for this case

so i say go for it you wont regret it

and if you do you can always blame me :D 
April 4, 2012 5:10:08 PM

Uther39 said:
To go with your coolermaster case why not buy a coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler.

Exactly what i was planning :D . Seems to be a solid cooler. It's going to cooler either an OC 3570k or 3770k.

@mcnumpty23
Pretty sure i won't regred it. But nice to know that i can blame somebody xD
!