My first build, need some help

Okay, hello all

I'm 15 and I've had it with my families current computer. I'm looking for something more powerful that will last me a solid 3 years playing new games on close to high settings at a high resolution. All suggestions and help given would be greatly appreciated.

My price limit is anything under 2000$ after taxes, shipping, rebates...etc

Alright... this is what I have selected so far

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU:
Intel Core i5-2500K
CPU Cooling:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Thermal Paste:
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Motherboard:
ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
or... Something else (this is what I'm looking for advice on)

GPU:
Radeon hd5770 (I know it'll be a bottleneck, but it's what I already have and I'm waiting for the next gen cards from Nvidia and AMD)

Memory: ?
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
or
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

SSD:
Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD

HD: ? I actually have no idea... the prices are so high right now!

PSU:
700w Rocketfish PSU, Probably upgrading along with the graphics card later on.

Optical drive:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner

2 other questions,
1. Who makes the best monitors for the price? and
2. Is it worth it to go 1900/1200 instead of 1900/1080?

Thanks alot.
4 answers Last reply
More about build help
  1. Answer to your two questions:

1) Viewsonic and Iiyama

2) Only if you are planning on getting a monitor that is bigger than 24''
  2. Case:
    COOLER MASTER HAF X Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    Nice case I have the same one and it is huge , you can fit everything plus the kitchen sink.

CPU:
    Intel Core i5-2500K
    CPU Cooling:
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
    Thermal Paste:
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    Good choices here I like the 2500k and arctec silver 5

Motherboard:
    ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    Good choice , any Z68 would be a good choice just make sure you have more than one x16 slot.

GPU:
    Radeon hd5770 (I know it'll be a bottleneck, but it's what I already have and I'm waiting for the next gen cards from Nvidia and AMD)
    I realize that you already have it and want to use it while you wait for the next gen. but you can be waiting a long time and from the benchmarks of the 7970 that was just posted the 7970 is competing with the 580? That doesn't seem to be a very dramatic new release. Depending on your budget maybe you should look at the GTX 570.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,3104.html

Memory: ?
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    or
    CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    You can save a few bucks here by going with 8gb of ram , games will only use less than 8gb and everything over 8gb will be a waste. I would go with Corsair.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
    Ok.

SSD:
    Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD
    I would go with a 120gb SSD because if you load win.7 64bit and the current game you will be a quarter of the way filled with a 120gb SSD. Factor in all the windows updates and driver updates and it adds up quickly.

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    $194.99 and a $30 rebate makes it $164.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191
    Check out the read/writs speeds of this SSD vs the Crucial M4.

PSU:
    700w Rocketfish PSU, Probably upgrading along with the graphics card later on.
    A Rocketfish psu , really? You can find better than that I'm sure.

SeaSonic M12II 850 SS-850AM 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply
    $149.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151108

LG or Samsung are probably the best and Asus is getting there. 1920x1080 is HD and that is what you want.
  3. I support this inzone post, but you could go 570 SLI on this budget. That'd be beastly.
    I'd pick the MSI Z68-GD80. 5-year warranty and $200. Tom's loved it, with the one caveat that it can't handle 3-way SLI without screwing up its ports (don't worry about that).
  4. Got some good suggestions going on here.

For monitors, Dell's panels are some of the absolute best. With the Professional (P-series), you get LED backlighting, slightly matted screens to prevent glare but not dimmed colors, amazing colors and brightness settings, and a great industrial design. Plus, the panels come with a 3-year warranty. I love my P2411H (last year's model) and plan on getting more Dell monitors in the future.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product