Is this a good setup for a gaming rig.

OK so I would like to run BF3,Skyrim and ARMA II and ARMA III(when it comes out) on a fairly high setting.So will these specs do:

Processor:AMD FX-6100
Graphics Card: GTX 560 SLI
PSU:FSP Group AURUM GOLD 600W
Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+
RAM:8GB
HDD:500Gb

So yeah...I guess that's it.THaNKS.
And if the system completely sucks...feel free to say so.
23 answers Last reply
More about good setup gaming
  1. Please fill this out.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

    The build is OK, CPU is a bit meh... The PSU isn't going to be enough to power 560 SLI.
  2. agiste101 said:
    OK so I would like to run BF3,Skyrim and ARMA II and ARMA III(when it comes out) on a fairly high setting.So will these specs do:

    Processor:AMD FX-6100
    Graphics Card: GTX 560 SLI
    PSU:FSP Group AURUM GOLD 600W
    Mobo:GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+
    RAM:8GB
    HDD:500Gb

    So yeah...I guess that's it.THaNKS.
    And if the system completely sucks...feel free to say so.

    CPU will hold BF3 at 40fps when the 560sli could easy do high Ultra at 60fps. Get Phenom II x4 955 or better or x6
  3. ^ Proof please?
  4. Headspin_69 said:
    CPU will hold BF3 at 40fps when the 560sli could easy do high Ultra at 60fps. Get Phenom II x4 955 or better or x6

    That cpu will be just fine my FX-8120 runs BF3 60fps solid vsynced amd more with vsync off but I do not like screen tearing so I leave it on. I agree on the PSU it may not be enough to run SLI although I have no reference with Nvidia as I do not use them.
  5. bryonhowley said:
    That cpu will be just fine my FX-8120 runs BF3 60fps solid vsynced amd more with vsync off but I do not like screen tearing so I leave it on. I agree on the PSU it may not be enough to run SLI although I have no reference with Nvidia as I do not use them.

    That FX 6100 is a really dawg in gaming and the benches on Toms have shown the performance as being way under powered in gaming.
  6. ^ Please show us a link where it performs at just 40 FPS and doesn't go higher.
  7. aznshinobi said:
    ^ Please show us a link where it performs at just 40 FPS and doesn't go higher.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-overclock-crossfire-ssd,3098-13.html
  8. http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

    bf3 doesn't require a fast cpu, anything better than a athlon x3 will do just fine.

    but that doesn't apply to skyrim.. cpu does matter

    http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/page7.html
  9. drunkducki said:
    http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

    bf3 doesn't require a fast cpu, anything better than a athlon x3 will do just fine.

    but that doesn't apply to skyrim.. cpu does matter

    http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/page7.html

    Well I sure hope more games become more GPU intensive like BF3 the way it should be otherwise I will not have a proper upgrade path from my current Phenom II x2 555 unlocked to a Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.7ghz 1100T it is I think.
  10. bryonhowley said:
    That cpu will be just fine my FX-8120 runs BF3 60fps solid vsynced amd more with vsync off but I do not like screen tearing so I leave it on. I agree on the PSU it may not be enough to run SLI although I have no reference with Nvidia as I do not use them.

    It has been brought to my attention that you are in fact not Bsing me about the AMD FX performance in BF3 however I was wondering how you have been enjoying the performance of the AMD FX in other games I mean I am worried I don't have a proper upgrade path from my current Phenom II x4 955.
  11. Uhh... False, read the article again it says that the combo of 6950 CF + 6100 doesn't go below 36 FPS but it is in a sense "bottlenecked". The system gets pretty decent FPS, 60 FPS being the sweet spot for frames in most games.
  12. aznshinobi said:
    Uhh... False, read the article again it says that the combo of 6950 CF + 6100 doesn't go below 36 FPS but it is in a sense "bottlenecked". The system gets pretty decent FPS, 60 FPS being the sweet spot for frames in most games.

    I don't know I am still not completely sold on AMD FX as a viable upgrade path because 6950 CF in 99% of games should never be dipping below 60fps @ 1080p or lower res.
  13. guys i hate it when people are arguing about processors damnit i mean common just get the i5 2500k best processor money can buy and relativly cheap.

    as for the psu get a 750w unit better for sli and if i can suggest a brand then get xfx or seasonic
  14. So...you guys said that the PSU was not enough.So I decided on this one: XFX Core Edition PRO750W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207015)

    And also is the Fx 6100 good or can I go with AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103851) which one do you think will be better.

    I forgot to say that my resolution is 1440x900.

    Let me know if I missed anything.
  15. agiste101 said:
    So...you guys said that the PSU was not enough.So I decided on this one: XFX Core Edition PRO750W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207015)

    And also is the Fx 6100 good or can I go with AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103851) which one do you think will be better.

    I forgot to say that my resolution is 1440x900.

    Let me know if I missed anything.

    If your mostly into gaming then the Thuban X6 is the better option over the BD FX chips.
  16. AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W: $110

    Spend the left-over cash on a 990X/990FX motherboard --- not sure how well the GA-970A-D3 AM3+ will run 2 video cards.
  17. Wisecracker said:
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W: $110

    Spend the left-over cash on a 990X/990FX motherboard --- not sure how well the GA-970A-D3 AM3+ will run 2 video cards.

    Something seems fucky with a 95watt CPU some how I think Phenom II x4 is a better option.
  18. Headspin_69 said:
    Something seems fucky with a 95watt CPU some how I think Phenom II x4 is a better option.


    The 960T is an EO-stepping hex-core Thuban that has been neutered into a Deneb quad, giving it (theoretically) more 'electrical' headroom.
  19. Headspin_69 said:
    It has been brought to my attention that you are in fact not Bsing me about the AMD FX performance in BF3 however I was wondering how you have been enjoying the performance of the AMD FX in other games I mean I am worried I don't have a proper upgrade path from my current Phenom II x4 955.

    I have read a lot of negative with the FX CPU's but in truth I have not had any problems with games on my rig. I play Rage Skyrim BF3 The Witcher 2 Batman Arkham City and other all max with no problems.

    From what I can tell on the GIGABYTE website your mainboard can handle any of the FX CPU'S as long as you have flashed with the f6 bios update. So going forward should be no problem for your current rig.
  20. Wisecracker is correct, I also agree with the 960T. The ability to unlock 6 cores for less and it's pretty solid from benches I've seen.

    As for the parts, OP I suggest this motherboard.
    Asrock Extreme4 970 $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262&Tpk=970%20extreme4
    One of the cheaper motherboards out there that will run 8x/8x and allow SLI. It's also a pretty solid board for the buck.

    For the PSU you can save and go with this instead, the OCZ ZS 750
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341049
    Or pay a little more and go with this Lepa 850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194093&Tpk=Lepa%20850
    Rebate makes it cheaper than the XFX
  21. Quote:
    Wisecracker is correct, I also agree with the 960T. The ability to unlock 6 cores for less and it's pretty solid from benches I've seen.

    As for the parts, OP I suggest this motherboard.
    Asrock Extreme4 970 $110
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 20extreme4
    One of the cheaper motherboards out there that will run 8x/8x and allow SLI. It's also a pretty solid board for the buck.

    For the PSU you can save and go with this instead, the OCZ ZS 750
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817341049
    Or pay a little more and go with this Lepa 850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] Lepa%20850
    Rebate makes it cheaper than the XFX


    So if i go with these things and the AMD Thurban, it should be good right?
  22. Yeah pretty solid, the 960T is solid for the price, you can play it safe and actually buy a Thuban now instead of having the chance the cores won't unlock but yes the Phenom/Thubans are in their own way better than the Bulldozer chips.
  23. nice....
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product