Need Helping picking out NEW RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbernardo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hello all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my memory up to 32GB and I need help choosing.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Sandy Bridge i5-2500k CPU@3.3GHz OC at 4.3
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 460
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB
PSU: 650 Corsair
MOUSE: Logitech G500

Link me what you guys can find.

Thanks guys!

No game will use more than 2-3gb by itself.
8gb is the standard for gamers. Your 6gb should be fine.

If you are running 64 bit enabled apps that can use lots of ram, then by all means buy all you can. Ram is cheap.

Be aware that you need windows pro or better to access >16gb.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

Mbernardo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

WOW! thanks for the information. i'm currently running windows 7 64 bit. yeah the only reason why I want more RAM is because when i play games it stops and a window pops up saying your computer is running slow due to low memory? and so it asks me to close some programs and or change the Aero style themes to make it run faster.. I don't know why that even happens. but I just want to make sure that if I get an 8GB stick that it wont happen again..

Consider the possibility that you have a malware infection.
If you run those programs, you may well get in deeper.

jtenorj

Distinguished
Before you reformat your HDD/reinstall your OS, you might consider downloading, installing and running malwarebytes to see if you have malware and if you can get rid of it more easily. Is that win 7 64 home or one of the more expensive options(home is limited to 16GB by microsoft)? Also, I'm doubting you will get much use out of faster 1600/1866/2133 ram since you are running an i5 2500k(integrated memory controller maxes out at 1333). You may want to look at some lower latency 1333(cas 9 or below). It should be cheaper as well.

Mbernardo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

is this some kind of program that detects malware.. ? i'm a noob help!

Mbernardo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

i'm running win7 ultimate. hmm so the 1600 speeds wont work if im running a 2500k? thats weakkkk... whats a good program to detect malware?

No, It is a memory testing program. It does not require a os, you boot from a cd, usb or floppy device.
http://www.memtest.org/

There are any number of malware scanners and anti virus programs.

You really should have already installed something.
Microsoft security essentials is free.

I have not needed to run it, but malwarebytes is popular:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Mbernardo

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah, I do have Microsoft Security Essentials running on my computer at home. Thanks for the info i'll check that site out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS