Dual Monitor issues

MacPhotographs

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello, I am having an issue with my display.
I have dual monitors set up in extended mode. After use of a game or video the monitor starts to blur, it continues to get worse sometimes blacking out completely.
By blur I mean it looks like someone is running a magnet across an old CRT kind of blur, extreme tearing ect.
The tearing only occurs on the primary monitor-
Hyundai W240D- Primary monitor- One with problems (24in 1920x1200)
Asus VH242H- Secondary monitor- No issues when set as primary or secondary.
When the Hyundai is set as primary and I play WOW or what YouTube, it will work fine for a while, then it will degrade quickly.
If I change the order of the monitors, and use the Asus as primary the Hyundai will usually be fine, sometimes however it will degrade.
Based on everything so far, I thought it was my monitor going bad however I have plugged the monitor in by its self, it works fine on my computer and others, it will run any game at full settings for any amount of time no problem. Furthermore, this used to be my only monitor and it never had this issue, its only started since I added the Asus monitor and new GPUs (I have 2 EVGA 460 GTX cards in SLI).

This leads me to think it’s a settings issue or something?

I have tried using the 2nd GPU and swapping cords- it did not work.
I have tried different drivers- this did not work.
I tried overclocking the GPU’s this didn’t work
Both monitors are set to the same refresh rate of 60 Hertz- True color set to 32bit.
I’ve tried messing with the settings in the windows interface and the NVidia control panel , neither have worked thus far.

I have looked around the internet and have seen some people with what sounds like a similar problem, but no definitive solution.
Below are my spec’s and if I failed to leaving anything relevant out please let me know and I will post it.

CPU I7-2600k
RAM 8gb DDR3 2000Mhz
Mobo Asus P67 Deluxe
PSU 850W Thermaltake Toughpower Grand
GPU X2 EVGA GTX 460
OC-
Model# 01g-p3-1372-br
OS Windows 7 Ultimate

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Also, if it would be useful I record exactly what it looks like when its happening and put it on youtube, if your allowed to post links.

obiwan8000

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

I'll admit I didn't read this entirely - but I figured I'd shoot you one very easy / but overlooked suggestion just to get it out of the way.

Take a look at both cables (specifically the one going to the faulty monitor) - make sure the pins of the cable are not bent in any way. Do this for both ends just to be sure. I've had issues before similar to yours where literally ONE pin was bent or missing and the monitor will "work" but you will get all kinds of tearing, shading problems... could be anything.

Give that a look just in case - if not, will come up with something else.

Good luck.

- 0bi

MacPhotographs

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Both are DVI, on the same card- I am using the top card, and have the primary plugged into the first DVI slot.

I have tried using the bottom card and changing the order they are plugged in.

MacPhotographs

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

No, I didn't think to do that since the bridge is brand new, Everything in the system is from July except the Monitor I kept from my prior computer.

Do SLI bridges go "bad"?

MacPhotographs

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
swapped it out today, it was a no go : /

Right now I am going to change the DVI to HDMI to see if that does anything.

...Never mind the HDMI ports are Mini and apparently I didn't get the adapter with the GPU from EVGA like I was supposed to.