AMD FX-8120 temps

tonysathre

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I just built a new ESXi server with one of these CPUs. When I go into the BIOS the CPU temperature is reading 51 C idling. This seems pretty high to me. This is with the stock cooler, no overclocking, and using some cheap Cooler Master thermal paste that came with my Hyper 212+.

I've reseated the CPU and cooler once already with minimal change. Is there anything else I need or should do to improve these temps, short of buying a new cooler.

Thanks,

Tony

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

depending on what motherboard you have, bios may or may not be at idle. my asus runs it at full speed when checking settings. 51c would be about right if thats the case.

stealer0517

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I read that the processor maximum temps (not overheating, but to keep it lasting a long time) are 60 so the fan speed should kick up around 58 or 59 (mine does) but it will be safe at 66 but it wont lat as long as they want it too (probably 5-7 years (but i wont keep mine in my gaming pc for that long))

Even 5 - 7 years is short. I had old Athlon 3400+ OC and regularly runes over its safe max temp. I had it since late 03 early 04. Runs great to this day on a garbage cooler running as a home file server/guinea pig.

But either way, I contacted AMD 1 day about temps. and they have told me with my old Phenom II x4 940 that the safe max temp is 62c AT 1.55v. But at stock it was at 1.32v and he said that it can go up to 70c and be fine as long as its not at 1.55v. AMD just doesn't warranty it pass 62c regardless of the volts. Idk lol.

Some board to put full load on the CPU during bios, so Boot into windows and see what temps you get there. them things should idle around 35c but depending on the mobo fan controller.