Stuck on BIOS splash

deemanon

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
I would like to get straight to the point, I've been scouting internet for 3 weeks trying to get some help with my problem, and got nowhere... Rather slow.

Problem:

My custom build pc, has been playing up for a while (showing random application failiure errors, rebooting out of nowhere(no bsod)), and getting progressively slower day by day, but it has gotten to the point, where the PC will get stuck on pre-splash screen (asus expressgate(which fails to load)) for best part of 2 minutes, then moves on to the BIOS splash, where it will sit for 10 to 20 minutes, doesn't let me actually access BIOS due to keyboard not connecting. after the 20 minute wait, i will access the windows 7 desktop, to discover that i must wait further hour before all my programs have loaded and i am able to do anything... This issue carries on while i try to shut down, it took 2 hours last time i asked my PC to turn off.

More info:

On the BIOS screen, i am unable to use my keyboard, so i cannot access any settings.
My system is about 6 month old.
I do get the POST beep.

AMD Athlon II x3 450,
3x patriot 4GB ddr3 1333mhz,
ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 2GB,
ASUS M4A77T mobo,
2x Barracuda sata hdd (500GB)
Windows 7 ultimate x64

Things i already tried:

I have booted with no ram, got lots of beeps and fans went crazy...
I have tested the ram modules in a different machine, as well as in windows 7 on this machine...
I disconnected all usbs and all harddrives, the spalsh was still on for best part of 30 minutes.
Done 3 week of research into this and got nothing but some people having issues with harddrives spinning up too slow...

I am currently resetting the CMOS, by taking the battery out, and hoping for best.

Thanks Deeman.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Hi.
My best guess would be a mobo problem.Only way to test it is to put another cpu in there and see if problem still continues.The random crashes can also point to the cpu as the problem.

I would try scanning for virus and malware first to see if part of the problem isnt virus.After that you really needed to go into bios and flash it.

Have you measured the temps on the cpu?A burned out cpu would cause alot of boot problems or no boot at all.

Point in case,you need another mobo to test all out.If problem presists it may be a cpu issue.I would test with another mobo first simply because if your mobo as a problem is can be really hard to find out which is it,can be ram,cpu,sata controller,usb controller,cpu socket,pci-e lanes,audio,etc.
Even though you may connect the mobo with only cpu and ram the other mobo interfaces are still initialized so it may cause false positives.
Test with another working mobo for faster troubleshooting.

Good luck.

deemanon

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

How do i scan for virus in this circumstance?

Temperatures are nothing to worry about, i've had the 4th core unlocked most of time but still ever reporting no more than 30 - 35 degree working, (Arctic freezer 13 pro)

i have tried booting with one, and that had not made any difference, due to my cooler being so big, i am unable to use the first DIMM slot, so i occupy the second, third and forth slot.

Thanks Deeman,

TRENDING THREADS