mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I was using MSI control center to experiment with an overclock I raised my bus speed from 100mhz to 103mhz and it instantly froze and the power light was flashing as if it was in standby mode, I switched the PSU off and unplugged the power as the power button was unresponsive... the power light carried on flashing for another 5 or so seconds. I plugged it back in and the power button no longer powers up the motherboard, I've tried clr cmos which didn't work.

This is my first build (2 months old, all parts new out of box) and I don't really feel confident in making a correct diagnosis and wanted to be sure I send the right part back for replacement, At the moment I highly suspect it's a problem with the motherboard though I could be wrong. I've also tested my PSU just to eliminate it as a problem and it powered on fine (I havn't tested if all outputs are getting a voltage).

Main problem

System will not power up (no activity after the power switch circuit is made on the motherboard)

System spec

MB: MSI P67A-C43 (B3)
CPU: I5 2400 @ 3.6ghz (100x36)
PSU: Corsair TX650
Ram: 8gb 4x2gb Corsair XMS 3 1600
GPU: EVGA GTS 450 SC @ Core 920/1840mhz GDDR5 2052mhz

Thank you

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I think the naming of this question is totally wrong for the kind of help i need XD, People will just assume "bent pins".

I really need a fast response because i'd really like to order a new motherboard or the part I may need. The only problems this could really be is the PSU or motherboard and since I have a direct link to the cause (E.g. me) I would of thought this would be an easy question to answer, I've been waiting 2 days... I decided to post it again.

Cause

OS based overclocking utility, Raised bus speed from 100 to 103
after doing so it instantly cut out and would not power back up

Symptoms

Motherboard will not power up, I've heard that the motherboard will power up without a CPU so I don't really think i've damaged that. I've heard about problems with ram and I removed all my stick apart from one although I also highly doubt that would cause the motherboard to be unable to power up. I doubt the motherboard has grounded with the case since it hasn't been touched for nearly 2 months and has been fine

Mainly I just want to know that I'm replacing the right part.

Thank you

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
you can try disconnecting the motherboard form everything and removing cmos battery for about 15 mins or overnight and then putting it all back together, similar thing happened to me once, i crapped my self :)

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah I will try that... I think I've learned a lesson though "Never use overclocking utilitys!, especially for bus speeds". I hope it works hehehe. I have tried clr cmos but it's worth a shot :D. It's quite a squeeze lol. I did disconnect everything when I was trying to find what was wrong, Externally anyway, haven't removed the GPU, ram or the SATA devices "HDD, DVD RW etc".

Thanks for the reply rajaawad23 :D

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have used MSI overclocking tool and it looks nice, change one setting and your system freezes, in other words...***. lol, keep me up to date on what happens, it seems odd for that to happen though.

The unlocked "K" processors like the Intel Core i5-2500K are able to be overclocked easily by upping the multiplier allowing you to get a lot better performance without the risk of damaging the board or processor by trying to do a BLCK overclock. I would think that you are safe from the damaged to the processor and the board by the sound of it but you need to reset your Bios to the stable bus.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Previously before that I had my I5 2400 running stable @ 3.6 - 3.7ghz (36-37x), I personally think Ocing Utilitys are an unstable way to apply settings to your bios especially since the computer is under extra load then it would be inside the actually Bios menu. It does it in real time so as soon as you apply it changes the settings.

I would of thought that the system would at least power on or have a "power burp" even if the overclock was unstable, this is why I think the motherboard is damaged.

Thanks anyway :D

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Just put the battery back in since it's been over an hour now and still no activity when I attempt to power up.... I think i will have to take it apart and put the motherboard back in its box :/. (by no activity I mean the PSU doesn't even power up for anybody else reading this, I've tested the PSU also)

Thanks for the suggestion anyway rajaawad23

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Yeah, I've taken all the components out and put the cap back on the socket and i'm going to get in touch with the site I bought it from, I'm sure they will give me a refund or replacement since I did spend £650 on there site. I read good reviews about the customer service of the site "ballicom", it was the cheapest I could find with excellent reviews... there was a site called "Scan" with really low prices but many of the people said there customer service was terrible and many people refaired to them as "Scam" lol I'm just glad I don't have to deal with them XD