Sign in with
Your question

Power supply needed? Trying to diagnose Windows7 crashes

Last response: in Systems
December 24, 2011 3:13:30 AM

I have been trying to find solutions to the "event 41 task 63" error that happens whenever I try to shutdown/restart/sleep/hibernate my computer (results: sometimes the computer does what I want it to, sometimes it just crashes and restarts). It's happened on the same machine with both Vista64 and Seven64. I've been searching and searching for a solution. I've heard a few people suggest it might be a PSU problem. I thought I'd post my system contents and see what people thought as to the power requirements. Thanks for the replies!

Antec New Solution NSK3480 MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 380W Power Supply
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
LaCie d2 Quadra 500GB External Hard Drive
ViewSonic X Series VX1940w 19" LCD Monitor
Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-216DBK
AZiO AWD102N PCI Wireless Adapter
GIGABYTE GM-M6800 Wired Optical Mouse
Microsoft Windows Seven Ultimate 64-bit (used to have Vista64 Home)
December 26, 2011 12:31:21 AM

The latest crash happened while A) running Gratuitous Space Battles in the background B) opening a Vimeo fullscreen video C) and having several Chrome tabs open in the background. Grarg. Since the original post, I've tested each stick of memory independently with Windows Memory Diagnostic with zero errors detected.
December 31, 2011 9:02:49 PM

Still trying to fix this problem. Does it sound like a motherboard issue, a PSU issue, or what? I will take all guesses as valid options.
Related resources
January 1, 2012 11:46:15 AM

Your power supply is pretty low output. 380w is low for todays requirements. That would be my first guess. Try disabling or unplugging things you don't need, and see how it runs. But 380w is low for a modern pc with a dual core processor and pci-e gfx card.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2012 12:39:09 PM

MitchyK7 said:
Your power supply is pretty low output. 380w is low for todays requirements.

dragoboi said:
Ill try to help to the best of my ability. and is this card the 1 you have ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it doesn say 450watt power supply recommended. and what happens when u get that error?

It's possible that the psu is faulty, it's plenty of power for the specs laid out by the OP.
PS; 9 times out of 10, the psu has nothing to do with the "event 41 error", a network driver, sound driver or improper SATA setting in the bios, among other things ,are all possible causes.
January 12, 2012 8:00:15 PM

Would network driver/sound driver/improper SATA settings cause the inconsistent crashes? E.g., I click on "quit" in Jamestown (great game...) and it crashes the system to POST twice in a row, and then the next two times it works. I click "settings" in FSX once and it crashes to POST and the next time it's just fine. I click "Shut down" and it shuts down once every ten times, and crashes to POST every other time. What kind of thing causes that?
January 12, 2012 10:28:18 PM

Update: I pulled out my Sapphire HD 4850 to see if that would effect the behaviour of the crashes. I haven't had a single crash yet since pulling the card...hibernate works, using problem programs works, in short, so far, so good. So I'm thinking the power supply might be not enough to run the graphics card, even at idle power -OR- the graphics card is wonky. What do you all think?
!