Dell xps8300 mobo replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could replace my motherboard in my Dell XPS8300 with any other matx motherboard. Specifically, I was looking into the EVGA 120-SB-E682-KR SLI Micro Z68 Motherboard.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1125852&csid=

Any help at all would be amazing and thank you in advance!

Solution
Some later z68 boards may have pci-e 3.0 support, which all z77 boards have for ivy bridge. Check evga's cpu support list carefully; on some boards, they may not have ivy bridge support without a bios flash first. They did this with p67 boards, not even offering a bios update for ivy bridge. Newegg has a better selection and some less expensive z77 boards by msi and biostar, which I use.

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
I'm running Windows 8. I upgraded not to long ago and it's not like I use any of Dells integrated software anyway.

Looking at the two boards, other than the price, I don't really see much of a difference between them. Is there something I'm missing about the 77 that works better than the 68?

Some later z68 boards may have pci-e 3.0 support, which all z77 boards have for ivy bridge. Check evga's cpu support list carefully; on some boards, they may not have ivy bridge support without a bios flash first. They did this with p67 boards, not even offering a bios update for ivy bridge. Newegg has a better selection and some less expensive z77 boards by msi and biostar, which I use.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.