Looking for under $100 dollar

Hello,
i am building my first computer
motherboard asus m5a97 evo
cpu amd phenomIIx4 95 black
hd western digital 500gb wd5002aalx black
dvd lg or liteon sata 24x

first question am i at the right place it is hard to get advice on these kind of things

are these components compatable
if so i need a suggestion on a video card
i am not a serious gamer will mostly watch
hd movies extra on 40 inch plus screen.
for now i am trying to stay in a budget under 100 would be nice
i no in the future 3d is coming and i hope to get into video editing not very high tech. i no the video card will help dictate what power supply maybe the ocz zt-750

i should mention the reason i am doing this is my old computer died
ihave a laptop so i not in a big hurry would be nice to no i am going in the right direction
in the
38 answers Last reply
More about looking dollar
  1. Yep i agree a 6770 is a solid choice,even a 6670 would be fine.
    You don't need a 750W psu btw,a quality 500W is more then enough.
    Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-500CXV2
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=60329&vpn=CMPSU%2D500CXV2&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1314
    You don't need a better gpu then what's listed if you don't game alot.
  2. Oh I totally missed that. Right. Antec 430, $60 and worth it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034&Tpk=antec%20430
    Get 8gb RAM if you're not already.
  3. Of course you could do much better on a higher budget, but he did specify $100.
  4. SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
    $119.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102898

    GIGABYTE GV-N550OC-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    $119.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125367

    ASUS EAH6770/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    $119.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121474

    You can look at these cards and pick and choose according to your budget. You had mentioned the OCZ ZT 750w power supply and I don't know if that is something you already have or if you are planning on getting it , but it is listed for $99.99 after rebate and you can actually use a lower psu and save some money which you could put towards a better video card.

    SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

    XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    $159.99 and a $30 rebate makes it $129.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150573

    The $30 that you would save by going with the 620w psu can go towards this video card and be a great improvement over the other cards that I had recomended.
  5. In what budget? OP never made one, no?
  6. kajabla said:

    thank you for your advice
    looking at what i choose motherboard etc should most of my money be spent
    on the prossesor and motherboard first if so or my chooses ok
    i was not rely sure with the power supply
    is there any advantage to a semi modular or modular power supply
    thank you i can definately adjust my budget on the video card and power supply
    i think i did that with the mother board i choose the m5a97 over the m5a 99x
    i do not feel i need the m5a 99x
    what do you feel about my choice with the processor
    i hope i am not asking to much and realy new at this
    i am a plumber steamfitter if i can help you in this feild feel free to ask
    thank you for your time
  7. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  8. thank you for your advice
    looking at what i choose motherboard etc should most of my money be spent
    on the prossesor and motherboard first if so or my chooses ok
    i was not rely sure with the power supply
    is there any advantage to a semi modular or modular power supply
    thank you i can definately adjust my budget on the video card and power supply
    i think i did that with the mother board i choose the m5a97 over the m5a 99x
    i do not feel i need the m5a 99x
    what do you feel about my choice with the processor
    i hope i am not asking to much and realy new at this
    i am a plumber steamfitter if i can help you in this feild feel free to ask
    thank you for your time
  9. inzone said:
    SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
    $119.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102898

    GIGABYTE GV-N550OC-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    $119.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125367

    ASUS EAH6770/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
    $119.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $99.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121474

    You can look at these cards and pick and choose according to your budget. You had mentioned the OCZ ZT 750w power supply and I don't know if that is something you already have or if you are planning on getting it , but it is listed for $99.99 after rebate and you can actually use a lower psu and save some money which you could put towards a better video card.

    SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

    XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    $159.99 and a $30 rebate makes it $129.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150573

    The $30 that you would save by going with the 620w psu can go towards this video card and be a great improvement over the other cards that I had recomended.
  10. kajabla said:

    iwas watching a you tube video on the asus m5a97
    it supports crossfire and not sli
    is this important or not a big deal for my needs
  11. geo22 said:
    iwas watching a you tube video on the asus m5a97
    it supports crossfire and not sli
    is this important or not a big deal for my needs


    Crossfire is for the Ati cards and sli is for nvidia, for your situation i don't think it matters as everyone is recommending an ati card for you.
  12. Yep.
  13. kajabla said:
    Yep.

    i have just come into $300 more dollars were would that be wisely spent
    maybe upgrade to the asus m5a99x and mayb the other 200 0r so into
    a different video card any suggestion on video card or my cpu or hard drive

    you suggested 8 gb ram what type do i need and any paticular brand

    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ
    is this cpu compatable is it a good choice in my budget

    western digital caviar black500 GB - WD5002AALX
    what do you think of this hard drive
  14. This topic has gone all sorts of places. What's your overall budget now that you have this extra money to work with?
  15. kajabla said:
    This topic has gone all sorts of places. What's your overall budget now that you have this extra money to work with?

    motherboard asus M5a97 evo or ASUS M5A99X EVO
    cpu amd Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    hd WD Caviar Black 500 GB
    Antec P280 XL-ATX Tower Case Black
    psu OCZ ZT 550W Power Supply

    this what i was looking at for a motherboard (1 or the other) cpu hd case and psu

    i would like to stay between 600 maxing out at 800 (i would really like to stay at 600 ish)
    for the complete project (not including windows 7) i need a suggestion for a video card and ram
    if going to a cheaper psu case even proccesor or hd
    thank you i no my question kind of opened a can of worms
  16. $50-$100 case. I don't know why you picked such an expensive one, but unless you really like it it doesn't really have a place in a build on this kind of budget.
    Some popular and fairly cheap cases:
    -HAF 912 $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
    -Antec 300 $45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
    -Storm Scout $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196
    -NZXT Apollo $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146025
    -Rosewill Challenger $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

    This PSU. I trust ANtec over OCZ in PSUs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

    I think you could use a $20 third-party headsink. Hyper TX3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006648&isNodeId=1&Description=tx3&x=0&y=0

    And you're at $535 without a GPU (Assuming you don't need an OS?).
    You really can't get a GPU on $65.
    The 965 can handle GPUs up until around the 6950/560 Ti range, I think. Those cost ~$220. Spend as much as you're willing to spend.
    I would spend at least $95, which gets you a 6770. That'll run all games on med/low settings, and many on high.
  17. kajabla said:
    $50-$100 case. I don't know why you picked such an expensive one, but unless you really like it it doesn't really have a place in a build on this kind of budget.
    Some popular and fairly cheap cases:
    -HAF 912 $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
    -Antec 300 $45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
    -Storm Scout $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196
    -NZXT Apollo $60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146025
    -Rosewill Challenger $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

    This PSU. I trust ANtec over OCZ in PSUs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

    I think you could use a $20 third-party headsink. Hyper TX3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006648&isNodeId=1&Description=tx3&x=0&y=0

    And you're at $535 without a GPU (Assuming you don't need an OS?).
    You really can't get a GPU on $65.
    The 965 can handle GPUs up until around the 6950/560 Ti range, I think. Those cost ~$220. Spend as much as you're willing to spend.
    I would spend at least $95, which gets you a 6770. That'll run all games on med/low settings, and many on high.



    hi just an update i looked at as many newegg reviews about the gpu cases and psu. then my laptop (i think it lost a file i fixed it in safe mode so i am running a virus scan and back looking)

    with the gpu if i do not want to spend the 220 now should i consider a 6770 for now and upgrade later
    or consider a 6850 6870 i think i should wait for 6950/560

    with the cases you are right it would just be nice to have 2 usb3 and 2 usb2 on the front of the case
    the one you suggested had 4 usb2 on the front

    i found the Antec P280 XL-ATX Tower Case Black on line for 112 plus tax it is high
    i guess i have to do more looking because that cases is really big
    but i think it is well made and looks like it will help reduce fan noise
    and the filters are real easy to change.

    seeing it is boxing day time any suggestion on ram
    i do not want to make the same mistake and buy ram
    to expensive for this build

    thank you for continued help and patience

    rember any plumbing or heating questions i can help
  18. Do you have peripherals that use USB 3? If so, and those front-panel ports are important, you could just get a USB 3 bracket ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997021 ) and stick it in a 3.5" port. You can get 4-port brackets for ~$40, if you want that.
  19. 6770 Would be the best bet. Looks like people got here first D:
  20. kajabla said:
    Do you have peripherals that use USB 3? If so, and those front-panel ports are important, you could just get a USB 3 bracket ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997021 ) and stick it in a 3.5" port. You can get 4-port brackets for ~$40, if you want that.


    what about a brand of ram i do not want to make the same mistake and buy ram to expensive for this build i plan to get 8gb (2x4) just wondering what brand
    i have 1 2tb external hd usb3

    i found a roswell 82e16811147060 it is $69
    it has 2 usb3 ports what do you think of this one
    6770 gpu
    i think this is it i just have to get some ram
    am i missing anything else
  21. If it's just an external hard drive, couldn't you just plug it into the mobo?
    $60, no? That's a good case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147060&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4003003&SID=g6yawn0xbno7
    6770's OK, but you could do significantly better. (This is the one I was thinking of, by the way, $95 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150560 ). A 6850 could be yours for $130 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908
  22. kajabla said:
    If it's just an external hard drive, couldn't you just plug it into the mobo?
    $60, no? That's a good case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147060&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4003003&SID=g6yawn0xbno7
    6770's OK, but you could do significantly better. (This is the one I was thinking of, by the way, $95 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150560 ). A 6850 could be yours for $130 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

    i was thinking of getting 6770 for now and maybe in a few months get the 6950/560
    but if i would be happy with the 6850 i will maybe go with that gpu
    could you send me a link to the 6950/560 to make sure i am looking at the same gpu you are talking about
    i am saving these different items in a folder for reference

    i really appreciate your advice what about ram corsair patriot g skill (ripsaw) kingston what do you think

    the reason i like the front connections on the case is i have a computer desk. the side is open for airflow and so is the back but it is not that easy to reach the back i hook up and unhook my external hd a lot would be handy to have
    the front access
  23. I don't think the RAM company matters much. They'll all work fine.
    So if you like the look of the Challenger's USB 3 setup, get that. If you don't care how a bracket looks, get one of those and choose whatever case has the look you like best.
  24. kajabla said:
    I don't think the RAM company matters much. They'll all work fine.
    So if you like the look of the Challenger's USB 3 setup, get that. If you don't care how a bracket looks, get one of those and choose whatever case has the look you like best.

    when you recommended the usb3 bracket what case were you talking about.
    do you no i am in canada,
    when i did a total i am at 850, when you said i was at 530 without a gpu what were you including. let me no were you get your prices. maybe it is more in canada. newegg.ca does not offer free shipping either
    i have been using newegg.ca direct canada ncix or i use shopbot.ca


    ncix matches prices when i talked to them on the phone. i was told i have to place order including urls
    they will e-mail back if they will or not
    is his normal

    as you can tell i am starting the buying part
  25. Oh, I was doing USD off newegg.com.
  26. kajabla said:
    Oh, I was doing USD off newegg.com.

    what case were you talking about when you suggested the 3 usb bracket
  27. The bracket will work on any case that has a 3.5" (hard drive) bracket accessible from the front. This is almost any mainstream case. You won't need the bracket, though, with any case that already has USB 3.0 front panel ports.
  28. kajabla said:
    The bracket will work on any case that has a 3.5" (hard drive) bracket accessible from the front. This is almost any mainstream case. You won't need the bracket, though, with any case that already has USB 3.0 front panel ports.

    what considerations should i take when buying ram if i am considering stable overclocking not insane
    i watched the youtube video from newegg with the asus rep i do no a lot but he seemed very knowledgeable
  29. Well, you don't need RAM faster than 1600mhz, so you don't need to take any considerations at all.
  30. kajabla said:
    Well, you don't need RAM faster than 1600mhz, so you don't need to take any considerations at all.

    hi kajabla i went to ncix's new store in vancouver bc canada www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1dUaZHwag check it out a big store lots of hardware on display in bc this is unusual for component parts.

    ASUS M5A99X Evo ATX AM3+ DDR3 AMD 990X 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI USB3.0 SATA3 GBLAN Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM
    XFX Radeon HD 6850 Fansink 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Display Port HDMI PCI-E Video
    Corsair TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V Single Rail 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze
    Samsung SH-222BB 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

    this is what i ordered it was just about all in stock so i will pick it up in a couple days
    did i do ok
    i thank you kajabla for your help patience and advice so far

    when i went to ncix they did a price match online and matched all the prices i found online at
    newegg.ca shopbot.ca and direct canada. After confirming the items and prices were current and in stock.I found this a lot easier than having to order everything i wanted include all urls of sites were i found all the prices submitt my order to ncix online and wait for a e-mail confirming if they will match the price or not (they have to check price and avaiability).I would have been declined because of the case and ram and would have to start over without the advice. vladislav the ncix salesman made suggestions of products like the case because ncix does not carry rosewill cases and the ram i found Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB that was on sale $29.99 was out of stock. vladislav checked there site found the g.skill ripjaws which were onsale for 31.99 after a sale and mail-in rebate. then he checked that price on the sites i had mentioned to confirm it was not beathttp://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bounce.. (just enter what you are looking for at shopbot.ca and a lot of sites come up.newegg direct canada tiger direct etc.
    check back though sometimes the site does not come up the next day. no sites are perfect,keep a note of were you found your lowest price and avaiability because ncix will confirm it and match it.) in my opinon ncix in the last 2-3 years has come along way with customer service. they use to be like a wholesaler. they expected you to no what you wanted and what to do with it. any problems deal with the supplier not them. they have sure changed this. i hope this comment is ok.ihope it will help others in canada looking for hardware. i can not say enough about how much they helped me and no i do not work for them or no anyone that does.

    my total was $610 after taxes
    i got really lucky last night a found a cpu Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM for $70 so it really helped my budget. a friend of a friend did not want it.it has never been installed.
    the zalman z9 plus was on sale and a rebate it came to $35.99 i could not pass that up newegg did an unboxing on youtube looks really nice
    hope this reply is not to long winded
  31. Do you plan to do Crossfire (add another 6850) in the future? I've forgotten if you've already been over this. If so, this is good. If not, you could go with an Antec 430W PSU.
    Sweet 965 deal.
  32. kajabla said:
    Do you plan to do Crossfire (add another 6850) in the future? I've forgotten if you've already been over this. If so, this is good. If not, you could go with an Antec 430W PSU.
    Sweet 965 deal.

    that psu was on sale 85 after mail in-rebate might be a little overkill but i can add gpu later
    and i have no idea where 3d is going in the next couple years
    was my post helpfull or did you no about shopbot
  33. hi i have put my system together
    my case Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case Black 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS W/ Fan Controller & Temp Display
    it has a fan control on the case but i was thinking of using fan xpert in the al suite II it is in the asus mobo book.
    i am not sure how to connect the fan connectors. there are 2 3 pin connectors and 1 4 pin on my mobo. the front and top fan are fine
    but the back fan has a 4 pin peripheral connector.

    3 questions is al suite II the way to go

    would it be just as easy to change the back fan

    there are locations on the case for other fans were would i connect them if i add fans in the future

    so i can continue do my start up and install the os and driver updates i might just continue till i hear from you i can do changes later
  34. I take it the back fan has a Molex connector? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Molex_male_connector.jpg
    That will make it impossible to control its speed, but that's probably fine. If there are other fans on the case you won't need to push it to the limit. You can replace it if it's too loud for you on its stock speed.
  35. my case has 2 intake fans (one lower front the other on side case basically blowing on gpu) 2 exhaust fans ( one on the top the other on the back of the case) it has another spot for extra fans on the top of the case and one on the bottom and another on the side beside the fan that blows on the gpu. as you no it is my first build except for the back fan they are all connected to the motherboard i assume asus ai suite ii is controlling them. when i ran furmark it appeared to run that way anyway my question is were would i hook up these other fans if i added any so ai suite would control them happy new year
  36. thank you
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems Product